• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do u think is the saddest anime moment *SPOILERS*

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illumina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
dont forget to explain your choice, and mask spoilers, since not everyone will have watched all the animes mentioned.

I've watched tons of sad animes, and i like them, such as KGNE, Kenshin OVA, Wolf's rain, but the one moment that stands out is in Fushigi Yuugi spoiler[when Nuriko died Crying or Very sad the few episodes before it had established his character perfectly, about his past, and his choices in life, and the scene was just soo well done. Like how he even moved the huge rock b4 his death, and all the imaginary scenes of him and miaka in her world, driving, shopping, and having fun. Sigh...]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
From another recent thread:

dormcat wrote:
Here's a good old thread recommended many excellent dramatic anime.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
i can safely say that the ABSOLUTE saddest, tear-jerking moment i have ever seen was in Saikano

spoiler[when that guy childhood friend dies in his arms after an earthquake i think, or a bombing. D4MN THAT WAS SAD.]
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
"Samurai X" Reflections; both depressing and disapointing. Razz

And almost every favored protagonist's death scene.
bnewhall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of the head, my vote would go for the end of Now and Then, Here and There spoiler[when La-La Ru disappears]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
XCTU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Illumina wrote:
don't forget to explain your choice, and mask spoilers, since not everyone will have watched all the animes mentioned.

I've watched tons of sad animes, and i like them, such as KGNE, Kenshin OVA, Wolf's rain, but the one moment that stands out is in Fushigi Yuugi spoiler[when Nuriko died Crying or Very sad the few episodes before it had established his character perfectly, about his past, and his choices in life, and the scene was just soo well done. Like how he even moved the huge rock before his death, and all the imaginary scenes of him and miaka in her world, driving, shopping, and having fun. Sigh...]
I agree, that almost made me stop watching the series, it was such a huge impact and you totally didn't expect it. soooooo sad.

Then again, it made everyone else's seem not as bad in comparison...
philg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:52 am Reply with quote
you guys are completely forgetting not only the saddest anime scene but it's also THE saddest anime: Grave of the Fireflies spoiler[i forgot his sisters name but when she dies, it's so depressing!!!]
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:46 am Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies and Windaria will definitely leave you sad. The one that beats them and has you both sad and angry at the same time is Apocalypse of Devilman, but I don't recommend that if you can't handle extremely gory scenes (it even puts Kite to shame).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:02 am Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:
Off the top of the head, my vote would go for the end of Now and Then, Here and There spoiler[when La-La Ru disappears]

Ah, that memorable moment. I was expecting that spoiler[Lala-Ru would sacrifice herself to save Shuu and others], so it was sad but not surprising. I got tears in my eyes, just like many other dramatic experience.

Then spoiler[Shuu was teleported back to Japan. His kendo clothings was still lying at the base of the smokestack. The sunset, the very same one as the first time he met Lala-Ru, was just as beautiful as always. It feels like Shuu's days in Hellywood (weeks at least; maybe even months, if he spent long enough in jail), a living hell, was merely a mid-summer night's dream].

Then my tears broke out, uncontrollably. For the first time in 26 years of my life, instead of weeping, I cried out loud after watching/reading a movie/TV/drama/opera/novel. It was a masterpiece of art, thanks to the story by Hideyuki Kurata and music by Taku Iwasaki. The pair also cooperated in Read or Die OVA and TV series, which are excellent anime as well but not as tragic as Now and Then, Here and There.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
Grave of the Fireflies and Windaria will definitely leave you sad. The one that beats them and has you both sad and angry at the same time is Apocalypse of Devilman, but I don't recommend that if you can't handle extremely gory scenes (it even puts Kite to shame).

Yeah, it was sad but if anything, i was pissed off after watching this OVA. i won't even bother to go into what happened within the first 20 minutes or so,but this has got to be Go Nagai's darkest Title since Violence Jack. (then again Violence Jack was too gratuitous..)
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
1. RahXephon episode 19 - spoiler[Ayato promises Hiroko that he will protect her. In the end, when he destroys the Dolem, he ends up killing her.]
2. Figure 17 episode 10 - spoiler[Tsubasa and Shinji develop a relationship when they go out to watch a hot-air balloon festival. A couple of days later, her class receives word that Shinji has passed away.]
3. Figure 17 episode 13 - spoiler[After destroying the Mother Maguar, Figure 17 vanishes and Hikaru dies, having spent all of her lifeforce.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
bnewhall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was blown away by Now and Then, Here and There.

I actually don't find Grave of the Fireflies particularly sad; more tragic and fatalistic.

If you can get your hands on Barefoot Gen, that'll make you so sad you want to tear your eyeballs out. I had to watch it in two sittings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[When the Naruto movie was made] Crying or Very sad
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
spoiler[When the Naruto movie was made] Crying or Very sad

In that case, I got one worse than that:

spoiler[The day GAINAX released the sequel to Gunbuster.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
OTP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, this isn't really "sad," per se, but it did get me a little emotional:

In an episode of Case Closed where a doctor wants to find his missing five-year-old son, spoiler[the man who kidnaps the son admits that he did it because as payback because the doctor operated on his [the kidnapper's] son and it failed. He knew it, but was in denial, so he decided to kill the doctor's son as a hope to help ease the pain. ] A little bit of a tear-jerker. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4