• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mōryō no Hako (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot-Nyan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Mōryō no Hako (TV)

Hi, I'm new to this so please be gentle Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Has anyone watched (and finished) Mouryou No Hako? I've tried to watch it a few times but I'm finding it hard to get into. I can appreciate it and I love the way they animated it- their use of colour was very well done. But is it worth me picking it up again? Thanks

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry for you. -TK]
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Yes it is, but as you've written it's hard to get into. I'd advise you to find someone to watch it together and discuss every episode as I did.
Robot-Nyan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the advice Very Happy I'll do that. I'm too stubborn really, I like to watch every anime I start to at least the end of the first season, even if I don't really like it much. Never know what'll suprise you.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was okay with watching it alone (though I generally prefer that). Makes it easy to pause and think "what the hell did I just watch".
One thing I can say is that the art and art direction are brilliant. Basically what made me watch it in the first place (maybe I'm too impressionable like that, but at least it's very original, for anime).
Robot-Nyan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, I generally prefer to watch anime alone mainly 'cause I prefer subs and I'm a faster reader than the few others that I'd be watching it with so you end up repeating everything for them and get distracted.
It was the art of the anime that has made me want to watch it so much, it is absolutely fascinating and really stands out from the majority... At least I think so anyway. The more sinister subject of the anime drew me in aswell, comedy and romance anime seems to be the trend in a lot of the currently airing series. I do like them, but the exploration of the darker side of human nature sticks with me more and I knew just by the first attempts of watching that it was done better than most could get it.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Robot-Nyan wrote:
But is it worth me picking it up again?
You may or may not have problems with episode six--there's a lengthy discussion on the entomologies of words, for example--but in general the anime makes interesting tonal and narrative shifts as it goes along. Everything does come together in a very satisfying manner, so if you're primarily interested in the hook of a good mystery, you'll at least find that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Mouryou no Hako quite a bit, but even I would admit there are a couple of episodes in the middle that are pretty slow going. I couldn't watch them late in the evening because I'd fall asleep. It's definitely worth the commitment, though.

You might want to take a look at Aoi Bungaku, another Madhouse show from about the same period. It's an anthology of adaptations of famous Japanese novels.
Robot-Nyan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
there are a couple of episodes in the middle that are pretty slow going.

That usually happens I find. I'm not sure whether its done on purpose(?). Who knows...
The only thing that does get irritating is whole episodes just to recap - I understand their use on aired tv, if its only shown like once a week or once every two weeks but I don't know why they include them in dvds since its not like they're telling you anything different. I really enjoyed Monster but that had loads of them.

Quote:
You might want to take a look at Aoi Bungaku

I'll add that one to my list as high priority, it looks good, thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1