• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Am I not helping the industry?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I recently started streaming alot of anime through Hulu Pus and netflix instead of buying the dvd's like i usually do i was just getting tired of waiting until i had the money for dvd's so i thought this was an awesome alternative and so far i have watched tons of anime so i was wondering is streaming helping the industry at all?
The Holy American Empire

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that it supports the industry, just less so than DVD sales would. Merchandise seems to be far more profitable than DVDs or streaming.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
I recently started streaming alot of anime through Hulu Pus and netflix instead of buying the dvd's like i usually do i was just getting tired of waiting until i had the money for dvd's so i thought this was an awesome alternative and so far i have watched tons of anime so i was wondering is streaming helping the industry at all?
Hulu Plus not pus i am sorry for my misspelling
Eri94

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
As long as it is legal, it's supporting the industry infinitely more than doing it illegally ever would.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Fansub sites = Killing the industry.

Some of them have commercial ads posted all over their sites, but not in the episode stream, but the page creators are the ones making the money and not the people who made/distributed the Anime.

Legal sites (Crunchyroll, Funi, Hulu, etc) = Supporting the industry.

When they play commercials (usually before the episodes play) they are making money. Maybe not as much from when they sell DVD/Blu-rays but at least the money they do make is going towards the people who licensed the shows.

So as long as your are watching Anime on legit sites then you are definitely supporting the industries. Smile

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue May 03, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I this is a quantitative, not qualitative, question.

The question isn't "Am I helping OR not helping the industry?," but "How much am I helping the industry?," or "Am I helping the industry enough?"

By the way, I suggest you consider subscribing to CrunchyRoll as they also have a lot of excellent streaming anime (and far more simulcasts than Hulu).

Also, does Hulu Plus actually give any extra options/features/content for anime? I thought all the Funimation stuff on Hulu was the same with or without Plus.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I this is a quantitative, not qualitative, question.

The question isn't "Am I helping OR not helping the industry?," but "How much am I helping the industry?," or "Am I helping the industry enough?"

By the way, I suggest you consider subscribing to CrunchyRoll as they also have a lot of excellent streaming anime (and far more simulcasts than Hulu).

Also, does Hulu Plus actually give any extra options/features/content for anime? I thought all the Funimation stuff on Hulu was the same with or without Plus.
I just started Hulu Plus about a week ago and so far i cannot tell the difference because i have not used regular Hulu yet but im not sure i know that whenever a new one piece airs in Japan it shortly come on Hulu plus not too long after
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I would also suggest subscribing to CR if you are interested in supporting the industry through legal streaming. The way things are headed it looks like Crunchyroll will be simulcasting just about every new show within the next couple years. I've been very satisfied with my CR subscription, my only gripe is some streams are choppy during peak hours but that could be something on my end anyway.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
I think in your case Hiro the only difference between Hulu and Hulu Plus is the fact you are supporting the company that streams legit programming (not necessarily the anime industry), but that can indirectly contribute to anime because Hulu might get a sense of what type of programming contributes to the most Plus subscribers. If lots of Plus subscribers watched exclusively anime on their site it would lead to Hulu promoting more anime and in turn increasing revenue for the clients that provide the shows you watch.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
They are getting ad revenue.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Best way to support the industry is to import DVDs, BluRays and merchandise. However, I don't think it's worth it for a consumer to worry about these things. Buy things when you feel like it, that is all there is.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:

No you are not. Look up licensing. Problem solved.

If you don't understand the convoluted crap or can't apply it:

Anime Industry = 2 Industries. One in America and the one in Japan. The one in America is about as good as dead so lets assume your talking bout the one in Japan (know there is more but ignore others).

The anime Industry in Japan gives those online websites permission to stream their anime. That is the most simplified definition of licensing. The proceeds have already been paid to the company during the negotiation phase-contract phase. When you subscribe to Cruchyroll, Hulu, Netflix.....your money is only going to those online companies. In conclusion, strictly speaking, streaming legally primarily helps the company you have subscribed to. In even more simpler terms:

None of your money reaches the anime industry. Your money only reaches the e-commerce website you subscribed too.

Now, there is this idiotic myth which states, "well if I stream legally then the anime industry will get more licensing opportunities." LOL... no. That is what most retards say when they have no idea how business works. That thought which may sound correct is only a correlation at most. In other words:

Premise 1- Streaming legally
Premise 2- more licensing opportunities
Conclusion- Anime Industry more money X

What was mentioned earlier was the early stages of licensing. Say now, after the company's first license, the company asks the Anime Industry permission to stream another anime. Then, maybe some of your money will go back to the Anime Industry in order to pay for the license. Here is the kicker though. Most licenses are fixed, do not change, and last for years. So say idk, the next Pokemon anime becomes a huge hit and sells like crazy in America. The Anime Industry will get NONE of the American sales. Typically, licensing fees are are extraordinarily less than the sale figures. So in conclusion, America wins and Japan looses. You want your money to go to Japan.

Overall, licensing does not help an industry. In fact, most companies prefer to distribute their own products for obvious reasons. Licensing is just the quick and temporary way to make quick cash. The reason why many companies do licensing is because, small companies do not have the capacity for global distribution. Often, they are forced into unfavorable contracts because the alternative is they make no money. Yes, business in mean. Shark Tank anyone? Wow 33% stake in any company is a rip-off. However, it was either that shitty deal or nothing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
When someone like Crunchyroll or Funimation pay money to get the licence to stream legally, does that money just vanish into thin air? No, it doesn't.

The industry can also look at how many people are watching their anime streamed and use that data to make predictions about future viewings. That data can answer questions like: is viewership by streaming increasing overall or decreasing, and by how much? That gives them an idea of the pool of views which are, for the most part, potential customers. This is useful stuff to know for future contracts.

IMO, the real question is just how directly are you helping the industry: some forms are more direct than others. But clearly, buying US products is far less direct than buying products directly from Japan. OTOH, buying US products helps support the US side of the industry (dubbing, English subtitling, availability in US stores, etc.), which I think is a good thing.

So, IMO, when you use legal means to watch anime, you are helping the industry to some degree. It may be very small, but it is still there. If I really like an anime, I try to buy it, and I also have subscriptions to Netflix and Crunchyroll. I think all of that helps the industry and am confident that I'm doing my part to sustain something I like.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
IMO, the real question is just how directly are you helping the industry: some forms are more direct than others. But clearly, buying US products is far less direct than buying products directly from Japan. OTOH, buying US products helps support the US side of the industry (dubbing, English subtitling, availability in US stores, etc.), which I think is a good thing.

So, IMO, when you use legal means to watch anime, you are helping the industry to some degree. It may be very small, but it is still there.
Pretty much the way I feel about it. Nicely said.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Buying soundtrack albums for unlicensed shows is another strategy. I own the OSTs for shows like Bartender and Dennou Coil that will never see the light of day in R1. Buying the Japanese DVD/BD releases of these shows is useless for me since I don't speak Japanese.

Even though OST CD's are pretty expensive by American standards, they're still a lot more affordable than the DVD/BD releases, and there's no language barrier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3