• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1st Volume of Wolf's Rain + Box+ Extra. A new Trend?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Can we start to see a new trend. In a similar manner to the Limited Edition Anime box, Viz is offering Wolf's Rain plus the box and Collectible 3D lenticular card for 5 dollar more. Can we expect to see more anime being released this way? I've been waiting for manga company to start doing this and if it sell well than we can expect to see more Limiited Edition Manga Box. Forget the duskjacket, bring on the collector's box.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I personally dislike boxes for manga. I can't see them on my bookshelf so it doesn't really matter to me...especially if I don't manage to buy all the volumes. Then it just looks tacky.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hope not. The only useful purpose box sets serve are for using them as bookends, and that only works when they're also fairly thick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I guessing that you don't own any manga boxset (perhaps even anime). If this is the case, dismissing it without trying is like dismissing an anime without watching it.

But I keep my anime on my bookshelft too and it the manga boxset looks just as good as the animebox and it makes no difference without the DVD.

But then again, box are not for everybody, especially those who are not collector and don't complete series they started. I'm a huge anime and dvd collector and it's nice to have things sorted together in a nice neat box.

Also if the extra included are unique and rare, then I think it's worth it.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually wouldn't mind more of it, especially if they're based on the Japanese extras. Comic Blade of Japan, for example, released a "Special edition" of a tankubon whenever they released a title. The special limited edition came with the tankubon, and a little goody, which was usually a neat little statue, or a drama cd. Sometimes the special edition had a different manga cover too.

The box part I'm not so keen on.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I take it that you don't own any manga boxset (perhaps even anime). But I keep my anime on my bookshelft too and it the manga boxset looks just as good as the anmebox.

I don't own any anime or manga box sets, no. However, I do have box sets of Earthsea and The Lord of the Rings that I 'inherited' from my parents (meaning: I read them far more than they do, so they didn't miss 'em). The latter I use to prop up my comics, but the former looked stupid on my shelf, so I just took the books out.

EDIT: Ah. You were replying to liancoop. But it still works.

Last edited by jfrog on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Hope not. The only useful purpose box sets serve are for using them as bookends, and that only works when they're also fairly thick.

Well then what's the point of boxes for Anime then? Use them as DVDend? From what I can tell on the animeondvd forum, people love anime box.

Come on dude.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I own a couple - Peach Girl Authentic, Chobits, Kare Kano anime. I have complete sets of many things, just not with the boxes. If it came down to it, I'd say I'd be more prone to buying boxes for my anime, than manga. If I had a series I was crazy about, I would purchase the box...like Stellvia, I would buy the box for that. Kenshin - No. Since I already own them all and it would be pointless for me. But, Stellvia, Chrno Crusade, etc -- yeah, I'd shell out the money for boxes. But, for manga, and aesthetic reasons, I think my bookshelf looks better with out a half filled box of manga compared to maybe only vols. 2,5,6 by themselves.

I enjoy collecting manga, but perhaps I'm just not as avid a collector as you are. I'm content with my individual volumes of manga and anime.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Like liann, I'm not too big on the boxes because of how they look on a shelf, and shelf space. All my manga line up nicely next to each other. A box would ruin the feng shui. Cool
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I can't stand manga boxsets. I own some anime ones, but I just don't like manga ones for some reason. Its hard to explain.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Boxes were totally awesome until I ran out of shelf space and realized that by getting rid of the totally awesome boxes I could fit more stuff on the shelf. I like the concept and it's cool if you only have a few shows but if you have a big collection they're a pain in the rear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1