• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite genre?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Popple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
What's your favorite/least favorite genre/type of anime and why?

For me my favorite type of anime are the ones that make you think. Beacuse television is so dull and mindless these days. Also because school is to easy for me. Also insanly funny shows like FLCL because its so stupid and funny.

My least favorite is mindless violent and harem genre/eechi. I don't like mindless violent shows cause they usually have no plot and aren't deep/uninteresting characters. The reason I don't like harem/eechi is: Animated characters aren't sexy and harem is as predictable as a episode of scooby doo.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I love Cyberpunk, I am a big Tech freak.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
All of the anime I watch is either action/adventure, science fiction, and mystery/psychological. I like series that have a lot of action and fighting but not to the point where it drags on too much.. blood is cool too Laughing I also like mystery series kind of like Detective Conan and Monster.

The type of anime that I will not watch is boring romance and like shoujo stuff. I'm sure that they're funny but I just find them boring and predictable sometimes, even when i havn't seen the series. I'm sure sometime down the road I'll watch GTO and love it but right now i'm into shonen and I'm not really into romance shows and movies so I pass on that type. I also don't like that hentai/ecchi crap. I just find it digusting and unless you're watching it just to get a good laugh then you're a pretty perverted person.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote
Romance always comes first for me. Then it can be anything from action to comedy to mech or whatever. But romance makes me tick.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mecha

I love war stories. Some(like UC Gundam) deal with the horrors of war & they are some of the most emotional anime I have seen(like most war stories). They have all types of things in mecha like action, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, drama, adventure, etc.

The war machines(mecha) is not the reason I love mecha anime the most, although it a good bonus to have very cool mecha designs & battles.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
Space Opera by far. This genre covers stuff like Captain Harlock and Mobile Suit Gundam. The distinguishing factor is that it mixes scifi with character development and storylines that play out like an opera set in space.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
My favorite type of anime is the comedy ones. Like Azumanga Daioh, and Comic Party. They always make you laugh when you are dull or had a bad day. And you never get tired of watching them.

My least favorite type of anime is probably none. Because I love so many titles, I have no lease favorite. All anime is good to me.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
Comedy and Magical Girl, I like to laugh and Magical Girl just appeals to me. I also like other stuff like Fantasy, SCI-Fi and others too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
SciFi stuff, lots of original and dark SciFi stuff. Also fantasy. Basically anything that has originality or provokes the mind, not recycled and cliche.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:10 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Basically anything that has originality or provokes the mind, not recycled and cliche.

Too much of this makes me go crazy. I need to unwind with some light, fluffy stuff on most week days after work. Come weekend, I whip out my sci-fi, philosophical thriller what-not and blast my brain to little bits.

One of th reasons I love romance so much is how it reminds me of my past.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
What would Elfien Lied and Saikano be under?

I love intense shows like that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tracyteoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for the fantasy + love (not necessary romantic love) combo.. stuff like Juuni Kokki, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Fruits Basket and Midori No Hibi rox! Anime hyper

Next level of favourites is sort of a mixture.. I find myself enjoying swords and guns, stuff like Samurai Deeper Kyo & Hellsing; sports + shonen like Prince Of Tennis, and also comedy.. the Irresponsible Captain Tylor kind. Mr. Green

Dislike repetitions (E.g. too much recap in Wolf's Rain - love the soundtrack though) and 'slowdowns' in storyline (E.g. Rurouni Kenshin had a few sections that became overly draggy). Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Oh yeah.. dun like ecchi too.. Mouse falls into this category right? Question Well, if it's not, I didn't like Mouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
lady_rin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:36 am Reply with quote
Love, romance, comedy, scifi fantasy and faerie tales actually almost anything as long as it isn't too violent or too stupid. I think the anime network should show more of those things than all the robots, super heros.

My Fav: Game player Fubuki - strange
Mahoromatic - the ending was... shouldn't say that.
Nadesico - That's a weired group of people, especially the Capt.
Serial Experiment: Lame - Just that, too confusing.

Lady Rin
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Too much of this makes me go crazy. I need to unwind with some light, fluffy stuff on most week days after work. Come weekend, I whip out my sci-fi, philosophical thriller what-not and blast my brain to little bits.

I like light stuff if its well done and in moderation. However, sometimes cliches really get on my nerves. Something like Scrapped Princess appeals to be because it can be light without being goofy and stupid as well as serious without getting angsty (that gets old sometimes too).
Quote:
What would Elfien Lied and Saikano be under?

I love intense shows like that.

I don't think there is a genre for those. But Now and Then, Here and There would fall under the same catigory as those two (its even more brutal).[/url]
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It's not really a genre per se, but I really love to series that takes the main character(s) and changes the the context which they exist in major ways and then leaves then struggleing to adjust. The more challengeing the adjustment is, and the more percieved conflict with how they previously existed, all the better.
Some examples include--

Ayashi No Ceres
Blue Gender
Haibane Renmei
Some of the GTO storylines (such as the Urumi Kanzaki intro)
Crest of the Stars
Juuni Kokki

All the best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2