• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Anime series/mvoie idea... what do you think?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:02 am Reply with quote
I just had a cool idea when posting on a different topic... has anyone ever seen an anime that is made similar to a wartime drama or actioner... I know there's millions of anime involving war, but what about an anime that focuses on a single platoon of soldiers? I'm thinking along the lines of Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket.

Don't think i've ever seen a Vietnam anime or anything of the like, but it must have been tried before. I could imagine it would be made by Production I.G. much in the style of Jin Roh or Patlabor movies, but neither of them are actually based at full-blown war.

If no anime then I bet there's one or two Mangas that have done this.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
There have been Manga/Anime based on actual war-time events. Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies are two such productions.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The Cockpit: Kamikaze Stories might fit what you are talking about. It's almost impossible to find, but it includes three OVA's set in WW2.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Grave of Fireflies is about the victims who got caught in the war.

I was thinking, how about an anime about the grunts who have to fight the war. What goes through their minds, their fears, their longing to survive and to see their families again, etc. Inevitably, some will die, some will survive. It'll be both a sad, as well as a happy anime, bitter-sweet if you will. But the message that war is senseless and takes no sides because everybody who gets involved in it really is a loser. I think that message is very important to get across.

In the anime, we never get to see the faces of the commanders who hide in their bunkers giving commands and instructions. We only hear their voices coming through the comms sets. That would alienate them enough to make them seem aloof, disconnected, uncaring. I think that makes the suffering of the grunts down at the front lines seem even more tragic.

Make it a human drama set in a war, rather than an outright war anime. That would make it more interesting I think.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Cockpit should be on DVD.
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:02 am Reply with quote
I've heard about Cockpit, supposed to be pretty good. As for grave of fireflies there's no doubt in my mind its an excellent movie, but sounds horribly depressing from what i've heard which doesn't want me to race out and buy it.

Hayashi thats a cool idea and pretty much what I was aiming for. I'm a fan of good war movies, especially the more arty ones like Thin Red line, and think it could translate well into animation.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies isn't as depressing as everyone says it is. When I saw it I was actually surprised at how happy some of the scenes in the middle of the movie were. Still a hell of a film, and you're really missing out if you don't see it.

While a full-blown war film would be pretty neat, it would also be prohibitively expensive unless it was done by Otomo, Oshii, or one of the other big name anime directors. There's just so much constant action everywhere on the screen in war films...I would not envy those animators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EntertainmentBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I should look into those animes.

Argh. I feel so left out. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ogami Itto wrote:
Don't think i've ever seen a Vietnam anime or anything of the like, but it must have been tried before.

The reason for that probably has to due with the fact that the Japanese really can't relate to the Vietnam war considering they had no part in it and that it was a pointless war to begin with. I do agree that Full Metal Jacket is a very good movie but I don't see how a Japanese audience would be interested in a series/movie that they could not relate to, especially in the subject of war.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm surpise they didn't make an anime on Cell phone. They can promote certain cell phone too and there would be crazy fights between the good guy and bad guy using thier cell phone. The fastest and slickest "talker" with the latest cellphone and features would win. (think pokemon). The cell phone would have crazy ability like wireless internet (where they can download new application to thier phone) or bluetooth technology which gives them the advantage over the opponent. Yea sounds cheesy and gimmicky. (I'm kidding btw).
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I'm surpise they didn't make an anime on Cell phone. They can promote certain cell phone too and there would be crazy fights between the good guy and bad guy using thier cell phone. The fastest and slickest "talker" with the latest cellphone and features would win. (think pokemon). The cell phone would have crazy ability like wireless internet (where they can download new application to thier phone) or bluetooth technology which gives them the advantage over the opponent. Yea sounds cheesy and gimmicky. (I'm kidding btw).

The main character in Gatekeepers 21 fights using cell phones. I thought it was pretty silly myself.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
The main character in Gatekeepers 21 fights using cell phones. I thought it was pretty silly myself.

Yes, yes. She had several dozen cell phones, each of them programmed with different Gate abilities and ready for expendability. I thought it was COOL Razz.
Tequila

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Ogami Itto wrote:
I know there's millions of anime involving war, but what about an anime that focuses on a single platoon of soldiers? I'm thinking along the lines of Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket. (...)
If no anime then I bet there's one or two Mangas that have done this.

That would be a good idea. On the technical side it would be difficult (and expensive..) to animate battle scenes, so it would require a studio of a Ghibli size.

Also the topic at hand IS really, really delicate. Chances are that it would turn into overblown patriotic bull. Mindset here (in Europe) is that every war movie should carry a strong anti-war message, but personally I think when a movie depicts war as realistic as possible it will turn you off violence anyways. Also I believe its naive to think that a movie can prevent wars. Nonetheless mainstream audiences here do shun war movies if they think the anti-war message is not strong enough or if it is too patriotic.

I dont think there would be a great audience for such a kind of anime. And lots of people here find it distracting if an animation carries a story that is not in the fairy tales or kids genre. I heard its like that in the USA too and there are surely many people who think that way even in Japan. Problem is the real money is with the casual anime / mainstream audience.

But who knows Wink If it should be made I would take a look at it.

Nice that you mention Manga too, I just ordered the first volume of "Apocalypse Meow" which supposedly is a story about the vietnam war.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Tequila wrote:
Also the topic at hand IS really, really delicate. Chances are that it would turn into overblown patriotic bull. Mindset here (in Europe) is that every war movie should carry a strong anti-war message, but personally I think when a movie depicts war as realistic as possible it will turn you off violence anyways. Also I believe its naive to think that a movie can prevent wars. Nonetheless mainstream audiences here do shun war movies if they think the anti-war message is not strong enough or if it is too patriotic.

I dislike when movies get too preachy about almost anything. I want a director to show me a good story, not try to convince to embrace whatever cause he/she might support.

A good example of this is The Wings of Honnemaise. The original movie (Japanese) had a clear anti-war/violence message, but it was handled in a subtle way. It was really cool how the director respected his viewers enough to present all the information and then let US come to our own conclusions about what it all meant. However, when they dubbed it into English they thought the message wasn't obvious enough, so they had Shiro spouting whole lines of pro-peace verbiage in the last few moments where there was originally silence. Evil or Very Mad It lessoned the dramatic impact of the movie for me.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I think we all agree that war is really stupid. What I meant was to show it from the point of view of those actually fighting the war. Make it a drama about human relationships during a war, their trials and tribulations. I don't intend it to be an outright anti-war message, but make it subtle. Seeing how the grunts suffer through a war, I think that makes a strong enough statement without having someone yell at you about the stupidity of war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2