• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unintentional hilarity?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I just have to share this.....

So I'm watching one of the last episodes of Blue Gender when there's a scene wherespoiler[ Marlene and Yuji are engaging in sexual intercourse.] Cue this commercial: Kaiser Permanente extolling its obstetrics services! Surprised Anime catgrin

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added ~Zalis]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Unintentionally funny?
Well, I don't know that commercial, and the only Kaiser I know is a beer brand, so unless you explain why you thought it was funny I won't get it.

Similarly, I found Yosuga no Sora's sex scenes hilarious. Specially from the second arc onwards.
On the second arc, we have a character archetype quite rare in romantic relationships. Now, imagine that character spoiler[having sex].
Third arc had the "slutty neighbour" who spoiler[raped] the protagonist when he was young. The spoiler[rape] scene was quite funny because she left him with his naked butt facing the moon.
After that they were spoiler[sexually interacting] when the protagonist's sister caught both and he kept banging the girl even though she realized his sister was there, while he was a bit slow in realizing that fact; which made this scene awkwardly funny.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
@egoist:

Sorry, it didn't occur to me to provide a link. K.P. is a "non-profit" health insurance company with a business model that's remarkably different from most other companies: They hire their own medical staff to provide health care.

And about this thread's title: Zalis changed it from "Unintentional Hilarity" to "Unintentional hilarity?" Don't ask me what the reason was as I don't know.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
@egoist:
And about this thread's title: Zalis changed it from "Unintentional Hilarity" to "Unintentional hilarity?" Don't ask me what the reason was as I don't know.

I changed it. Wasn't sure if you were asking if others ran into the same situation or if you were simply making a statement that you discovered it yourself.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
If you want to know what I found unintentionally hilarious, than a good portion of Code Geass would count.

TvTropes even has a page just to list every scene that people found unintentionally hilarious.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Narm/CodeGeass
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I changed it. Wasn't sure if you were asking if others ran into the same situation or if you were simply making a statement that you discovered it yourself.
Oh, I see.

Well, I'm not going to change it (Charred Knight's response has me quite curious as to what other responses might get engendered); but please allow me to state that my intent was to relate something that I was sure was not experienced by very many people (after all, what are the odds that that one particular scene would be followed by that K.P. commercial? Anime catgrin Anime smile
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If you want to know what I found unintentionally hilarious, than a good portion of Code Geass would count.

TvTropes even has a page just to list every scene that people found unintentionally hilarious.

You know, the mere existence of that webpage seems to be a bit unintentionally hilarious in and of itself. Funny how that works. Wink

Anyway, this is a very interesting but necessarily subjective topic.

I don't find real or perceived unintentional laughs to be that bad unless it's the only thing you can possibly get in return for investing your time and patience. Which, curiously enough, doesn't happen to me that often. I don't mind chuckling at a number of things...but if I watch any given show that's longer than your average movie length all the way to the end, it better have something else of genuine interest to me.

You've already brought up Code Geass, in particular, but I'd add that both Shiki and Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector classify as series with several elements that I do find hilarious from time to time, without making them count as a negative. Respectively, they involve ridiculous hairstyles and in-your-face fanservice, among other things, even in situations that are presumably supposed to be serious. Yet I think they're still interesting and entertaining anime all the same.

Another example happens to be Higurashi, where some of the characters make rather bizarre facial expressions. In spite of that, it's probably one of my favorite shows and my enjoyment of it didn't really depend on this. After some time, I didn't even think of that.

Perhaps the most straightforward instance I'll mention here would be Fight! Iczer-One, which has the late Kaneto Shiozawa's voice coming out of a woman's body. There's a lot assorted weirdness in there too, but I almost couldn't get around that specific part.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I don't find real or perceived unintentional laughs to be that bad unless it's the only thing you can possibly get in return for investing your time and patience. Which, curiously enough, doesn't happen to me that often.

My own experience has been very much along these lines. I haven't encountered many such instances and when I have they haven't really impaired my enjoyment of the story. It's pretty much the same for me when it comes to the use of the often maligned cliches in anime. As long as the story permits me to suspend my disbelief I'm going to be more interested in how well it's executed than I am focused on the use tropes or the appearance of any minor hiccups along the way.

I can vaguely recall a couple of scenes from Virus Buster Serge that I thought were quite hilarious but I doubt many here have seen it and the details now escape me. However, I feel it would be criminal (considering the subject of this thread) to neglect mentioning an example that we should all be aware of and that would be the immortal Garzey's Wing along with Mad Bull 34 and Angel Cop.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about the rest of you but during the first episode of Otome Yokai Zakuro I laughed out loud when you're first introduced to Kushimatsu.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Mars of Destruction and Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned. Reaching an amazing level of suck is the best way to go about unintenional hilarity.

Also, this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7Cp3GsyxQ
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow ... just .... wow that was worse than He-man!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Definitely Mars of Destruction and Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned. Reaching an amazing level of suck is the best way to go about unintenional hilarity.

Also, this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7Cp3GsyxQ

Wow..... definitely Mystery Science Theater 3000 material.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, about the only good thing I can say about Umineko no Naku Koroni is that it made me laugh a lot. I don't think it was ever meant to be a comedy though. But when you've got spoiler[goat butlers, energy swords/shields, crazy bunny girls, the devil represented by 7 bishoujo, and the main character still refusing to believe the witch can kill everyone despite it happening over and over again, ]just about the only thing I can do is laugh about the inanity of it all.

Oh, and I guess the music was pretty good too. So there's two good things I can say.
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear god why haven't you come to me sooner

I am a connoisseur of unintentional hilarity first of all this gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISmPmdUhYA

My avatar is a character from the most Unintentionally hilarious thing I have ever seen Solar Adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ucmplBeug

I have plenty more where that came from my friend
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
EVERY SCENE in Gundoh Musashi is hilarious, look at around 35 seconds here where the lady's arm is cut off (no, not in that sense I mean it just wasn't fully drawn). Someone was clever enough to put Gundoh Musashi into the Cowboy Bebop opening and it's just awesome. I especially just love the last thirty seconds or so.

And we all know that Garzey's Wing is comic gold, I can't tell if they seriously thought that dub was good or what, but if you've ever seen the entire thing, you should hear their classy "pulling masking tape off a roll really fast" sound effect used for drawing back the string on a bow. I don't think this clip show even shows the guy who sounds kinda like Barney.

Pokemon is a gold mine of unintentional comedy too, sometimes they most certainly do make jokes on purpose, but sometimes they do things like this. And this, of course this, this one too, and their awkward looking animation edits of hilarity
Ok Pokemon, how will you make us laugh next with your hilarious errors and terrible editing?
*edit, oh man, I forgot the Pokerap itself, 2:35, says Graveler, they say Graveler that's.....not a picture of Graveler.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2