• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trends in anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelfreakz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Hi guys! im new here but hoping you guys can help me. I only watch rather mainstream animes but recently stopped due to the newer animes not being so nice or i'd rather read the manga. Does anyone have any insights about the trends in anime and has any opinions about it?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like a question that can (maybe should?) be posed to the "Hey, Answerman!" Column.

And by the way, welcome to the forums.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The biggest trend over the past year is that the huge moe boom which has dominated the previous couple of years has largely petered out. We saw a couple of major moe titles earlier this year (Sora no Woto and K-ON!! - i.e. "the sequel") and some other prominent uber-moe characters (e.g. Angel in Angel Beats!), but moe-centric elements are nowhere near as prominent in the last 3-4 season as they previous have been.

Beyond that, probably the most noteworthy trend I've seen in the past couple of years is the push for increasingly edgier fan service. Plain ol' nudity just isn't enough anymore; in-your-face sexuality and raunchy humor have gotten drastically more daring of late. Fan service-oriented harem series have gradually been getting more salacious over the past few years, but fan service in general seemed to take a big jump up with Spring 2009's Queen's Blade. Since then we've seen a plethora of shows which mix heavily sexual elements in with their fan services, including Seikon no Qwaser, (arguably the most intense such title to date), B Gatta H Kei, KissxSis, Yosuga no Sora, Dance in the Vampire Bund (arguably), Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and at least a couple of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Part of the edginess seems to have presented itself in the form of incest themed or suggestive shows- played for comedy or seriously, particularity brother and sister complex show. KissXsis TV shows and continuing OVAs, Yosuga no Sora, Oreimo(suggestive),MM, the Aki Sora OVA (although that was practically hentai) and next season's I don't like you at all, Big Brother! all include the subject,

Not sure if it's a trend or just a symptom though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angelfreakz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm thanks guys! kinda agree in the moe part. I think some of the older animes are so much better than the animes nowadays. Anyone have any websites or links about the trends?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Some trends I have noted:

* Streaming anime is becoming a bigger market while media (DVD) is leveling off.

* More titles are showing up in the US without an English dub (but with sub-titles of course).

* The good stuff is getting better. The mediocre-to-bad stuff is getting worse.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Trends i've noticed --

-Moe has become the new definition of "good anime"

-Anything KyoAni makes, it sells.

-There's at least one show everyone's gonna bash no matter what every season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kmurry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Hi I'm new as well. Some of the things I have seen is that there is not a lot of fighting anime coming out. I like the anime that is coming out don't get me wrong, but I would love to see more fighting anime to come out. Just sayin..............
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
kmurry wrote:
Hi I'm new as well. Some of the things I have seen is that there is not a lot of fighting anime coming out. I like the anime that is coming out don't get me wrong, but I would love to see more fighting anime to come out. Just sayin..............

watch the old stuff from 1985-1999.
its still awesome, and there is lotz that have yet to be seen.

on topic now.
waaaaay too many dudes wearing belly shirts.
enough is enough with that.

at least they haven't put vegeta in a belly shirt type saiyan outfit in DBZ kai.
at least, not yet:/
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
B Gatta H Kei, KissxSis, Yosuga no Sora, Dance in the Vampire Bund (arguably), Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and at least a couple of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Strike Witches 2, Sora no Otoshimono Forte + the announcement of the movie and Motto To Love-Ru come to mind as well haha.

This may not be a trend but I've been seeing a quite few slice of life gag shows with some japanese flare. These are commonly done by Shaft and include Natsu no Arashi, Arakawa Under the Bridge (both which received sequels) and now currently Soredemo. [/b]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Strike Witches 2, Sora no Otoshimono Forte + the announcement of the movie and Motto To Love-Ru come to mind as well haha.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm not talking about just general fan service-focused shows, like Motto To Love-Ru. I'm talking about ones that go to extremes with strongly-implied sexual content. For instance, Seikon no Qwaser had a loli lesbian S&M queen who had another girl as a virtual slave and rewarded her by allowing her slave to perform certain sex acts on her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Some trends I have noted:

* Streaming anime is becoming a bigger market while media (DVD) is leveling off.
Well, tangible media is still the most profitable market for companies like Funimation, but yeah, streaming is growing thanks to things like Crunchyroll.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a small trend, but does there seem to be a spate of shows featuring Dead and Living Dead People as characters? At least a bit more than in previous decades. I'm talking about Shana, Shikabane Hime, Shigofume, Buso Renkin and including recent vampire shows that treat vampires as just these guys that happen to have a thing for blood and are maybe a bit stronger or long lived than normal humans. Shows in which characters have died and are either brought back to life through some act of providence or mystical dohicky, or shift to another existence after death.

I admit it's always been present but it seems more prevalent these days.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
There is usually atleast one episode of an anime concerning a phony priest using religion to manipulate people.

There is also usually an episode where the characters go in a bath house in which the side female characters will question the main female character about her relationship with the main character whereas she will respond "no no you have it all wrong, nothing is going on" while blushing or something to that extent.

I've noticed atleast one those in Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin (filler), and Gurren Lagaan. Atleast that's all I recall at the moment.

EDIT: I guess these are more recycled situations than trends.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I might be crazy, but I feel like a strong trend in 2010 was anime comedies. I know there have always been plenty of anime comedies before, but it seemed like this year was over saturated with quick witted comedy shows. Am I the only one who got that impression? Maybe there are so many this year because anime is trying to bounce out of the moe whole and figured that the best way to reach a general audience was through comedies that everyone could enjoy. But again, I might just be over thinking all of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1