• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question on Gundam Seed [your opinion?]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
My name is William Bier and I am just wondering if their is anybody out there that saw my letter in the August 2004 issue of Newtype USA. The reason why I am asking is because I would like to know if there are people that agree with what I said. I wrote about my distaste for Seed and was just wondering if anyone else felt that same way?

[topic changed to reflect content -b]
CyberSilver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry nope, can you post a copy of the article here for us who dont read that magazine?

edit: Cop to Copy
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you should provide the source or post the text only at the very least. And I like Seed; you are probably a UCer but even they like Seed. I wonder what your complaint said...
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Oops sorry about that, here it is.

Our names are William Bier and Mike Felber. We are loyal fans of Mobile Suit Gundam (minus G Savior and Turn A) and its 3 alternate universes of G Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam X. However one of the recent incarnations of the Gundam franchise has greatly disappointed us. We find Gundam Seed to be an atrocity.

We feel that Seed stole a lot from all of these series especially the Universal Centuary and Gundam Wing. The evidence is there people all you have to do is look at it and then look at the Gundams of the past and you shall see the truth.

Gundam is an amazing series that we love and appreciate. We know many other Gundam and Anime fans seem to like Seed however we do not see why. We wrote this with the purpose to vent our anger and to let people know that a serious crime has been commited.

The other person who wrote this with me is also on the ANN forum. His name is Jinchuu.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yup! I helped! Anime smile *but I only edited the letter not wrote it, our dislike of Seed varies at many levels and over many things* heh.

The letter appeared in the issue which ironically had Gundam Seed on the cover.

We were just wondering if anyone else felt the same as we do that the Gundam community has been cheated?

This is an opinion question and the liking or disliking of Seed will not mean your demise.

We just want the general anime population thinks of this. That's all. Anime smile

Last edited by RedvsBlue on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
We feel that Seed stole a lot from all of these series especially the Universal Centuary and Gundam Wing. The evidence is there people all you have to do is look at it and then look at the Gundams of the past and you shall see the truth.

Actually, aside from the original, just about every Gundam series has "stolen" liberally from prior entries in the franchise. SEED wasn't the first, nor will it be the last.

JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
We wrote this with the purpose to vent our anger and to let people know that a serious crime has been commited.

Serious crime? Please. It's cool to voice your opinion & all but don't be so melodramatic over it. So you don't like the show. Great, go you. But that doesn't make what has arguably become the biggest Gundam title since Zeta (at least in Japan, anyway) a "crime" of any sort.

Again, not trying to cut into you or bash your opinion, but to declare it "obscene" or "criminal" is just silly, I'm sorry.

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CyberSilver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
! They all stole the blue gundam from the origional series. I mean... Come off it. Look at any Gundam and they have eliments from others. This one more so then others, Ill admit. But still, it has intresting characters, interesting (If not cliche) plot. I LOVE some of the new aspects. Like the gundam computer. As far as I know the gundam never worked like that (Cubes and propertys and all) and all. Yes its a mix of old and new. A whole lotta old Ill admit, again, but its still likeable in my (And others) opinions.

Edit: Damnit Nagisa beat me to it....

Last edited by CyberSilver on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
We wrote this with the purpose to vent our anger and to let people know that a serious crime has been commited.

A serious crime? A serious crime?!?! A company in Japan made a show with THEIR franchise that you don't like, and you think it's a serious crime? The anime industry doesn't cater to you.
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
A serious crime? hahaha, okay well that was good laugh, well moving on.
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote
So I take it besides my friend all those that have posted are Seed fans.
CyberSilver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
dude just because we dont think its bad dont mean we are fans. I like it but I wouldnt call myself a fan.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember reading that. Congrats on getting into the mag. From what I've seen - and that's not too much - I've so far enjoyed SEED. But then again, I'm a sucker for GIANT MECHA ACTION!
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We know many other Gundam and Anime fans seem to like Seed however we do not see why.

i liked it because i liked the character development, the take on war, the character design, the music, and some of the plot. there are several reasons why i dislike it, but overall i thought it was still fun to watch and kept me hooked... i marathoned it quite a bit.

i haven't seen any other gundams, nor do i plan to.
and personally i don't see how it's an atrocity that they borrowed things in the gundam franchise. i mean, no one wrote to nintendo saying that super mario world generously borrowed off of super mario bros. 3 and called it a "serious crime."

i understand that people don't like it... maybe it has a more mainstream flavor to it that some people don't like. maybe it doesn't require reading a fake engineering manual before you watch it. but you don't have to hate on any of the fans.
quaze6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
i saw one or two episodes of seed . it looked like a good series, but i haven't watched any of the other gundam series acept for sd , which blew monkey balls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A serious crime? A serious crime?!?! A company in Japan made a show with THEIR franchise that you don't like, and you think it's a serious crime? The anime industry doesn't cater to you.

That's a valid and good point but usually the fan make the anime. Without fans anime does badly and get cancelled. But I can see why Gundam Seed would certainly be an exception to this because:

1. Just from reading this topic replies it seems we're *as in people who dont like Seed* are the minority

2. I dont think any Gundam series will be cancelled during it's initial run of television for a long long time. It sucks the industry usually doesn't cater to the fan or else I'd have Samurai Champloo airing on CN right now. Laughing

Quote:
i mean, no one wrote to nintendo saying that super mario world generously borrowed off of super mario bros. 3 and called it a "serious crime."

Another valid point. But unlike Super Mario World and Super Mario 3 I dont feel Gundam Seed was done well. Super Mario World took the good elements and made them better.

With Seed. I feel they took some of the great elements from Gundam Wing and the Original Mobile Suit Gundam but didn't formulate it into a working anime. It just feels jarred to me like they tried to force it together and didn't take the time and effort that's been put into most of the rest of the Gundam franchise.

However I do like the plot with two friends on the opposite side *close to Amuro & Char but with a great twist* and it feels like its fresh and new and could have been a great concept if put into another Gundam series. Maybe Seed Destiny will fix this problem but It's too early to make assumptions.

Quote:
But that doesn't make what has arguably become the biggest Gundam title since Zeta (at least in Japan, anyway) a "crime" of any sort.

With all the comments on that part of the article I'm getting suprised Newtype put it in the publication run. Anime smile Perhaps too melodramatic but it does get the point across I think.

I hope people know I'm not trying to bash their opinions, just responding to some interesting thoughts that have been brought up.

Last edited by RedvsBlue on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7