• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime couples that just DON'T work.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
sykosteve wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned shuffle. personally, I was pleased with the end result of that show.

Yes I thought that was a far better ending than most of those kind of harem series...apart from the whole spoiler[suicide] thing...

As much as I wanted spoiler[Sia or Kaede] to nab Rin in the end, I was also satisfied with the ending as well, seeing how spoiler[well Asa & Rin got along with each other]. Though a small part of me still thinks that somebody from the "real competition" should've won, at least.

sykosteve wrote:
I was almost sure he would choose any of the other girls over her in the end, despite how obvious it is that they are perfect for each other.

Well, except Primula, that is. it was pretty much obvious that she wouldn't be the one.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved the whole show, including the ending and spoiler[suicide thing] of SHUFFLE!, I thought it was better how you didn't actually know who he was going to choose until the end, in others you see that the main character clearly has much more feelings for at least one of the other girls and that's who he wants, but in this he didn't and that made it feel a little better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
I know this might seem ridiculously obvious but Yukito and Mizuki from Air TV are an anime couple that just DON'T work...especially since if they're close to each other spoiler[they both die.]

Apart from that I'll also agree that Light and Misa from Death Note is a sad affair that shouldn't exist. A masochist and a sadist should never be coupled. I like Misa, I think she's a really interesting character but there's just not enough in their relationship for them to spoiler[[irony]even know each other[/irony].]Razz
firestarter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Shocked wow Its funny how i was watching some anime and was thining about the couples in anime. Personaly, Inuyasha, Naruto, FMP, and Tsubasa Chronicle come to mind. What bother me is how long it takes for the characters in these story take to actually express there emotion for one another, some time it feels like forever or in some cases a few season. I really dont need to explain it cause I'm sure everyone here has notice that alot of anime seem to drag and drag the relationship between characters as soon as you think they are about to confess there love Sad something come between them and those emotion become set aside. The love triangle between Inuyasha, Kagome Higurashi, and Kikyo use to bother me alot cause Inuyasha being so indecisive he could never make up his mind of whom he wanted, either, Kagome or the corps Kikyo Cool Inuyasha you player stringing those two girls along you naughty boy Very Happy . In Naruto, waiting for the day when Hinata Hyuga finally confesses to Naruto her feeling for him seems to take forever and I thought I was shy Shocked thought I think both would make a cute couple the endless wait seem to take its toll. Sorry if my replay may be a bit off topic. I did'nt want to make a post topic also dealing with couple so I just added this one Crying or Very sad
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Syaoran and Sakura- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
I absolutely love Syaoran and Sakura's relationship in Cardcaptor Sakura, I rooted for them all the way. But in TRC, where Syaoran becomes this boy-mary-sue who is always nice, it became sickengingly sweet. Although...MAJOR SPOILERS
spoiler[A tattooed figure who appears identical to Syaoran can be seen floating in a tank in Fei Wong and Xing Huo's headquarters (who, instead of being blind in the right eye, seems to be blind in the left). In the manga, the tattooed figure escapes and, with the assistance from Xing Huo, was sent to the Witch of Dimensions, Yūko Ichihara (this Syaoran makes an appearance in xxxHOLiC in volume 9). It has been revealed that this Syaoran was actually the original Syaoran, but Fei Wong captured him and created a clone, who is the protagonist Syaoran. Fei Wong's intention was to use the copy to collect all of Sakura's feathers for him, but the original Syaoran gave half of his own heart to the clone (his left eye) and put a seal on the clone's right eye. At first Fei Wong did not care if Syaoran had feelings, as long as he had the determination to get the feathers and let the child go without removing Syaoran's alterations. Everything had been going as he had planned until he was met with interference in the form of the Witch of Dimensions.

Once the original Syaoran broke free from Fei Wong's hands, the main protagonist's right eye seal also broke (which is the reason why the protagonist's right eye was blind), for the heart did not actually belong to him but the Syaoran who was trapped by Fei Wong. Though the original Syaoran had hoped the clone had developed feelings of his own after his long journey, the copy became ruthless being apparently without any feelings or heart, hurting his friends mentally and physically (including Fay D. Flourite whose left eye, since his eyes are the source of his magic, was removed and consumed by the copy) in order to eliminate anyone from interfering with the collection of feathers. Once he collected all of Sakura's feathers, the copy left behind his companions, including his childhood friend, Sakura.]
...so I still have hope. BTW this description is from Wikipedia, but I believe it is accurate because I have seen scans.

Morita/Hagu- Honey and Clover
Though Morita is in love with Hagu, he never truly expressed these feelings. Takemoto honestly loves Hagu, so it would be unfair to him if she chose Morita. Plus, I don't think they're compatible, Morita's craziness might be hard to handle for little Hagu.
DaphHime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Shikamaru and Temari Naruto-
I just don't see this working. At all. Maybe it's because I'm a Shika/Ino shipper. At least Ino knows Shikamaru (she's on his team after all) and knows how to deal with him, while Temari (from what I've seen) just doesn't have a clue. Shikamaru doesn't like overbearing women, and Temari is just way, way too overbearing for him. While Ino knows excatly what buttons to push and not to push. Personally I think Temari is a bigger bitch than Ino, but that's just me. Too cold hearted.

Ichigo and Orihime Bleach-
Not sure on this one, but I can easly see Orihime's attention shift from Ichigo to Ishida. Plus Ichigo seems to care about Rukia quite a bit.

I agree, Syaoran and Sakura made my stomach churn from all the sweetness, and I'm a pretty big hopeless romantic. Heck, I watch/read Tsubasa mainly for Fai and Kurogane's interactions. Repressed yaoi couple anyone? Laughing
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Morita/Hagu- Honey and Clover
Though Morita is in love with Hagu, he never truly expressed these feelings. Takemoto honestly loves Hagu, so it would be unfair to him if she chose Morita.

I don't agree.

Morita expresses his love towards Hagu many times. He chases after her/teases her, he makes her a wooden brooch, he even spoiler[kisses her in an unexpected moment].

Takemoto is a good guy and some sort of caring "brother" for Hagu, but his personality and action isn't that of a potential lover, at least not until he matured somewhat from his long trip to Hokkaido. Morita on the other hand synchronizes more with Hagu because he's an art genious like her and is a more independent adult overall.

That's one of the strong points of the series. The Takemoto-Hagu-Morita love triangle makes painfully clear that even if the audience identifies most with Takemoto and roots for him - because he's the main narrator -, he has no real chance against Morita. It's a perfect demonstration of one-sided love.

Nevertheless, the series also makes clear that although Morita has the bigger chance to be Hagu's lover than Takemoto, in the end spoiler[she chooses neither of them and stays with Hanamoto Shuuji].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
^I haven't seen the show in a year, so I don't remember all the details. I don't really remember Morita kissing Hagu. Neutral
And also, I might be mistaken, spoiler[at the end of H&C 2, Hagu gives Takemoto a gift, so I interpreted that as Hagu reciprocating his feelings...?]
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
I think Morita and Hagu would have been a really good couple. Hagu would've developed and become a much stronger person if she had chosen Morita because he is very independent and would have taught Hagu how to live without being so protected all the time. Hagu is a very irresponsible character and very dependent, it's pretty obvious since she only looks like a child and has an unhealthy innocence and naivety. When she spoiler[chose Shuu-chan at the end of season 2 I would say that is an anime couple that just DOESN'T work. Not really because they're cousins, since that isn't so strange in Japan, but because he's almost like a father figure to her. He does everything for her and pretty much gives her his life - which even in a normal and healthy marriage shouldn't really happen. Without getting too philosophical or serious about fictional characters, I do think that Shuu-chan is a really bad person for Hagu to be around, let alone live with, marry and spend her future with.]

Takemoto on the other hand would have given Hagu a much more normal life. It would have been very romantic but a little bit superficial since the only way that they communicated properly was through their art. Their serious conversations only ever involved their artworks and not really their honest feelings for each other except for spoiler[the night at the fireworks when Takemoto tells her that he loves her Rolling Eyes ]. Morita on the other hand gave her advice when spoiler[she cut her hand in season 2, he kissed her, he became pretty obsessed with her almost instantly at the beginning of the series even though he didn't show his romantic feelings.]

Well, it's kind of embarrassing talking about cartoon characters like that but the truth is.... any sexual relationship a character like Hagu is in would be kinda wrong since she looks about 8 years old and has the mind of a 12 year old. The first time she appeared I was like "what the hell is that thing.. even for anime that's weird!", but I grew to love her - she's just so adorable! Anime catgrin
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
When she spoiler[chose Shuu-chan at the end of season 2 I would say that is an anime couple that just DOESN'T work. Not really because they're cousins, since that isn't so strange in Japan, but because he's almost like a father figure to her. He does everything for her and pretty much gives her his life - which even in a normal and healthy marriage shouldn't really happen. Without getting too philosophical or serious about fictional characters, I do think that Shuu-chan is a really bad person for Hagu to be around, let alone live with, marry and spend her future with.]

Well, it's kind of embarrassing talking about cartoon characters like that but the truth is.... any sexual relationship a character like Hagu is in would be kinda wrong since she looks about 8 years old and has the mind of a 12 year old. The first time she appeared I was like "what the hell is that thing.. even for anime that's weird!", but I grew to love her - she's just so adorable! Anime catgrin

I hate spoiler[Hagu's choice]! spoiler[Shuu-chan should be with Rika! ]*fangirl angsty cry*
I agree on the sentiment that Hagu looks weird with anyone. She's like 3 feet tall and imagining her having a child isn't a pleseant image. At all. But she's so cute! I love Hagu-chan :3.
Now that I'm rewatching the series, I do see the fact that Morita and Hagu could be a good couple. But I still like Takemoto and Hagu more, maybe because I identify with his struggles.
Froot Loop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
DaphHime wrote:
Ichigo and Orihime Bleach-
Not sure on this one, but I can easly see Orihime's attention shift from Ichigo to Ishida. Plus Ichigo seems to care about Rukia quite a bit.

I agree with this, but also, don't forget about Renji. He also cares for Rukia, though it is hard for me to tell who Rukia cares for more: Ichigo or Renji?

Basically I am undecided upon Ichigo+Orihime, Ichigo+Rukia, and Rukia+Renji.

It's like a love rectangle or something

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Geez, I really need to get through the rest of Honey and Clover season 2, so I can click on those spoiler tags! I always thought Hagu was too mousy to make a good romantic partner for anyone, but hey, maybe the events I haven't witnessed yet will prove me wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
For me it was very painful to finish H&CII, I don't know why but season one was a real gem for me and I was very reluctant to see things change even though it hadn't really ended nicely enough.
Aya420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the couple that just doesn't work, That blue haired girl in rumbling hearts and Takayuki. I despise them both. That girl [short hair, the one that falls into a coma] is so much sweeter. The blue haired one is a slut, she’s a man stealer and an unfaithful friend.

I somewhat agree with you! spoiler[I hate that Takayuki is with Mitsuki (the blue haired girl) and that he is not with Haruka. But Mitsuki is not a slut, she is just in love. They really didn't do anything wrong. I was just a case of circumstances. although I do wish that Haruka (the one that falls in to a coma) and Tajkyuki would have ended up together.] I just watched the last DVD and it made me so sad. Anime cry

These characters you will remember long after the credits roll Very Happy

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added -- Do NOT give away endings like this. I would've been *pissed* if I'd read this before finishing Rumbling Hearts. ~Zalis]
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
I already made a previous post, but I just thought of another anime couple that I don't like.

I am currently re-watching the Vision of Escaflowne, and I realized that Hitomi-Van and Hitomi-Allen just doesn't work. In fact, any couple with Hitomi with it would never work. I just feel that she doesn't have any charisma, and she's not even that pretty to begin with, which makes me wonder why a lot of guys like her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4