• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Director Wants to Put Mario in Possible Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
While I hear a lot of ya'll complaining about Wreck it Ralph but imo its by far the best movie of the year. So much detail that I didn't notice when I went to see it the first time. I mean, we have cameo's everywhere and DIsney even went back in time a little in their history to include a "Sonic Says" cameo (which I found hilarious), I found the movie to be really well written and really enjoyable. When I went to see the movie in theatres for the first timespoiler[ I was actually shocked to see that King Candy was Turbo] and things really don't suprise me a lot. I can't wait to see a sequel and I hope it lives up to its name (unlike a certain movie about talking Cars that made a horrible sequel)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Yeah I got to admit Pixar is pretty bad too. Dreamworks is probably the worst out of them all I just hate how we can't have a movie here without some Hollywood actor playing a 'voice' actor. I swear, they make these dang movies entirely around getting certain Hollywood actors to do the voices and just push them more than the actual movie itself.

I get where you're coming from. Regular VAs should get their props too, and some now do. Yet celebrities are sometimes necessary to get more people excited about the show.

And if ya think about it, anime does the same thing, except it's the celebrity seiyuu who get invited. Yes, they're seiyuu and that's good, but they're also celebrities nonetheless. So they're being used the same way.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

There's a chart of Wreck it Ralph's voice actors by their characters and it's amazing how similar they look to the point of unoriginality. It's like that's the only way anyone over the age of 10 could enjoy these films is to took them by bragging how a Saturday Night Live star is voicing a character.

Nowadays, animation is not selling just the characters but also the whole persona surrounding the characters - and that includes the celebrity VAs and seiyuu. That's why when the shows are released, the VAs always do the usual talk show round, and the seiyuu attend events dressed up to look like their characters as close as possible - all to promote the shows. It's no longer just the character itself anymore.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I don't watch anime dubbed so I can't comment but if they do that with Ghibli's stuff as well that's a damn shame.

Yes, even Studio Ghibli in Japan does the same thing, except they use Japanese live-action celebrities instead of anime celebrities, albeit Miyazaki is more selective on who he picks.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies alone have more substance than any of these movies they shouldn't have to stooping to their level and resort of name dropping to get an audience for those films. It sounds like from posts here most of the appeal for them was the cameos and what future characters they want to see, not the actual 'story' in the film.

It's not much different from anime in that regard - whether that's good or bad is up to you. Yes, story is important, but nowadays fans value more the characters with whom they develop relationships. (I think a famous Japanese anime producer said something like that in an ANN interview a few years ago.) Although the combo of good story and relatable characters what would make good to great, they're willing to forgive a generic story as long as they can enjoy their favorite characters again.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Has to be Mario from Donkey Kong. IIRC, that's the Mario in US arcade.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but isn't the point that Ralph joins forces with other arcade villains tired of being the bad guys (I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get)? If that is the case, then you'd have to be right, because if I remember my childhood correctly Mario actually started out as Donkey Kong's villain. I got killed by his barrels at the arcade quite a few times growing up.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
I mean, we have cameo's everywhere and DIsney even went back in time a little in their history to include a "Sonic Says" cameo (which I found hilarious), I found the movie to be really well written and really enjoyable. When I went to see the movie in theatres for the first timespoiler[ I was actually shocked to see that King Candy was Turbo] and things really don't suprise me a lot. I can't wait to see a sequel and I hope it lives up to its name (unlike a certain movie about talking Cars that made a horrible sequel)

Heh, I didn't even THINK of those being based on Sonic Sez :p As for spoiler[the Turbo thing, I was VERY surprised too!! I mean, it was a back story used, but was pushed to the back of everyone's minds with the rest of the story going on. Bravo for a great plot-twist!]

Oh, and as for Cars 2, I must say that I actually enjoyed it better than the first one... The bright colours of Tokyo and Monte Carlo were A LOT more attractive than a desert >_> I have a feeling that it was Pixar's first and last attempt at doing a sequel for a cash-grab (most likely due to committee pressures because of how big of a cash cow the merch of the first one was).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I've really been meaning to catch Wreck-It Ralph. I've seen a lot of positive feedback across the (figurative) board.

Sheleigha wrote:

Oh, and as for Cars 2, I must say that I actually enjoyed it better than the first one... The bright colours of Tokyo and Monte Carlo were A LOT more attractive than a desert >_> I have a feeling that it was Pixar's first and last attempt at doing a sequel for a cash-grab (most likely due to committee pressures because of how big of a cash cow the merch of the first one was).

I liked Cars more, just because I felt it had a more cohesive story line. Both are probably the most "cliche" of the Pixar films, but Cars 2 just didn't have much of an impact on me. It never stood still. I do admit, though, that a huge chunk of it was utter eye candy. To be honest, I think Lasseter had a lot to do with pushing Cars 2 through. While I am not denying that its marketability had a lot to do with its conception, Lasseter loves cars; they seem to make him happy and nostalgic.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I've heard such mixed opinions on Wreck-it-Ralph, so I'm gonna try to see it this week if it's still available. But for kid films this year, I don't think anything will top ParaNorman as far as writing, characters, and moral lesson. Also, it's not CGI, and that means massive brownie points. I can appreciate and respect the art of live doll manipulation more than having a computer do everything for you once the model is completed. Hell, it's even easier now that basically every action is mo-cap, making it more or less the same as rotoscoping. I'm always far more impressed when one lone guy has to move dolls just ever so slightly, 24 times a second, for an entire film. But again, I can make my final assessment of "good" children's motion pictures for this year once I've seen Ralph.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I get where you're coming from. Regular VAs should get their props too, and some now do. Yet celebrities are sometimes necessary to get more people excited about the show.

I guess kids movies have nothing really going for them for adults Laughing

Quote:
And if ya think about it, anime does the same thing, except it's the celebrity seiyuu who get invited. Yes, they're seiyuu and that's good, but they're also celebrities nonetheless. So they're being used the same way.

I'm not sure the average mainstream non-anime watching man is going to watch a show because Kobayashi Yuu is in it. Laughing The only people who know her are anime and video game fans. Japan does the opposite and markets their work towards the fans, not the bored adults who are dragged to the theaters by their kids.

enurtsol wrote:
Nowadays, animation is not selling just the characters but also the whole persona surrounding the characters - and that includes the celebrity VAs and seiyuu. That's why when the shows are released, the VAs always do the usual talk show round, and the seiyuu attend events dressed up to look like their characters as close as possible - all to promote the shows. It's no longer just the character itself anymore.

Not at all. Plenty of anime characters voiced by the same person look and act different. You can't lump anime into this kind of practices.

enurtsol wrote:
Yes, even Studio Ghibli in Japan does the same thing, except they use Japanese live-action celebrities instead of anime celebrities, albeit Miyazaki is more selective on who he picks.

Grave of the Fireflies cast seem to only have a few roles, actually. Nothing big at all.

Quote:
It's not much different from anime in that regard - whether that's good or bad is up to you. Yes, story is important, but nowadays fans value more the characters with whom they develop relationships. (I think a famous Japanese anime producer said something like that in an ANN interview a few years ago.) Although the combo of good story and relatable characters what would make good to great, they're willing to forgive a generic story as long as they can enjoy their favorite characters again.

I think the anime director meant anime and other works with substance to them, not children's movies where the characters are just Jack Black in a panda costume Laughing But actual characters.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
While I hear a lot of ya'll complaining about Wreck it Ralph but imo its by far the best movie of the year.

It's a matter of opinion. I couldn't give a damn about Wreck it Ralph, I don't care for the video game character. But I loved Rise of the Guardians, that's the best movie for the this year, along with Brave.

And so what if they use Hollywood actors for the voices. As long as they can do the job, no big deal (not liek I know many in the first place0. Sure, would be nice is Pixar wanted to use Yuri Low or Freeman (or any other top talent anime VAs), but...whatever, maybe 1 day it'll happen. I know Freeman got a small role in Howl's Moving Castle.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Has to be Mario from Donkey Kong. IIRC, that's the Mario in US arcade.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but isn't the point that Ralph joins forces with other arcade villains tired of being the bad guys (I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get)? If that is the case, then you'd have to be right, because if I remember my childhood correctly Mario actually started out as Donkey Kong's villain. I got killed by his barrels at the arcade quite a few times growing up.

Yep! That was Mario before he became Super Mario! But Mario was the hero; Donkey Kong's the villain. Ah, arcades and Game & Watch. Laughing

(Trivia: who's the girl Mario is trying to save from Donkey Kong?)

But no, it's only Ralph who is tired of being a bad guy.

Sheleigha wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:
When I went to see the movie in theatres for the first timespoiler[ I was actually shocked to see that King Candy was Turbo] and things really don't suprise me a lot.

Heh, I didn't even THINK of those being based on Sonic Sez :p As for spoiler[the Turbo thing, I was VERY surprised too!! I mean, it was a back story used, but was pushed to the back of everyone's minds with the rest of the story going on. Bravo for a great plot-twist!]

Heck, at first we thought they were using "going Turbo" as a reference to Street Fighter II Turbo. Laughing

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I've heard such mixed opinions on Wreck-it-Ralph, so I'm gonna try to see it this week if it's still available. But for kid films this year, I don't think anything will top ParaNorman as far as writing, characters, and moral lesson.

That gave us similar (good) feeling as Coraline. Smile

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Also, it's not CGI, and that means massive brownie points. I can appreciate and respect the art of live doll manipulation more than having a computer do everything for you once the model is completed. Hell, it's even easier now that basically every action is mo-cap, making it more or less the same as rotoscoping. I'm always far more impressed when one lone guy has to move dolls just ever so slightly, 24 times a second, for an entire film.

Even the South Park guys swore off it after Team America! Laughing

lostrune wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I guess kids movies have nothing really going for them for adults Laughing

What are you talking about? Wreck-It Ralph is an all-ages film - it is for everyone, but there are elements in it that only those in the gaming-history know-how would appreciate.

I'm guessing you haven't seen it yet, have you? (If not, I suggest you see it first before you criticize, so at least you're familiar.) Twice my friends and I seen it, at different theaters --once in the afternoon, once at night-- at least half the audience were high schoolers or older with no children tagging along. It usually takes older folks to know gaming history. GeekDad from Wired magazine put it more methodically here: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/11/10-things-wreck-it-ralph/

It's like the Pokemon films. Sure, Pokemon films are also for all-ages, but leaning towards Pokemon gamers. People don't have to know too much about the games to appreciate the films. But those who do have the know-how about the Pokemon games would appreciate the films better.

lostrune wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure the average mainstream non-anime watching man is going to watch a show because Kobayashi Yuu is in it. Laughing The only people who know her are anime and video game fans. Japan does the opposite and markets their work towards the fans, not the bored adults who are dragged to the theaters by their kids.

Huh, guess I have to elaborate this one to you too. It's all about knowing who the target audience is.

For instance, Wreck-It Ralph is targeted for the mainstream family audience, with the leaning to those older who appreciate gaming history. Ergo, they have celebrities whom the mainstream would recognize, but they also have celebrities whom those who know gaming would appreciate. For example, I already mentioned the music used in the movie - more specifically, Skrillex contributed an original music; there's the AKB48 song for those who know J-gaming, and the theme song is by Buckner and Garcia, which I'm sure only gamers would be familiar.

Similarly, otaku anime are targeted towards otaku, so they use seiyuu celebrities whom otaku would recognize and appreciate. The anime industry is using their celebrities the same way Hollywood is using theirs to target all of the family - to get their respective target audiences more excited.

lostrune wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Not at all. Plenty of anime characters voiced by the same person look and act different. You can't lump anime into this kind of practices.

Yes, it is. It's not how the characters look - it's how the celebrities are used. The celebrities are being used to expand on the persona surrounding the characters. Do you think any loli-tsundere would garner the same excitement if they aren't using Rie Kugimiya? Rie Kugimiya playing the loli-tsundere would undoubtedly take the character to a higher level of excitement for the fans.

lostrune wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies cast seem to only have a few roles, actually. Nothing big at all.

Picking a single film trying to prove a rule, eh? GotF is not technically Ghibli film anyways, as I already expounded here before.

Furthermore, that's but one example exception to how Studio Ghibli generally operates with its many other films (which of course you did not contradict). Watch the making-of extras on the Ghibli discs.

lostrune wrote:

Quote:

I think the anime director meant anime and other works with substance to them, not children's movies where the characters are just Jack Black in a panda costume Laughing But actual characters.

Why are you citing stuff that don't even pertain to the discussion? Are you running out of ideas again? Confused

The anime producer was talking about how Western animation tends to focus more on the story, while Japanese animation tends to focus more on the characters.

BTW, many anime characters are not actual characters but rather archetypes. That's not substance but rather fill in the template. Laughing

Vata Raven wrote:

And so what if they use Hollywood actors for the voices. As long as they can do the job, no big deal (not liek I know many in the first place0. Sure, would be nice is Pixar wanted to use Yuri Low or Freeman (or any other top talent anime VAs), but...whatever, maybe 1 day it'll happen. I know Freeman got a small role in Howl's Moving Castle.

Chris Sabat (Vegeta, among others) is in Wreck-It Ralph. Wink

It wasn't till the mega-blockbuster that was The Lion King when Disney really started using Hollywood actors in earnest. With that big of a success, it's to be expected.........
ShindoW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
do it and while you're at it, put in Samus and Link.

Yes, this!

Also I really enjoyed this movie. I was surprised that it was much different than advertized but not in a bad way. I did feel a lot of the movie focused on Sara's character (I really hate Sara Silverman but put it aside because she does a good job voicing in this film), but it all tied back to Ralph in the end.

I'd enjoy a sequel. It's one of the better Disney films in awhile (and the short, Paperman, was very good!)

In regards to other films, Tangled mildly interested me, I loved Cars 2 more than Cars, and I haven't seen Brave or Paranorman yet. I would love to see Paranorman at some point. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
It's almost starting to sound like a "Pixar" project. When they wanted to put Barbie in the first Toy Story, but didn't due to rights. Then when the film was a success here comes 'Mattel' begging. But now 'Disney' has massive rights, it probably wouldn't be a problem with the amount of money that could be offered. But do we really need a sequel?

Hell, I haven't seen the first movie and already we're talking about a sequel. Confused
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Chris Sabat (Vegeta, among others) is in Wreck-It Ralph. Wink

Huh? I think you mean Kyle Hebert. Sabat's not even credited for anything in WiR on IMDB.

Also to answer an early question you had.

It's supposed to be this game: Sonic the Fighters

Chrno2 wrote:

Hell, I haven't seen the first movie and already we're talking about a sequel. Confused

Not all that unusual really. The world and concept behind WiR has a lot potential including console and online games being the focus.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

Not all that unusual really. The world and concept behind WiR has a lot potential including console and online games being the focus.

The movie itself was about the evolution of gaming, so it makes sense to further that. I'm just not sure how they would get to the console world. Their world is enclosed in that arcade, but ehhh they'll figure something out, including whatever story they might have for it. I mean, I'm sure lots of people were skeptical about Toy Story 2 when it got announced, but many consider it much better than the first! So... time to wait and see.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the commercials and haven;t seen the actual movie yet, but wasn't Bowser in the movie?

And therefore, Super Mario can be in the sequel?

Also, to join the Actor/Voice Actor debate, even Billy West sort of agrees, and is against the idea of celebrities getting jobs in major pictures over Voice Actor if for no reason other than, "HEY, THERE'S [famous person]". I mean, if they actually auditioned and got the role for being good, that's a totally different thing.

enurtsol wrote:

(Trivia: who's the girl Mario is trying to save from Donkey Kong?)

If you're asking because you don't know, it's Pauline. She was Mario's girlfriend, and was just a regular person. (I.E. Not a Princess of some strange land)

http://www.mariowiki.com/Pauline
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
That's one reason I can't get into US movies x_x The characters just feel like celebrities or bad impersonations of them. Plus the writing tends to just be aimed at little kids and safe and predictable.

I do find it kinda sucky that even the 'biggest' cartoon VAs like Tara Strong or whoever else is one can't land roles in movies. I mean I hate Tara Strong with the force of a 1000 suns for her annoying brony attitude, but still you'd thing someone like her could land a role in a Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar movie or something. >_>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3