• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How old anime showed us "the future" and how wrong

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, i'll explain it: In the 70's, 80's and 90's, talking about 2000 or so was talking about "the future", some productions told us post-apocalyptic stories and described infernal 199x worlds.
Lets remember.
The Fist of The North Star and that unforgettable apocalyptic screen with "199x" on the center, as if some "199x terrible world" was about to come, now it seems even funny Anime hyper.
I have in my hands the first spanish edition of the 1985 film Vampire Hunter D, and the counter-cover (I hope this concept exists in english) says "After the nuclear holocaust of 1999 that destroyed the civilization bla bla...", it wasn't really that funny to read it in 1995 Razz.
Well, ¿how far were the animators of imagining the real-now-present-or-past?
Now that there were no second impact and all of that, I don't believe much on sci fi Anime hyper

Bye bye, take care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah... They were pretty wrong predicting that future, weren't they? No apocalypse, no end of the world...

Anime is fiction, not a bible that prophesizes the future. You shouldn't be believing Sci-Fi at all or maybe you need to clear up your English so I can understand what you're trying to say. O.o
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, damn to hell The Jetsons for not giving me my flying car!! Damn to hell Back to the Future for not giving me a Delorean Time Machine!! Damn to hell Gundam and Patlabor for not giving the military Mobile Suits!! Damn to hell Planet of the Apes for.....okay, bad example. Laughing

God, theirs a reason why it's called Fiction. While some of the ideas are plauseable, they haven't really happened yet. It took what, Honda years to get ASIMO?
Bosque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
I know anime is fiction Anime hyper I just wanted to comment that and maybe read other comments on how old anime really predicted some things of the present world, consider that many sci fi titles try to aware us, it could be also interesting to analize which series aware us of things that could really happen if we don't change how things works Shocked Shocked
And i haven't practiced my English since the last time I posted here, sorry for that Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Look at the old Buck Rogers that were black and white dramas from the 50s and then Lost In Space & Star Trek. Heck, even some of the old Twilight Zone episodes.

Now certain things have come about: cell phones for one and now they are even smaller than what was imagined back in the day. And if I remember correctly the wonderful Lt. Uhura used a form of "earbug" when she was communications officer.

But it is kind of fun to watch old anime, TV series and movies and see what has come true and what hasn't.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
I like to bash my fellow posters as much as the next guy, but this isn't that bad of an idea for a thread, folks.

Many anime have gotten their 'near future' events so wrong that it's tempting to poke fun at them, but I tend to give a bit more leeway to anime titles than I would for live-action films. Anime is in many ways a medium for pure escapism, and as such it doesn't tend to strike me as being nearly as outlandish as a live action title covering the same events would seem. I can still enjoy improbable 'past future' events, bizarre physics, and unlikely interactions so long as the story being told benefits from these oversights more than it's hindered. Sadly, this is often not the case, but since I'm not much of a sci-fi lover to begin with it's not something I run into on a daily basis.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Yeah, damn to hell The Jetsons for not giving me my flying car!! Damn to hell Back to the Future for not giving me a Delorean Time Machine!! Damn to hell Gundam and Patlabor for not giving the military Mobile Suits!! Damn to hell Planet of the Apes for.....okay, bad example. Laughing

God, theirs a reason why it's called Fiction. While some of the ideas are plauseable, they haven't really happened yet. It took what, Honda years to get ASIMO?

In all fairness, the Delorean Time Machine should have been invented in 1985 and even as far as 2015, time travel is nonexistent, save for a single Delorean. But if the movie did make any accurate predictions, we should see flying cars, youth gangs on hover boards, and instant pizza in about nine years.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
And i haven't practiced my English since the last time I posted here, sorry for that Embarassed

Don't worry, your English is fine. It just seems that Azathrael didn't catch that you were joking a bit.

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think any future scenarios or technological advances that I've encountered in fiction have proved to be even semi-prophetic. I mean, you'd think at least a couple of minor things would end up happening in reality eventually.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
But if the movie did make any accurate predictions, we should see flying cars, youth gangs on hover boards, and instant pizza in about nine years.

And the proliferation of Ford Probes
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Well, at least my precious Crest and Banner of the Stars is still safe (with no C.E. dates and all) . . . until the Yuanon is proved wrong.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
I just had the same sort of thoughts reading Philip K. Dick short stories. He was convinced that Eisenhower (and then Nixon, and then Reagan) would destroy the world, and that there would be WWIII between the US and the USSR. (Well.... we all were, so I can't really blame him.) But he's got all these post- apocalyptic stories where civilization was destroyed in the big wars of the 1980s or something, and reading it now is kind of a downer, especially in remembering how convinced we all were that the world was effectively going to end within ten years. Or instantly. Fallout drills, hiding under desks....

Anyway, yeah. We all missed the alien spaceship crashing on the island in the South Pacific... shouldn't we be in the middle of the UN/Anti-UN war right now? I'll have to check out that timeline again.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I think our technologic advances have gone a little slower than some of those series/movies predicted, but is there a catch to that? We are getting some of the stuff that some of those series might have predicted, so they're not totally wrong. Who would've thought we'd have cell phones or the internet? Smile
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Thats right fighterholic, just cause they haven't happened yet dosen't mean that it's not going to happen. I watch the science channel alot and a few months ago I watched the careful construction and successful lift off of the first private company owned personal spacecraft, it was called the X prize race (who ever won it would get 10 million). I also saw a documentry where they were talking about nanomachines that were the size of cells and were being designed as powerful motors (they've made a trillion of these cell sized motors), they were supposed to be the future of engine technology. They didn't directly say this but with engines that small and that effcient (in masse there supposed to be more powerful than any engines we have now) I think we could design some very sophisticated spacecraft, the possibilities are endless. Wink

EDIT: For those wondering it was a 2006 production, and they said the technology is five years away before any major use but they do have high hopes.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I just had the same sort of thoughts reading Philip K. Dick short stories. He was convinced that Eisenhower (and then Nixon, and then Reagan) would destroy the world, and that there would be WWIII between the US and the USSR. (Well.... we all were, so I can't really blame him.) But he's got all these post- apocalyptic stories where civilization was destroyed in the big wars of the 1980s or something, and reading it now is kind of a downer, especially in remembering how convinced we all were that the world was effectively going to end within ten years. Or instantly. Fallout drills, hiding under desks....

Hasn't the Jehovah Witnesses done the same thing?
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You don't say... That people think only they will survive.

And well, the only thing I'd wish it happen that happened in the future would be food pills (like in the Jetsons). I'm just too lazy to cook!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3