• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Industry Group Head Says Anime is a Bubble that Burst

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
I think it's the way Japan market's there dvds

they put only 2 eps a dvd, most of the time and you pay like $25 for it, with no extra's most of the time.

U.S at least has half season box sets or volumes with 4-9 eps in them with extras. That cost the same amount really.

Fansubs are not to blame, it's there over all put out a ton of anime, but half of it has the same over used plot and design.

Plus anime has gotten less and less people due to a lot of T.V stations cutting programs

CN dropped there anime years ago. Adult Swim is slowing falling to.

Face it, there's a whole much of bad titles and only a few good ones
Prophet Arbitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
This is the reasoning for the decline.

1. Fan subs is the Anime Industries fault. They should have have been wise to release new titles in English and Japanese/Chinese at the same time years ago.

2. Re-hashing old titles. I see it all the time. At this point re-releasing old titles is a waste of time and money. Thats where new Anime fans come in. You bring in new fans the Industry will be able to sell some of those older titles sitting on the shelf.

3. No outlet for people who cannot draw. If your a writer but you cannot draw where is your outlet? Who can I contact for someone in the industry to take a look at my scripts? The American Industry just waits for Japan to release titles.

4. Too many robot anime titles. Speaks for itself....

5. New exciting titles. You dont see this too often and when they do come out, its already been fansub and no real time slot on tv.

The Anime Industry is going to have to come out with Titles that will not only captivate Anime fans but enough to attract new fans around the world, maybe draw some major controversy in some of these new titles to be created.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
This all makes sense to me. I find myself watching less and less new shows every season (sometimes nothing) because the concepts are just the same idea over and over. Every season I notice how so many of the shows are either dating game shows or spirit investigator shows. Not to mention the bland mechas.... (and I'm a Gundam fan). I have some really great shows sitting on my shelf, but at this rate, I'm wondering if in 5 years I'll no longer really care much about anime, beyond the "new classics" I own.
PetrifiedJello

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
All of the blame should be placed on Fansubs and fan translations. As well as the recession. Simply put, if there weren't fansubs, Geneon would still be around and ADV flims would have completed Yotsubasa this year.

Tell me you're kidding us with this ignorant statement.

Did you not read the article? Yes, we can assume streaming sites (legal or not) takes away from DVD sales, but maybe you should pay attention to the merchandising aspect.

Because this decline has a much, much bigger impact to the industry than sales of plastic disks.

Here's proof: Revenue chart

Now compare the sales of DVDs to merchandising. Yes, it's quite clear the loss of DVDs will end the anime industry.
Rolling Eyes

Geneon's failure in the U.S. market seems to stem from trying to buy cheap and sell high (gathered from very scarce information obtained via the web, so it's speculation only people).

While it was a great company, they destroyed themselves with this tactic. The last thing a business should do is piss off its customers and they did exactly this.

So please, quit harping on fansub sites as the sole cause of "failure" in the anime industry when all proof clearly shows otherwise.

Now, on topic.
I've seen reference to this "anime bubble" before in other news and it makes sense. When a system begins to flood a market with goods, consumers can pick and choose from it, often leading many "suffering" if their titles fail.

But this shouldn't surprise anyone. In the heyday, I do believe there were over 450 studios producing anime. Now, there seems to be around half that.

It's business, and competition in the market is fierce. Those "one hit wonders" can no longer support this industry, especially when fans expect more.

There's going to be more closures coming up, so get ready. If the economy doesn't kill them off, competition surely will.

My favorite line in the article:
[Yukio Kawasaki] added that TV Tokyo wants to establish a business model in which the fans worldwide contribute directly.

If this happens, watch DVD sales drop even more so. Oh noes! It's the end of anime as we know it!
Pfft.

Great news. Let's hope it's established very, very quickly.
*gets Paypal account ready
HitokiriShadow

TatsuGero23 wrote:
HitokiriShadow: relating fansubbing to DVD and game rippers is a bit of a stretch and overall bad association. Ya still illegal but fansubbers get their bad reps more from preempting legal releases rather then taking those legal releases and ripping them to the internet so they can get some attention. Fansubbing is generally a labor of love that works on 2 basic premises:

Eh, somewhat, but the mentality between a lot of the people doing the pirating is the same. Besides, people are more than happy to fansub the titles being legally streamed or just outright rip the subs. You might make a case for video quality in some cases, but some are just straight ripping the low quality streams and putting them on torrents. Some people are even straight ripping Funi's subs and openly mocking Funimation, and Lance Heiskell in particular by using "Lance" as one of the names in the group label and saying stuff like "Hey Lance, thanks for the subs". It's sickening.

Anyway, yes, there are some differences, at least if you are just comparing to the more "pure" fansubbing, but my point was the mentality and a response to the idea that better shows would result in more sales and "low quality" shows are resulting in lower sales.

ninjapet wrote:

they put only 2 eps a dvd, most of the time and you pay like $25 for it, with no extra's most of the time.

Sometimes its two, but its often 3 or 4 as well. But the price is usually $50-70. 2 episode discs tend to be only slightly cheaper. There are ~$25 discs for 1-2 episodes, but they are uncommon.

Extras vary though. They generally have some sort of extras, and sometimes they are quite extravagant, particularly for Limited Editions or First Presses.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
I blame stores for not having anime any more there so few store now that have it any more
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Prophet Arbitor wrote:
This is the reasoning for the decline.

1. Fan subs is the Anime Industries fault. They should have have been wise to release new titles in English and Japanese/Chinese at the same time years ago.

2. Re-hashing old titles. I see it all the time. At this point re-releasing old titles is a waste of time and money. Thats where new Anime fans come in. You bring in new fans the Industry will be able to sell some of those older titles sitting on the shelf.

3. No outlet for people who cannot draw. If your a writer but you cannot draw where is your outlet? Who can I contact for someone in the industry to take a look at my scripts? The American Industry just waits for Japan to release titles.

4. Too many robot anime titles. Speaks for itself....

5. New exciting titles. You don't see this too often and when they do come out, its already been fansub and no real time slot on tv.

The Anime Industry is going to have to come out with Titles that will not only captivate Anime fans but enough to attract new fans around the world, maybe draw some major controversy in some of these new titles to be created.

1. So they should have taken all the risk, when there were companies willing to pay a LOT of money for the rights? Localizing a product costs money, and most anime is made on a *very* thin margin to begin with. And I'd bet you dollars to donuts that not ONE of the major success titles in the US sold 25% as well in sub format when there was a dub available. Dubs sell because they can reach a wider audience.

2. I'm not following your argument at all. Newer fans aren't buying much of anything, at all, in this country; they're certainly not going to rush to buy something that the Old Guys liked, not in numbers that matter.

3. Wait, so you think the anime industry is suffering because you can't draw and thus cannot share your masterpiece with the world? (Pro Tip: There is already a place for people who can write but cannot draw. You know, BOOKS -- the kind with no pictures in them?)

4. Robot titles are selling well right now, so that's what they're making. Again, not following your argument here.

5. Another argument I'm not sure I follow. Is the problem that the shows aren't exciting or controversial enough (different things!), or that they aren't getting picked up recklessly by Cartoon Network?
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Thus, the pirates came in droves, racing to the defense of the very element that is most responsible for the deterioration of what they love most. -_-

-The_X_box_360

Three Things:

1. There always was, still is, and always will be people that profit from the distribution of fansubs. These people/groups/organizations are among the most outspoken, when defenders of this sad state of fansubbing recite their timeless litanies of self-justification.
-There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO JUSTIFICATION for illegally profiting from the copyrighted/licensed work of someone else. Even a tiny amount.

2. On any given day, on most any given fansub torrent, 30-80% of the peers on the tracker have Japanese flags (aka Japanese IP addresses).
-With each passing season, more and more anime fans IN JAPAN are turning to fansubs produced in America, less for their ease of availability and more for their ease on the pocket. Japan doesn't just serve as the origin of anime and the base of operations for the industry, but also as it's primary market.... one that it cannot survive without. -_-

3. Die Hard Media Pirates are digital kleptomaniacs who always have and always will get-off on sticking it to whoever, for whatever reason as they crack/hack/re-encode and distribute the digital properties of others. We all know a Die Hard Media Pirate when we see or hear of one, but most of us refuse to acknowledge that these pirates are without morals and bear ill-intentions most of the time. With them having, already, destroyed the traditional music distribution industry and having brought the movie industry to it's knees, only the most idiotic of herd mentalities would allow so many people to assume that these pirates act in good will.
It is that same idiocy that allows online fanbases, that are increasing in size AND obsession, to facilitate the destruction of something that they hold so dear.
-The current state of fansubs equip Die Hard pirates with a means to tap into, taint and profit from yet another fanbase.
With their ever so "valiant" torrent hosting sites, that are so honorable that they're always hosted on servers from obscure nations with underdeveloped digital piracy laws.
There blessedly "charitable" streaming and direct download sites, that don't even bother to host the videos themselves 99% of the time
(instead they post links to file hosting sites like megavideo or megaupload), but fill every available space of each page with ads and regularly solicit "donations" and peddle V.I.P. membership fees.
There genuine heroism is just too irresistible to the easily mislead masses' idiotic tendencies, and too damaging for the anime industry.

-The_X_box_360

Last edited by The_X_box_360 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
2. On any given day, on most any given fansub torrent, 30-80% of the peers on the tracker have Japanese flags (aka Japanese IP addresses).

Are we just making up facts now? ^^;
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
I don't like moe shows, maids, fan service shows and etc.

Neither do I, and while that stuff is overly popular, there's plenty out there that doesn't have anything in it, you just need to look.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:

Are we just making up facts now? ^^;

That just might be possible...... HOWEVER....

Why don't you try giving me a well populated english fansub torrent FROM A PUBLIC TRACKER, and we'll see if I do or don't return you a peer-list with 30% to 80% of those peers sporting Japanese flags. Wink

Furthermore, I'm quite confident that I can provide you with 5 fansub torrents "of the same type" that fall into my discription for every 1 fansub torrent "of the same type" that happens to not be populated with Japanese IPs within my stated parameters.
Hence, my use of the words, "on most any given fansub torrent", in my first post. -_-
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Descent123 wrote:
I don't like moe shows, maids, fan service shows and etc.

Neither do I, and while that stuff is overly popular, there's plenty out there that doesn't have anything in it, you just need to look.

I did, and it's just not that good compare to the stuff I grew up with or like.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This is an industry thread, so we all know where this discussion is going. Hell. Straight to HELL.

Then maybe you should include some context and analysis instead of just waiting for average users to come up with their own assumptions to try and explain everything ANN leaves out. If you print articles with lots of holes then the readers are left with no option but to try and fill them on their own.

Zac wrote:
Because any information that doesn't jive with whatever conclusion you've come to, even without doing any real research on the subject yourself, is "biased", and that means it's bunk, because you say it is.

Well, where's ANN's research and analysis? Oh, here it is...

Zac wrote:
SMUG HARD 2: SMUG HARDER

I love unintentional irony as much as the next guy, but this is just pointless.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

I love unintentional irony as much as the next guy, but this is just pointless.

Wow, you've really stuck it to the man with this post.

And that person was asking for numbers that do not exist, and when they are calculated - especially in the case of the movie industry - the entire internet community calls it bunk. No figure that the movie studios have ever offered up as a concrete "this is how much money we're losing because of piracy" has ever been taken seriously, and I can tell you right now if Funimation came out and said "Fansubs are costing us X amount", the fans would scream bloody murder and would never, ever accept it as even close to the truth. And no organization exists that has the resources or the unlimited access to years' worth of sensitive sales data to independently study the matter.

Further, I guess you're not sick of the constant "heh, i'm so wise and intelligent and above all of this *grabs popcorn, downloads nanoha fansubs*" self-serving smug posts that pop up in every fansub-related thread, but I am, so I poked fun at that guy.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I had always thought that Japan was focusing on quality over quantity. I guess I was wrong. Anybody is hurting right now, but it would be nice if they can shoot for boosting sales, because that's what leads to recovery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8