• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: RIGHT STUF, INC. Establishes 5 POINTS PICTURES, Announces Film Distribution Agreement With CJ EN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Must be a market for English subbed Korean movies, or why would TRS do this?

Just seems questionable, but then again there are a lot of Japanese live-action movies out there on our DVD retail shelves, that are not related to anime.

Good luck to them, hopefully they will have something interesting, and not the standard B movie stuff.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yes, yes there is. Please bring it, 5 Points.

Quote:
Good luck to them, hopefully they will have something interesting, and not the standard B movie stuff.
Exactly. There are so many other types of Asian live action films that it's just so frustrating to see the focus on exploitation schlock over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

It would explain why Crunchyroll has an entire division devoted to Korean dramas.

Personally, I've always been confused why a company dealing in Japanese animation jumps to Korean drama (as opposed to Japanese drama?) - But I guess if there's a want.

Nothing wrong with it, just curious is'all.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
It would explain why Crunchyroll has an entire division devoted to Korean dramas.

Personally, I've always been confused why a company dealing in Japanese animation jumps to Korean drama (as opposed to Japanese drama?) - But I guess if there's a want.

Nothing wrong with it, just curious is'all.
If I may hazard an educated guess, I think J-dramas still cost prohibitively more than K-dramas to license. Korean licensors don't seem to have that inflated sense of self-worth re: the international market, imho (and general impression). Otherwise I'd totally welcome the J-drama onslaught as well, since I'm an equal opportunity consumer. I'm just guessing it's not gonna happen though, at least not any time soon...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1