• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
mecha origins

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know what the first Mecha anime/magna? there are so many but it all has to start some where right?
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:08 am Reply with quote
Astro boy could technically be considered the first mecha anime as he was a robot.

Gundam while certainly not being credited with the creation of the mecha genre, did breathe new life into it and is now synonomous with the word Mecha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YUGI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
I think gigantor is one of the first mecha anime's.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
Since most people think of giant robots wen they think of the mecha genre, Astro Boy really wouldn't count. According to the information in ANN's Encyclopedia, Tetsujin 28, brought to the U.S. as Gigantor, is indeed the first of its genre.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mecha is basically manned robots (robots piloted by humans,I.E. Gundam,Dangaio,Votoms,Macross.) And possibly the very first of it's genre would go to Mazinger or Getter Robo. back in the early seventies IIRC.

Go Nagai who created the two series, is often reffered as the Father of Mecha.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Mecha is basically manned robots (robots piloted by humans,I.E. Gundam,Dangaio,Votoms,Macross.) And possibly the very first of it's genre would go to Mazinger or Getter Robo. back in the early seventies IIRC.

Mecha is just short for mechanical so it can be used to describe any type of robot: manned, unmanned, or even sentient. This makes Tetsujin 28 the first mecha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah however Mazinger Z is credited as being anime's first giant super robot
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Tetsujin 28 or Gigantor was before that, and had a super robot. It was un-manned however...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

By who?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

By who?

Emerje

Lots of fans make the distinction between a robot and a *piloted* robot. Tetsujin 28 is regarded as the first giant robot, but Mazinger Z usually gets a nod as well for being the first show to put a pilot inside the robot.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Cyborg 009 put pilots in robots before Mazinger Z. They weren't the main focus of the show though.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:

Mecha is just short for mechanical so it can be used to describe any type of robot: manned, unmanned, or even sentient. This makes Tetsujin 28 the first mecha.

It all depends on the mainstream definition of the word/genre. (Mecha) When you ask someone to name a Mecha-oriented series/OVA, the first thing that may come to mind is something like. Gundam,Rayzephon,Evangelion as oppossed to Tetsujin 28 (Gigantor),Giant Robo, and the Transformers,(whom are sentient robots "in disguise" Wink ) etc.

Some people have gone far as to label The Guyver as a Mecha based Anime.when that is so not the case. Hmm, maybe ANN should include the "M" word in their lexicon in order to provide the most accurate definition. Idea
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Lots of fans make the distinction between a robot and a *piloted* robot. Tetsujin 28 is regarded as the first giant robot, but Mazinger Z usually gets a nod as well for being the first show to put a pilot inside the robot.

I accept that, don't get me wrong, but for what the original post in this topic was asking the answer is Tetsujin 28 in my oppinion.

Emerje
mpchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime show:

Tetsujin 28 (Oct,1963) - First super robot show on Japanese TV
Astrogungar (Oct,1972) - Second super robot show on TV, sports a similar remote control device like Tetsujin 28. Astrogungar looks pretty ugly. Razz
Mazinger Z (Dec,1972) - Third super robot show on TV, but the first robot to have a pilot inside.
Babel The 2nd (Jan, 1973)
Getter Robo (Apr,1974)
Great Mazinger (Sept,1974)
Raideen (Mar,1975)
Getter Robo G (May,1975)
Tekkaman (June,1975)
Grendizer (Sept,1975)
Koutetsu Jeeg (Sept,1975)
..........etc.

So there you have it. However people would love to re-define the meaning of "mecha" to their likings, here is the timeline of how the earliest anime robot shows were aired back in the days in Japan. Very Happy
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mazinger Z (Dec,1972) - Third super robot show on TV, but the first robot to have a pilot inside.

Incorrect.

Cyborg 009 (May, 1968) - Had pilots inside robots before Mazinger Z. They weren't the focus of the show, but Shotaro Ishinomori used this concept before Go Nagi did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2