• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Rental Chain: 55.9% of Customers Have BD Players

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
wow, 55.9% is pretty high, its nowhere near that over here, people just don't seem to be buying into the whole BD thing since they don't see the upgrades from DVD like DVD was from VHS, its more like a tech gimmick than a proper tech upgrade, sure the quality is slightly better if you have a massive TV to watch it on but at the end of the day its still pretty much the same thing as before

on top of that, i like alot of people don't particulary want to start replacing my DVDs, especially since i don't have anything to play them with nor is my TV of sufficent size to see the benefits
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'd imagine a large percentage of that are PS3s.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
wow, 55.9% is pretty high, its nowhere near that over here, people just don't seem to be buying into the whole BD thing since they don't see the upgrades from DVD like DVD was from VHS, its more like a tech gimmick than a proper tech upgrade, sure the quality is slightly better if you have a massive TV to watch it on but at the end of the day its still pretty much the same thing as before

on top of that, i like alot of people don't particulary want to start replacing my DVDs, especially since i don't have anything to play them with nor is my TV of sufficent size to see the benefits

Why would you replace your DVD's? Blu-ray players can play DVD.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes, but a larger percentage of them are blu-ray/hard-disc recorders for recording digital television.

Those are the most popular blu-ray equipped things out there in Japan that don't really exist in the US because there's no copy-protection scheme in place like there is in Japan (you can record things to BD-R but then you can't copy it unless the program is marked "Copy-10" or unrestricted).
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:

Oh no, not this again. I can a see a large difference on my laptop (1920x1200) I mean I don't understand how people can say that... How are your eyes? Do you wear glasses? I think most who say that haven't done a side by side or A-B comparison. Also, all BD players can play DVDs so you wouldn't have to worry about your existing DVD collection

I think the US is catching up though. I mentioned in the other thread about how cheap everything is now (for both producers and consumers). With the switch to digital broadcast a few years ago, driving the ubiquity of HDTVs, as well as DVRs, and with prices of BDs and players now what DVDs were, people have no incentive for DVDs anymore. The BD section at my local Frys seems to be displacing the DVD section.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Just to note, the typical Japanese household doesn't buy as many home videos as the typical American household. The Japanese home video market is a lot smaller relative to America's (for comparison, IIRC despite being just 1/8th of DVD sales, U.S. Bluray sales are about the size of the whole home video market of Japan). People in America just buy a lot more discs, both DVDs and BDs, though a lot more DVDs than BDs.

samuelp wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes, but a larger percentage of them are blu-ray/hard-disc recorders for recording digital television.

Those are the most popular blu-ray equipped things out there in Japan that don't really exist in the US because there's no copy-protection scheme in place like there is in Japan (you can record things to BD-R but then you can't copy it unless the program is marked "Copy-10" or unrestricted).

Thank goodness for copy-protection! If only America has that too! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
I think they meant 22% have BD players and the rest have a playstation 3.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Just to note, the typical Japanese household doesn't buy as many home videos as the typical American household.

I think that if the average american DVD/BD release had the same price tag they had in japan, the average american household would have as many discs as their japanese counterparts. I mean, I can grab a LotR movie at amazon for less than ten bucks but in japan you pay 80 dollars PER ANIME CHAPTER!?

I venture to say in one year said Rental Chain will report numbers around 80% (as in, you must be Morisato Keiichi poor to still own a DVD player).
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just want to put out there how freaking amazing their rental shops are! They have every anime volume possible. It is truly a sight to see!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1