• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
question [Manga vs Anime]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
You may think bad thoughts of me for asking this even tat I now nothing about manga which is probably right as I hav never read one. but i 've seen a good amount of anime. But how can a manga ever come close to an anime. With the fluid animation sometimes great storytelling and voice actors how can it be. Characters can become more alive on screen then in a book right? Besides the voices are what make the charcter alive that is why so much of us complain about bad voice acting sayng it meses up the character. So could someone please give me a sensible response instead of bashing me (for you fan boys)

[edit: topic title changed to match post content -b]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:57 pm Reply with quote
A human's imagination can do more than any movie ever could. Saying that a manga could never come close to an anime is like saying that all books suck because there's no pictures and no sound, and definitely no moving.

Manga allows readers to get the story, backed up by pictures that let you see the action as it's happening and also what the characters and backgrounds look like. Oftentimes, they're more detailed than even anime.

Just because anime is moving medium doesn't mean that it's better than manga. Both have their own merits. I suggest you read some manga and then ask the question later if you still have any questions, okay? Anime smile
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
They're two different mediums. Would you say that Tolkein's books aren't as exciting as Jackson's version of Lord of the Rings because it isn't a movie?

When a comic book gets turned into an animated TV series, you get several artists drawing it instead of one. This means that the individual style of the original artist gets smoothed out and looks a lot more generic in anime. For example, take Osamu Tezuka. I didn't have the Astro Boy cartoon growing up, so I'm mainly familiar with the character through the comic. Now the cartoon is great in terms of story, but still I haven't been that impressed with it, since it lacks the individual touches that made the original such a fun read.

Last edited by jfrog on Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I understand what you guys are saying. I guess that my reason for asking this is because I am unable to get my hands on any manga.
Kanae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh... that's odd. Almost all major bookstores carry it, at least the translations (all I've ever been able to find).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
balla wrote:
I understand what you guys are saying. I guess that my reason for asking this is because I am unable to get my hands on any manga.

Bookstores, online booksellers, library...you should be able to get access to one of these. Heck, doesn't WalMart or Target or someone even sell manga? I've never looked ^_^;.
Kanae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about libraries carrying manga, but online bookstores have a ton, and even game and music stores are starting to carry them. Not to mention that if you check ANY major chain (Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, Borders, B. Dalton's, Brentano's, and so on and so forth) they usually have shelves & shelves of tankouban. The only real drawback is that they're expensive little SOBs... I usually stand in the bookstore and read them, to avoid shelling out ten bucks a pop.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
...except manga really isn't that expensive. Try checking out the prices of American comics sometime and see how lucky you are.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Kanae wrote:
I don't know about libraries carrying manga,

They do. Ours has probably has about 100+ in the collection.
Kanae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quote
Really... wow. Lucky you. My library doesn't even have *one*. I feel so cheated. How come I can't have a cool library like yours?

And jfrog, comparitively speaking, American comics may be more. But ten dollars a shot for tankouban still adds up really fast, and some people don't have the kind of money to spare for that. Like, for example, college students trying to save the money for a car.
borourke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
i think anime is the same as manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kanae wrote:
Really... wow. Lucky you. My library doesn't even have *one*. I feel so cheated. How come I can't have a cool library like yours?

Chances are...because they have never had anyone express an interest in adding a graphic novel collection to the library. Go ahead...submit purchase requests...show interest. I'm sure the librarians will take notice, submit a request to the director/board and maybe things will get added!

borourke wrote:
i think anime is the same as manga

Anime the same as manga as in the amount of impact and enjoyment you get out of each medium? Because literally speaking...anime=animated, manga=comic...so, no, they're not the same.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This is how what our lazy generation has come to. TV and Videogame are consider entertainment media that's part of our daily life. Kids rush home to watch TV for 7+ hour after school. Reading is self developement, and people should just pick up and read magazine, books, newspaper intead of spending so much time watching TV and Movies.

I wish more people would read books. My little sister would watch TV all day and when I ask her to read a book or somehing, she would say it's boring. This is very sad.

As for Manga vs Anime, I really like the manga instead of the anime because the manga is usually the "original" work of the creator. Just read berserk or GTO and you'll realized a lot of the plot get change or end up not making it to the anime. Also I like to think of the manga as a collection of the artest's work and style. Manga is more portabable since you can carry it to your work/school/tea shop. And if you ever read a managa, I think you get more involve because you're more focus on what the chracter said and do rather than it let play out on your TV.
Well they're different form of media, I really can't say which one is better. It's just up to the individual to decide. When you look at the japanese culture, more people there read and buy manga than anime.

If you're looking for Manga, try bidding on used one on ebay. I usually get them for 2-3 dollar for near mint condition.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
transensdental

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
well for me manga insprires more creative thought,
like black an white comic of naruto ...i dunno but when i seen the characters in colour it dissapointed me ...cause what i invisioned was far from what they were...
Kanae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand the people who can watch hours of TV a day... basically, there's a couple shows I like, which I occasionally catch, and other than that I read a lot. I agree with you, darkhunter, that reading has a lot of benefits for people that kids don't aknowledge. It sounds like you're comparing things a little unequally though: you start out talking about manga vs. anime, then it sounds like you're switching to movies/tv/etc in general vs. the written word. So far as the latter category goes, I agree with you.

However, I wouldn't say categorically that manga is superior to anime. For some people, graphic novels of any sort can be difficult to follow: depending on psychological makeup, some people have difficulty connecting series of pictures into a whole. Movies, for people like that, can sometimes be more accessible than manga. This doesn't mean they're stupid or lazy, or anything else particularly negative; it simply indicates that they're mentally geared differently. Some people see patterns very well, while others see them poorly. Some people can connect a series of semi-related pictures and come up with a flow of action; some can't. For those who can't, anime represents a way to still enjoy the Japanese artistic style, even if it isn't "a collection of the artest's [sic] work and style."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2