• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saikano

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:23 pm Reply with quote
what's your thoughts on this one? i thought it was good for the most part but the ending was ridiculous. how come this hasn't been licensed yet?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
what's your thoughts on this one? i thought it was good for the most part but the ending was ridiculous. how come this hasn't been licensed yet?

You were expecting a happy ending? The ending was actually happier than I expected...

As for why no one has picked it up, the American companies are probably debating whether or not they can sell something that depressing. I mean the two rules of watching <em>Saishu Heiki Kanojo</em> are keep Kleenex handy and keep sharp objects out of reach.

I hope that if it is licensed, fans don't pitch a fit if the "official" English translation of the title isn't used. "She, the Ultimate Weapon" isn't a very good translation, as "kanojo" has a deeper meaning than just "she". ("Girlfriend" is implied, correct?)

------RM
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The character designs and the rampant ecchiness made my entire anime club hate this one.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:27 pm Reply with quote
someone has it they just haven't announced it yet. atleast thats what every damn companys at Anime Expo told me "well someone has it we just cant say who"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:19 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
The character designs and the rampant ecchiness made my entire anime club hate this one.

o_O The rampant ecchiness? Dude, I didn't find any "ecchiness" at all, in the way that I would define it, since the sex that was there was really sweet and plot-fitting. And I love the character designs, but eh, that's just me. I honestly love this series. It is by far one of my all time favorite shows now.
kodocha3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved this anime and can't wait until it's license is announced. It's a dysfunctional love story without the tired storyline. Add a little military for flavor. If you want a happy storyline just imagine it ends a couple episodes earlier. As for me, I enjoy a sad story from time to time.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:47 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
v1cious wrote:

You were expecting a happy ending? The ending was actually happier than I expected...

------RM

i wasn't expecting a happy ending, i was expecting a coherent ending. it just felt kinda silly.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I really have to agree with Sakechan here: what rampant ecchiness are you talking about?!!?!? The few parts with nudity were very tasteful and not ecchi in the least.

Also, I don't see what was incoherent about the ending. The whole show is about a doomed love story in a world that keeps going from bad to worse. And in the end spoiler[the world gets DESTROYED]. What could be worse or more depressing than that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I really have to agree with Sakechan here: what rampant ecchiness are you talking about?!!?!? The few parts with nudity were very tasteful and not ecchi in the least.

Also, I don't see what was incoherent about the ending. The whole show is about a doomed love story in a world that keeps going from bad to worse. And in the end spoiler[the world gets DESTROYED]. What could be worse or more depressing than that?

spoiler[yeah but why did it happen? and what was the whole war about anyway? you're never actually told who they're fighting. it just seemed rushed.]
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It was the relationships combined with the character designs. The male lead looks 40, the female lead looks 11. I know no one who could tell that they were the same age. We all thought he his her teacher for most of the first episode. Then you combine it with their other relationships they have, with the solider and his wife, and it just looks really bad.
Of course, I thought Tuxedo mask was a pervert too.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna know who bombed em becouse in the second volume of the manga they show spoiler[chise landing and some soldiers are speaking perfect english (American mayvbe?) then the next few pages is all black then a shot of a explosion ie she wasted em]

edit for clarity.

Last edited by cyrax777 on Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:53 pm Reply with quote
You don't need to know why there's a war or who they're fighting. That's not the point of the story. It really doesn't matter *why* there's a war, the only thing that matters is that there *is* a war and it's causing a lot of pain. In fact, explaining the causes of the war would take away from the story. It would likely seem phoney, and not knowing the cause removes the political factor and lets the story focus on the tragedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:14 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
It was the relationships combined with the character designs. The male lead looks 40, the female lead looks 11. I know no one who could tell that they were the same age. We all thought he his her teacher for most of the first episode. Then you combine it with their other relationships they have, with the solider and his wife, and it just looks really bad.
Of course, I thought Tuxedo mask was a pervert too.

Tuxedo Mask *is* a huge pervert. He's in college, and Usagi's 15.
The age gap wouldn't matter at all if they fast-forwarded to when she was 18 or something, but just the thought of a college dude and a 15 year old kind of creeps me out.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
She is 14 at first. Which makes it worse.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:29 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
She is 14 at first. Which makes it worse.

But Shu-chan is the same grade as Chise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2