• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultrabot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
ManetherenWolf wrote:
They went with a slight southern accent for Osaka in the anime (nowhere near as strong as in Abenobashi), instead of the Brooklyn they used in the manga.

anywhere near how overdrawn out Kitsune's accent is on the Love Hina dub?
setzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the replies & help! I think I'm going to check it out and see how I like it.

-Setzer
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
ultrabot wrote:
ManetherenWolf wrote:
They went with a slight southern accent for Osaka in the anime (nowhere near as strong as in Abenobashi), instead of the Brooklyn they used in the manga.

anywhere near how overdrawn out Kitsune's accent is on the Love Hina dub?

No, it's just very slight, actually. I was rather surprised. I think they are going for the concept of "it's there, but it's not." It's there just enough that it's just noticeable, but watching it casually, it blends in and sounds somewhat normal. I think this may be the first time I've heard a southern accent used for Osakan dialect that didn't sound quite so forced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess it is a love/hate relationship. I personally do honestly feel it's a masterpiece. If you did find the manga funny, then this is definently worth your money. Probably more than your money. I love the series. Of course, it's gotta be your cup of tea. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr_Hentai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
If you get the chance to get it, don't miss it. The anime is freaking hilarious. I thought is was stupid till I saw it in my anime club.
Osaka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:50 am Reply with quote
He he Very Happy , Azumanga has that effect to just surprise you out of nowhere Shocked and leave you laughing and rewinding to watch that scene again and again. Or to read it again and again. Wink
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
God yes. I love this show. I'm still kind of concerned as to how it will turn out after ADV sinks their fangs into it and shakes it, but seeing how well the Abenobashi dubs have turned out give me some hope. I don't plan on watching much of it dubbed in any case, though. I think that there is a good bit of humor and situations that just won't translate well into a dub.

But as far as the story goes, it's just the story of a group of girls and their passage through high school. Nothing else. No great object or goal. One of the true 'slice of life' shows...

The only complaint I really had was that the characters did't change at all over 3 years. Chiyo should really have grown a good bit, given her age...

Get it. You won't be disappointed. And if you are, you can always sell it on eBay....
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
Osaka wrote:
He he Very Happy , Azumanga has that effect to just surprise you out of nowhere Shocked and leave you laughing and rewinding to watch that scene again and again. Or to read it again and again. Wink
You know, that sounds really cheesy but it is true. There are times when I have read a line in the manga over and over again with the same results. Much laughter. Like the time that the gym teacher (can't think of her name right now) got drunk at Chiyo's summer home. I must have re-read that part four or five times and it was still funny.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
The only complaint I really had was that the characters did't change at all over 3 years. Chiyo should really have grown a good bit, given her age...

I think she got a little taller. Her pigtails also got longer & lower as she got older.

BuffaloStyle wrote:
Like the time that the gym teacher (can't think of her name right now)

Minamo "Nyamo" Kurosawa.

Nagisa loves Nyamo... Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
gnollman wrote:

I think she got a little taller. Her pigtails also got longer & lower as she got older.

I thought that was just a hairstyle change. I don't think i was anything else.... but then, it's been a while since I saw this show. I'll have to look through my manga....
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:14 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
gnollman wrote:

Yes. Chiyo did get taller compared to the other girls.Tomo's hair also got longer. Of course, she decided to cut it going into their senior year.
Osaka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:

God yes. I love this show. I'm still kind of concerned as to how it will turn out after ADV sinks their fangs into it and shakes it

Well as the other posts have mentioned she does change her hairstyle from the kawaii high pigtails to lower more... sophisticated ones? Laughing I dunno about her getting taller though. But yeah I thought the same thing about Chiyo, I was expecting her to look like a teenager but apart from her hair she looked the same.

Quote:

You know, that sounds really cheesy but it is true. There are times when I have read a line in the manga over and over again with the same results.

Ha ha! Knew someone out there has done that! Very Happy
I know I have ... Wink
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BuffaloStyleLike the time that the gym teacher (can't think of her name right now) got drunk at Chiyo's summer home. I must have re-read that part four or five times and it was still funny.[/quote]

What I remember about that is Tomo greeting Nyamo the day after her impromptu sex ed course. "Greetings, oh wise one!" Very Happy

God, I love that manga.

------RM
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 am Reply with quote
Hey, a year and a half ago some folks on this board were accuzing Azumanga Daioh of being targeted at creepy perverts and being unappealing to females. Now that most of us have seen and read Azumanga Daioh it may be time to review and reevaluate. (The Azumanga bashing starts on page two of the linked thread.)

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1883&highlight=cuteness+phobia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'll stand by what I said back then. Azumanga is fun show that is a takeoff of "Those people" you used to know in school.

If there are people who find it "perverted", that says more about themselves than it does the show.

They'd probably go looking for the sexual tension in Rainbow Brite or R.E.C.E.S.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11