• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Androgyny

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoolinaCUP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
I always think androgynous characters are cool. I mean REALLY androgynous characters, whose gender you either aren't really sure for a while, or who you're never supposed to know.

So anyway, who is your favorite androgynous character and why?

[Edit: FYI, it's customary to answer your own question and get the ball rolling when opening a thread like this. - Keonyn]

[Another edit: Thread title corrected. "Androgeny" is not the same as "androgyny". The latter is the correct spelling for what you are describing here. You might want to look up the meaning of the former. - abunai]
Sabut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
I was really annoyed with the androgynous character Kurapica from Hunter x Hunter. I thought all the time it was a female character, it was clear for me:

- Names ending with -a are females in my language.

- Since I saw it in the opening video it had female face. When it is angry maybe have a more male face.

- It has female voice (at least in the japanese voice).

- It is the only character who always wear a shirt, even for swimming I think, or maybe never swims.

- It does some girly things like spoiler[getting annoyed by seeing a nude character]

And then one day I saw in the sub that they refer to this character like "he" and that everybody in forums and everywhere said it was a male, really strange. I thought that it may be a typical character in many stories where a female character dresses like a man to achieve her dreams or her vengeance, it is a resource very used in a lot of pirate stories, I don't know if in other animes. But spoiler[as the series continue this is left ambiguous and the "mistery" is left as it is, nobody suspects he is a girl or nothing].

So I suppose he is supposed to look like a girl but is simply a character design decision and in the end it has nothing to do with the history. I was a bit disappointed and annoyed, it could have been a funny thing to develop a bit more.

In conclusion I don't like androgynous characters if it has nothing to do in the end with the story but only with the character design I think...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
There was a character in Gad Guard I was sure was female for ages - heck he even had a shower scene and I didn't realise. I made the same mistake initially with Dio in Last Exile.
I still think Dita in Chobits is female, but others disagree (yaoi fans in particular I guess).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Anyone drawn by Behind Moon.

What? What'd I say?
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Kino from Kino no Tabi is hard to identify as female for the first ep or two.

The main character from Otoboku seems closer to female than male, regardless of state of dress.

The male characters in Simoun still tend to be quite feminine.

That's all off the top of my head,
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this issue drives me crazy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone I would swear is a woman, only to find out is a dude later on. I don't know if it is because the animators are just interested in drawing effeminate men, or if their perception of what differentiates gender is different from mine. But geez, it is always throwing me for a loop. There are a number of Naurto antagonists which took me ages to realize I had incorrectly guessed the gender to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Androgenous characters are one of the things I enjoy the most in anime. My favourite is probably Haruka from Sailor Moon. The first she appears she is mistaken for a boy and it is easy to see why. Her attitude is beyond tomboyish and completely different from the other senshi (I have yet to see the later seasons of the franchise, though. So I am not taking the real gender changing cases into consideration).

Also, Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse . In the series Utena never comes across as all that boyish despite her crossdressing habits but in the movie she starts out looking very much like a boy. Being the anime that it is, gender issues are exceedingly relevant and subverted in every single way possible...and then some.

Ayase from Okane ga Nai looks more like a girl than many girls, despite being a boy. I call him "the ultimate uke" because not only is he stuck in an anime that gingerly plays every single yaoi stereotype possible (and I suspect there is some self aware parody going on as well) as he is even mistaken for a girl. Even in terms of his character design he stands out as clearly girlish, very petite, huge blue eyes, and almost absurdly delicate. Ironically enough he gets rather angry when people take him for a girl.

And lets not forget my avatar, Tieria Erde from Gundam 00 (chibi-fied and with cat ears on my avatar Wink ) who had fans thinking that he was a girl in early episodes. The pink cardigan probably had something to do with it. And apparently he is pretty gender confused.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Nom_Anor wrote:
The male characters in Simoun still tend to be quite feminine.

*facepalm*

Okay... you do realize that this is intentional, don't you? In the universe of Simoun, all individuals are born as gender-neutral but outwardly female-looking beings. At some point in their youth, they must travel to the holy spring and immerse themselves. When they emerge, they assume a gender, male or female. Over time, their bodies change to the new gender, but this is not an instantaneous change, and many mannerisms are retained from their quasi-female youth.

Much care was taken during the casting of Simoun to give it an all-female cast, with the "darkest", most male-sounding voices cast as males. But that they are all formerly "females" applies not only to voices, but to overall behaviour and looks.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LdyGodiva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Favorite Androgynous Character

InuYasha - Jakotsu from the Band of Seven.

At first I assumed he was a woman (because of his appearance) & also his 'crush' on InuYasha. It wasn't until someone called him "he" that I said Whhaaatt?? & after going online, I found out yep, he's a guy.
CoolinaCUP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow, I spelled it wrong? Sorry guys.

Anyway, my favorite is definitely Kino. I didn't find out until...I forget what was going on, but Hermes used "-san" sarcastically, and the subtitles translated it as "miss." I was in total disbelief.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that show, I don't think you're supposed to know. In the movie, and in the book, Kino's a girl, but in just the anime, I think she's supposed to be sort of...universal? I mean, you can't pin down her gender, you can't pin down her age, she's the same European-looking race as everyone else, so...I don't know. That's how I read it.

Dita's supposed to be a boy?

Haruka is another favorite.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
what do you think of these ladies?
musk.stick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
My vote for favourite female androgynous character goes Haruka from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon. As for why, well, I personally love her character and think she pulls off the look beautifully.

My favourite androgynous male, even though he's not really the epitome of androgyny, would be Ayame from Fruits Basket as he's just too amusing not to like.

BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

It's a trap!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
CoolinaCUP wrote:
Anyway, my favorite is definitely Kino. I didn't find out until...I forget what was going on, but Hermes used "-san" sarcastically, and the subtitles translated it as "miss." I was in total disbelief.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that show, I don't think you're supposed to know. In the movie, and in the book, Kino's a girl, but in just the anime, I think she's supposed to be sort of...universal? I mean, you can't pin down her gender, you can't pin down her age, she's the same European-looking race as everyone else, so...I don't know. That's how I read it.

It's not often a notable issue, but yeah, the anime does eventually explicitly confirm Kino is female in episode 4, and it's relevant in the episode about the two countries that were always at war (I think it was called something like "A Mother's Love")

BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

First row, first from left: spoiler[Goth Loli Kiss]
second from left: Mako-chan! The inverse of which would be Minami Touma.
fourth from left: Bridget from Guilty Gear?
Second row, first from left: Lame. There are much better images of Hayate being forcibly cross-dressed.
third from left: I enjoyed when Shion caught Mizuho with a "Your fly is undone," comment.
sixth from left: Haruhi's dad, I think.
Third row, third from left: Ah, the archer twins.
fifth from left: Is that Haku from Naruto?
Fourth row, sixth from left: spoiler[Hearing a male voice coming from that body was really disconcerting]

No Kazuki from Get Backers?

How about a collection of images with females who look like males? Of course, I can only think of two off the top of my head, both of whom (unintentionally) fooled characters in series: spoiler[the pink-haired bishie] from Moon Phase, and spoiler[the tennis player that one of Sana's gal friends developped a crush on] in Kodocha.
Oh yeah, I mentioned Touma, and then forgot already.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to say Lizard Misty from Saint Seyia is my favorite for androgynous male. While in the manga he looks more feminine it's not as present in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Anyone drawn by Behind Moon.

What? What'd I say?

Glad I'm not the only one here who's familiar with the "f" word.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3