• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now and Then on Scifi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I was just checking the Scifi scheduleand noticed they had Now and Then listed on July 28th at 12am. They still don't have Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann listed yet.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Reeeeeally? Hooray! One more series I've been meaning to see! Too bad I have to wait until July...*grumble, grumble*
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow Now and Then.....

It is one of my favorites, but its a very tough watch. I just made it through once on netflix, then bought the discs, but I have not rewatched.

It is so good, but, damn, It is tough to take.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if it's actually Now and Then since it doesn't display the full title. Yeah, I know it's on Sci-fi and during Ani-Monday but it would be a cruel joke if it was this movie instead.

I just hope Central Park Media re-releases the show on DVD so I can buy it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I can't help but wonder if it's actually Now and Then since it doesn't display the full title. Yeah, I know it's on Sci-fi and during Ani-Monday but it would be a cruel joke if it was this movie instead.

I just hope Central Park Media re-releases the show on DVD so I can buy it.

Definitely. I just managed to recently aquire the series, but the first volume is getting scarcer and scarcer it seems. It's odd, considering volumes 2 and 3 are still in stock at a lot of places.

And looking at the scedule, it's listed as only lasting a half hour, so it should be the show and not the movie.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
It is so good, but, damn, It is tough to take.

This is why I have never bought it. I'm really glad it's going to be on TV though. I have been wanting to see this series for a long time and now it looks like I'm going to get the chance.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to watch it. It's been on my list for years now, but I never really got around to doing it.

Oh well, no time like the present!
Zewerr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Definately a good series to see. It doesn't have any questionable material for Sci-fi to edit out. Let's hope they don't have to cut anything for time restrictions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
I've heard about this series but I never bought it. I can't wait to check it out and see what it's like.

I am so grateful to Sci-Fi starting the Ani-Monday block. It's been such a plesant switch from [adult swim] which seems to see the whole point of showing anime to be so that they can fill space when people are sleeping. Sad Also, if Now and Then and Gurren Lagann are the first shows they've picked for their block outside of the Manga Entertainment programs, I think it shows that they intend to do both new and old shows, which could give older and possibly lower selling titles a much needed sales boost. It also, hopefully, shows that there won't be any restrictions in terms of company from now on. (Come on, someone get the rights to Geneon's stash and put some of those shows on Sci-Fi!)

I hope that we'll see some lighter shows appear as time goes on too, not just action and drama. (I'd love to see some slice of life type series pop up and yes I know that's not Sci-fi but what the heck right?)
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
I dunno, this is one of those dubs that I can't really stomach. It's really hard to believe the characters are children when they all sound like older teenagers. And it does affect the show's impact, too.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
Definitely a good series to see. It doesn't have any questionable material for Sci-fi to edit out. Let's hope they don't have to cut anything for time restrictions.

Visually speaking there's alot worse, but some of the scenes like spoiler[the torture of Shu and later on Sis, as well as the final attempted rape of Sara before her escape ] are fairly brutal to watch. Also the fact that most of the characters are children makes the entire show much more difficult to watch. So due to psychological impact, I'd still place it somewhere between 16+ and 18+.

At any rate, if it is in fact NTHT, that's pretty spectacular news, and a salute to Sci-fi for airing it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
I dunno, this is one of those dubs that I can't really stomach. It's really hard to believe the characters are children when they all sound like older teenagers. And it does affect the show's impact, too.

So are there any dubs you like? This was, IMO, an especially good one, both in English and Japanese. (Especially the English Hamdo.) The voices were a bit different because of different casting choices, but none sounded too old to me.

This seems like an odd choice for Sci Fi Network, especially given how edgy it is at times, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays and how it gets edited. (And it will have to get edited in a couple of places.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I saw most of this ondamand and couldn't find it anywhere to buy, so this is great news. I have wanted to see the ending for a long time.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
It's not really the most sci-fi of choices compared to something like Gurren Lagann, though is it? Isn't it sci-fi in a Saikano kind of way?

Doesn't matter. I'm still ecstatic to see it on Scifi and desperate to watch it. The only problem will be if my parents don't want to fork over the TV...(I won't have moved into the dorm until two weeks later...grr.)
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Not any less 'sci-fi' than their original movies. For the Sci-Fi channel, the barrier between science fiction and other genres really has eroded over the years. With their 'original' movies they seem to be unable to tell the difference between the science fiction and horror genres. You can argue that there isn't much difference between the two, and I don't think I can disagree with that since in some cases, if done right, they can be mixed together (Take the Alien movies for example.) However, you CAN have science fiction without the horror or absolute ridiculous what-if situations (A volcano in NYC? C'mon people.) I'm pretty much convinced that they have absolutely no idea what to do with the shows they have that are actually pretty good.

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep Animonday, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who , Eureka, The Twilight Zone, and any of the Star Trek titles they have on now...but I'm practically begging for the return of Quantum Leap or Mystery Science Theater 3000. But this is the anime board, so I'm just going to stop with my ANGRYFANGIRLRAGH rant.

Last edited by FinfoxAelia on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2