• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Traveling to Japan?]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
I'm planning to go to Japan next year, around June for 3 weeks, need that long to save up the money to pay for it. Found one trip around £2300 and that dosn't include food, but it dose include a week at Hong Kong.

I can get a flight for just under £500 (from the UK)
But Have no idea where I can get info on stuff like hotels, places which are a must see, and places to avoid.

There is Very little info in travel brochers, it seems Japan is not a very popular destination for holiday makers.

Never been there before, but realy want to go.

Any helpfull pointers would be greatly recived. Oh, and I'm no good with the language

Max.

Oh, and any info on events and the best time to go over to Japan would also be helpfull, I haven't set the dates I'm going in stone just yet. Wink

[EDIT - Topic Adjusted -C]
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Go to a bookstore and grab yourself a current guidebook. Stay in business hotels, they're small but half the price of mainstream ones.

US based fast food joints are a ripoff. When in Rome, eat as the natives do.

Summer is hot as hell.

If you're no good with the language, I highly suggest you get good. At the very least learn to read kana, some basic kanji, and words like "here, there, where, left/right, which, who toilet, etc etc etc". If you're going alone you'll need it.

Don't just go to Tokyo, and buy a Japan rail pass for unlimted bullet train travel. Your local embassy can point you to agencies that sell them, or just search for "Japan Rail Pass UK" online. You must purchase the pass before you arrive in Japan
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Go to a bookstore and grab yourself a current guidebook. Stay in business hotels, they're small but half the price of mainstream ones.

If you want cheap rather than close, you should go to Hotel New Koyo. Sorta tricky to get to, but I've only seen one place cheaper, and it didn't have any English-speaking staff. It's located in a fairly out-of-the-way place, though, so you have to be careful or you might get lost en route. :)

They require a security deposit tho, which I don't think is mentioned anywhere on the site. :p

Quote:
Summer is hot as hell.

When I was in Tokyo in March 2k2, it got up to ~70F (21C) with a rather high humidity. Summer would be, as imagined, much worse.

Quote:
At the very least learn to read kana, some basic kanji, and words like "here, there, where, left/right, which, who toilet, etc etc etc". If you're going alone you'll need it.

Yes, at the very least, you'll need it because you CANNOT rely on romaji or english to tell you where things are. In Tokyo there's a fair amount of English, but only if you stick to the main "tourist" areas. If you go looking for samurai sword museums or lesser-traveled parts of Tokyo, you'll run into a distinct lack of English and romaji. Also, unless you're very careful, you'll end up getting lost, and knowing kana will help you get back to more familiar parts. Or, you might simply want to go wandering around Japanese neighborhoods to see what it's like. ;)

Quote:
Don't just go to Tokyo, and buy a Japan rail pass for unlimted bullet train travel. Your local embassy can point you to agencies that sell them, or just search for "Japan Rail Pass UK" online. You must purchase the pass before you arrive in Japan

Or, in other words: An unlimited bullet train pass is only useful if you're going outside of Tokyo. If you intend to stay in Tokyo the entire time, don't get a rail pass. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Max Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, lucky I have over a year to start learning some basic Japanese before I plan on going. Sounds like I will need it.

Max.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1