• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GetBackers (Gettobakkâzu dakkanya)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cherry T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
i looked for a topic about Get Backers and i didn't find one!Although it is a really great anime and original as well,it seems to me that nobody likes it in here!So for all who have watched it ,What did you like and what did you hate?What is your favorite character and why?As for me i think that Kurodo Akabane also known as"Dr Jackal'' is an interesting man,i like Ginji Amano because of his extremely pure personnality and his kindness...What do you think???? Very Happy
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I found the manga to be more entertaining than the anime. Felt that the anime took away too much from the manga. That and the 2nd half of the anime is basically filler with one arc (from what I remember) coming from the manga but sorely hacked down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dubby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Get Backers. They had so many characters with different out-landish powers. I like the little chibi Ginjis too. It was silly and I liked it for that. Dr Jackal was a really great character because he was dangerous yet playful so you had no idea what he would do. I enjoyed Himiko because she was tuff yet cute.. The only thing that got old to me was how long they were in the Limitless Fortress, but otherwise I liked the series in a whole. Enjoyable.
Cherry T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
I found the manga to be more entertaining than the anime. Felt that the anime took away too much from the manga. That and the 2nd half of the anime is basically filler with one arc (from what I remember) coming from the manga but sorely hacked down.

Yes ,that is true!i didn't read the whole manga but i know that many missions have been added to the anime version of Get Backers.But i don't find that the manga is more entertaining since we find a lot of action in the serie!Yet i liked it too! Very Happy
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Its not just that, the manga later contains spoiler[a whole job/mission/arc that delves into Ban's past] and to say the least its interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cherry T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Dubby wrote:
Dr Jackal was a really great character because he was dangerous yet playful so you had no idea what he would do.

That's exactely why I like him and it is totally true that the different characters made the story so intresting and allowed me to say that there have been a lot of events and reactions that i didn't expect the characters to do.Dr.Jackal is the first examplespoiler[(When he joined the Get Backers' team)!I was like no way!isn't he dead ??!] Shocked

[EDIT: spoiler tag fixed. ~Zalis]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, I'm in the process of rewatching the series right now. It's loads of fun, although perhaps a little pretentious at times (like in the Clayman episodes; or the Christian references, particularly using Judas in place of traitor). The second half of the series was a disappointing because there were several characters with backstories waiting to be explained (Shido being chased to the Limitless Fortress; the destruction of the Fuuchoin school and Kazuki's escape to the Limitless Fortress; Himiko, Yamato, Ban, and the curse of the last children; or even Ban's previous encounters with Fudou or the Miroku brothers), but we mostly only learned about Ginji's childhood and being upset that he couldn't save his friends when he was little. Plus there's pretty obviously more to be done with Babylon City when the series ends.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
I tend to agree that the Limitless Fortress episodes took too much time to get through. I do like many of the side characters of which Shido and Madoka probably are my favorite.

Much like Shingu I never really got a good grasp on the setting of this series. Some of the times it felt like contemporary Japan, yet others it felt like a weird cyberpunk styled future. So much of the fashion and styles seem contemporary, yet you get these huge VR simulators that put the holodeck in Star Trek to shame.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second half of the series . I have this odd feeling as though the series started shifting towards a larger female following as it went on, but can't quite point out specific moments that contribute to this and seems more a general mood based off of how the characters act, especially super deformed Ginji.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1