• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spoiler Sensitivity

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthropic Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
How sensitive are you guys to spoilers in anime? Whether you happen to catch them hinted in a forum posting, next episode preview, or even what's written in a series summary, are you the type of anime fan who hates having any foreknowledge of a series, or are you cool with knowing some extra details beforehand?

For me, little spoilers that come from previews or show summaries aren't that bad (it's not like I force myself to watch a show that "blindly"). Actually it's good to have an idea of where a show you're watching is going or have a good idea of what to expect. But if I were to know anything meatier than a 10 second teaser or a brief overview of the next episode, then it can easily kill the suspense from there to the end.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't resist spoilers. I read them every single time. I can't help myself. While I now know what happens in a story that I'm interested in, it doesn't affect the story too much for me because, depending on the way it goes, I'll cry like the girl that I am or get angry, or whatever the emotion should be.

BUT, I'm a firm believer in using spoiler tags. Because some people are able to resist not reading them. (Kudos to you if you're one of them!) I also think that if you aren't sure if something should be spoiler tagged, then you should spoiler tag it. Better to be safe than to be sorry. Because it's not fair to those who want to be left in suspense.

Now, if you are talking about previews for "Next Week's Show!", I rarely watch those because there are several episodes on the DVD, you're about to watch the next episode anyway, so why bother watching the preview. Occasionally, I will watch the previews but only if it's the last episode on the dvd.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Speaking for a moment as a regular anime fan, and not as a moderator (in the latter capacity, my position on spoilers is pretty much zero-tolerance), I have to say that I personally find spoilers to be hugely annoying.

On the one hand, there are threads which are clearly marked as containing spoilers, and I agree that it might be unreasonable to expect people to add spoiler tags to posts in these, on the assumption that everything will be spoilers anyway. However, what is one to do, then, if one is in the process of watching an anime, but not yet through with it? If the spoilered thread is the only one in the forums, there is nowhere to go for discussion of topics that arise as you view the series.

Posting an untagged spoiler is like saying "The butler did it!" at the beginning of detective movie. It's annoying as Hell. I don't go around broadcasting how the Harry Potter books end, even though one may reasonably assume that pretty much everybody and their pet dog have already read them -- because there is a slight but non-negligible chance that the person I am talking to hasn't finished the series.

For the same reason, arguing that some series has "already finished its run on Adult Swim" (as Bellosthemighty did in another thread) just doesn't cut it. Not everybody watches anime on AS, there are other sources (rental/purchase of DVDs, or downloaded fansubs).

There are plenty of important pieces of information that can really ruin the enjoyment of an anime. A classic is Fullmetal Alchemist, where you really don't want to know that spoiler[(no, there is no spoiler here, but if you've seen the anime, you know what I am thinking of)] or that spoiler[(made you look!)], because that would ruin the enjoyment of the anime.

So, as a regular fan, I dislike untagged spoilers intensely.

As a moderator, I have a big huge ol' delete-stick for posts that contain massive untagged spoilers (too many to bother fixing -> BOOM, deleted) or that represent repeat violations/defiance of moderation notices.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm incredibly sensitive towards spoilers. So sensitive in fact that it is rare for me to even watch next episode previews. Hell, I never even read the summaries in the backs of the dvd cases or look at the pictures on them until after I finish it. I don't search for pictures of a series of movie until after I've watched it, because I've had spoilers thrown in my face too much, and they piss me off.

Quote:
There are plenty of important pieces of information that can really ruin the enjoyment of an anime. A classic is Fullmetal Alchemist, where you really don't want to know that spoiler[[(no, there is no spoiler here, but if you've seen the anime, you know what I am thinking of)] or that spoiler[[(made you look!)], because that would ruin the enjoyment of the anime.

Funny. FMA spoilers are what made me hate spoilers so much. On the G4 forums a long time ago when FMA was airing on AS, someone would make threads that had some title that basically didn't describe what the thread was about, then when I clicked on it there would be a HUGE picture there of some important event in FMA that I didn't see yet, and there would be text on the pic basically describing the obvious thing that is happening. This happened a couple of times.

Last edited by Veoryn87 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
There are plenty of important pieces of information that can really ruin the enjoyment of an anime. A classic is Fullmetal Alchemist, where you really don't want to know that spoiler[(no, there is no spoiler here, but if you've seen the anime, you know what I am thinking of)] or that spoiler[(made you look!)], because that would ruin the enjoyment of the anime.

So, as a regular fan, I dislike untagged spoilers intensely.

As a moderator, I have a big huge ol' delete-stick for posts that contain massive untagged spoilers (too many to bother fixing -> BOOM, deleted) or that represent repeat violations/defiance of moderation notices.

- abunai

Ahahaha thats hilarious.

Anyways as for my own views on spoilers.................I can't resist them. I pretty much have the same views of spoilers as LydiaDianne and that it won't really affect my viewing of that episode. However depending on what is in the spoiler tags I may put off watching the certain episode I have read a spoiler for. That only occurs for character deaths as if I like the character I will do my best to avoid watching them die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
That only occurs for character deaths as if I like the character I will do my best to avoid watching them die.

Well, my kids (with whom I watch anime in copious amounts) have long since learned that when I like a supporting character very much, it's usually the kiss of death for him or her.

My oldest boy asked me one day, about a character in an anime we were watching:

"You're pretty fond of her, right?"
"Yah, she's a great character."
"She's going to die, then."

Sure enough, she died in the very next episode.

Smart-arse kid. Wonder where he gets that from?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:
That only occurs for character deaths as if I like the character I will do my best to avoid watching them die.

Well, my kids (with whom I watch anime in copious amounts) have long since learned that when I like a supporting character very much, it's usually the kiss of death for him or her.

My oldest boy asked me one day, about a character in an anime we were watching:

"You're pretty fond of her, right?"
"Yah, she's a great character."
"She's going to die, then."

Sure enough, she died in the very next episode.

Smart-arse kid. Wonder where he gets that from?

- abunai

Ahahaha wow that was hilarious for me at least. Do you mind me asking what series you were watching?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Ahahaha wow that was hilarious for me at least. Do you mind me asking what series you were watching?

Well, I figure answering that question would likely spoil the anime in question, so... no can do.

- abunai
Anthropic Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
On the one hand, there are threads which are clearly marked as containing spoilers, and I agree that it might be unreasonable to expect people to add spoiler tags to posts in these, on the assumption that everything will be spoilers anyway. However, what is one to do, then, if one is in the process of watching an anime, but not yet through with it? If the spoilered thread is the only one in the forums, there is nowhere to go for discussion of topics that arise as you view the series.

That's true. Another case might have something to do with going into a thread with a topic heading like "Favorite Anime Endings" or "Most Emotional Character Deaths" (which I'm guessing are favorites among those who like spoilers).

While it's plainly obvious for one to expect spoilers to be abound in such threads, it still is something that is too risky for people who are afraid spoilers to enter. Posters might chip in and give a response with spoiler tags, while another poster, through careless hindsight, slips up or chooses the wrong details to hide. Not to mention finding a real reason for a 'spoiler-phobe' to enter threads like those, unless they're trying to carefully find someone to agree with on a specific character death or anime closure that they've seen.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm very cautious about shows that I'm in the middle of watching when it comes to looking for some discussion on the forums. So far I haven't killed an entire series, but short side arcs have been ruined due to new users not using our lovely spoiler[tags].

Usually, I avoid threads devoted to series I haven't seen yet altogether in the event that I may someday wish to view them. Not knowing what's going to happen from scene to scene really kicks up the enjoyment for certain series (such as Death Note), but for series like Lucky Star, I could really care less whether or not I know the punchline to that oh-so-hilarious joke.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the severity of the spoiler for me. I don't mind a minor spoiler really, but if someone dies or there's a huge revelation or something like that, then yeah, I mind. If it's just something minor like, "such and such series ending is so sad" then I don't mind. Heck, sometimes I ask for a little bit of information about how an ending feels for people.

Eureka Seven is an example where I was afraid the anime would end like the disappointing manga that came with the SE's, so I asked people who saw the anime already to put those fears to rest. I still don't know the details about the ending, but I at least know it's more positive than the manga.

Generally though I just think it's best people play it safe and flag anything that could be considered a spoiler. My bigger pet peeve is people who flag a whole huge block as a spoiler and provide next to nothing in the discussion around the spoiler to let the reader know where this spoiler takes place or what it's about. If you have to read the spoiler to know whether it's about something you already know or not then it's useless to even flag it at all.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I actually had a thread about this a while back. I, like LydiaDianne cannot resist spoiling things for myself. When I start a series I pretty much know beforehand or find out during the series how it will end. I have been curbing this impulse lately, although I can't say it's made a large difference. Even knowing about character betrayals doesn't bother me, although it's a nice test to see if I can resist looking things up. Usually I can't, and I've found that nicely, as long as I choose what is and isn't spoiled, it doesn't affect my experience. I mean, obviously in mystery shows you can't ever get your first time back, but I even watch mystery shows like the american tv series Veronica Mars over and over again. Bottom line: doesn't bother me to know exactly where everything is going.

You can think of it like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet--- everyone knows the ending but it didn't make a bit of difference actually reading it.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The spoilers that drive me insane are the "double whammy" types - something like this: Do not look if you haven't seen the last episode of "Kansai Kappa Kommandos"! spoiler[I cried like a baby when Michiko sacrificied herself to save the others. It was almost as bad as the last episode of "Pink Panda Pugilists" when Nanami confessed her love right before dying in Sato's arms.]

If I have already watched the end of "Kansai Kappa Kommandos", I have no reason not to open that spoiler. But if I have not seen the end of "Pink Panda Pugilists" that series has probably been ruined - especially if I happen to be a big Nanami fan.
Anthropic Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Funny, I actually had a thread about this a while back.

Oopsie... my apologies if this thread has been done before.

It's a little bit hard to narrow down an "advanced search" with the word spoilers and find a similiar thread.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
If I have already watched the end of "Kansai Kappa Kommandos", I have no reason not to open that spoiler. But if I have not seen the end of "Pink Panda Pugilists" that series has probably been ruined - especially if I happen to be a big Nanami fan.

Aw, dammit! Furudanuki, I'd just finished downloading the fansubs of Pink Panda Pugilists, and now you spoiled it for me.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4