• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RahXephon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickeyv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well i have noticed that its become some what of a tradition on this forum, that when some one finishes a series the create a thread like, "so i just finished blah blah blah........" so i guess i had go through the paces and conjure one of these, especialy since i am absoultely clueless about the end. The last two episodes just seem to make no sense.

More specificaly i wanna know what is it that happens in the last fifteen minuts,

some one please translate all the symbology...........

Edit: Sorry mods so much for the two twin threads, you see there was some problem with my browser....sorry so much
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
its been a while so I may have a few details wrong.

essentially:-
spoiler[Quon and Ayato come together and recreate the world(tune the world or whatever) and they get to create it as they see fit. It looks as if Ayato's mind won out(if indeed there was a real battle as to which of the two's worlds would be created, (the fighitng they did may or may not have been serious or just a way of erasing the old world) and as such the world is recreated by Ayato into his image of what it should be. He ends up marrying/living with Haruka and being the same age as her(he looks a lot like that professor dude, but if you listen Haruka is speaking to him on the phone before it pans over to Ayato painting). Quon looks to be reborn as Ayato and Haruka's child or they may be taking care of her for the professor(Ixtli? Itski?). More or less the ending is a happy one, they erased the old world and were given the choice of recreating it as a Tokyo Jupiter style world or as a 'real' world and they chose a 'real' world in which people who died are no longer dead and are alive again and Ayato and Haruka are able to be together. Its confusing in that there are lots of symbols and strange names flying around all over the place but if you listen to some of the minor characters dialogue it all becomes much easier to make those leaps of intuition that bring it all to a 'fairly' logcial or at least explained end.]

I vastly prefer this series to EVA as to me at least everything comes together into a happy ending that I feel is well deserved, pretty much everything is explained at some point, often by characters who take no real action, such as the guys from Barbem.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey thanks so much, its like i didn't really expect Raxehopne to incorporate so much spoiler[symbology and psychological stuff at the ending, since they sorta only took stabs at it for like the previously 24 episodes, and i was expecting some what of a final battle or something, and just fo the record i like the original design of the Raxephone,]
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching it and I didn't have a problem understanding the end, more like some details in between, but they don't really bother me. hentai4me put it quite nicely.

Btw it's spelled RahXephon ;p

(double posted too)... Gah!
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I had to go to the Wikipedia entry to clear everything up for me. I highly recommend it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
You might also watch RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio. The storyline is a tad different and some characters do not have the same importance but in general the gist is the same. After watching RX: PC, some of my questions were answered.

Also, I enjoyed the story as well, I thought that it was well done. It is not as thought provoking as the series, but well done nonetheless.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I had to go to the Wikipedia entry to clear everything up for me. I highly recommend it.

really?

While right now I cant remember it perfectly I remember that at the time when I finished it I had a definite sense of everything, it all made perfect sense to me when I watched it, all the leaps of intuition and joins in the plots and sub texts all were prominant enough t work for me.

It does what EVA fails to do, come to a satisfactory, well explained ending with little irrelevant extra stuff or widely loose ends. This seies is the prime example of how to do a mecha/romance/psychological series.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere else I wrote:
...They put some stuff in the movie that clears up a few things in the series. After watching RahXephon, I was still really confused about a lot of stuff until I watched the movie, RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentito, mainly the whole purpose behind the RahXephon system and the Mulians 'grand design'
You can't really get everything by watching just the series, and you get even less from just watching the movie based on that series

Watching Pluralitas Concentito really clears things up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
It does what EVA fails to do, come to a satisfactory, well explained ending with little irrelevant extra stuff or widely loose ends. This seies is the prime example of how to do a mecha/romance/psychological series.

I wouldn't say failed. Evangelion wasn't really intended to have a "satisfactory, well explained ending" as you put it. It was meant to be highly esoteric, and left up to the viewer to ultimately decide.

But anyway, I really love RahXephon. Haven't gotten to the ending yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
What they should have done with Eva was to give a specfic pattern for something in symbology. Clues etc which lead to one ending. It would have been fun to research over them and then piece together everything to make up the ending. Sorta ala Da Vinchi code, according to opinions here i am getting the impressions they went to an art form called surrealism and left every thing up to opinion and perception. I really thing surrealsim does not belong in anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
What they should have done with Eva was to give a specfic pattern for something in symbology. Clues etc which lead to one ending. It would have been fun to research over them and then piece together everything to make up the ending. Sorta ala Da Vinchi code, according to opinions here i am getting the impressions they went to an art form called surrealism and left every thing up to opinion and perception. I really think surrealsim does not belong in anime.

So you think that Evangelion and other anime should be clear, distinct, and decipherable? Evangelion wouldn't have gotten as much fame as it did if it weren't for all the mystery/surrealism and the two endings -- no other anime that I know of has 2 endings, and that's what helps make Eva unique. I think surrealism has a place in anime--without it, you wouldn't have series like Serial Experiments: Lain or Revolutionary Girl: Utena (ok, I'm probably mis-applying the term here). Actually, I downgraded RahXephon for its intelligibility, and spoiler[its too-happy, almost harem-like ending where all the girls came out and told Ayato they loved him. Life ain't that easy, and Eva felt more real in that department. If it weren't for episode 19, RX would have fallen lower in my book.]
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
Yup its was uniqure but if some one else does it again it would not be so amazing. Actualy thats the reason why i think they chucked in surrealism, the producers probably must have said stuff like this, oh lets do this since no one else has done it. Such perceptions are always lurking in the minds of manga-ka and anime producers, they always want to try some thing new, they call original.

But i still think that some one else going the surrealism route would be recieved with half the welcome.

And yes if you do not like happy ending and if you didnot want Ayato and Haruka to be together you would most certainly think the ending is cheap and chessy.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
I think the whole retuneing the world ending made sense, and was well done. With out some radical improvement in the world. What would be the point of the series. Just one long meaningless spree of death.

You needed that happy ending to justify the utter devestation of the series. Does the last scene come off corny, or too sappy I do not think so. Remember Haruka, and Ayato have gone through some real gut wrenching stuff. The whole series has these two characters suffering for the most part. I will not sight the dozens of incidents, because I would need a huge spoiler section. Anyway its nice that the series does not end with them suffering anymore.

Now if the series had been everyone happy go lucky, and smiles. Then yeah the ending would be sappy. In this series though its a justified ending. It makes sense, and the quote sappiness at the end was pretty required.

P.S. Incase the original poster missed it. You need to watch till the end of the credits to get the real great ending to rahxephon. There is one additional scene behind the credits. That may help you snap a few peices in place.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
Personally I feel that the happy ending made the series better, spoiler[Ayato was given the opportunity to re-create the world as he chose fit, why would he chose to not let himself be with Haruka? Plus by having a happy ending it made the series itself have a concluded point to it, an unhappy one would have left me wondering why Ayato chose not to be with her.]
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
First off, there are probably going to be some SPOILERS in this topic, but I'm not tremendously familiar with the series, so I won't know what to black out with tags.. so forgive me on that. Just a warning!

That said, I was wondering a few things about Rahxephon. Now, I watched the entire tv series once, but it was on some terrible bootleg boxset that a friend of mine accidently bought (How about subtitles where the spelling/translation of the characters' names change EVERY episode? Don't buy bootlegs, kids), so it left me very confused about the series. I know it has a heavy influence from Eva, and many people on this forum seemed to have liked it better than Eva, but after watching the series, I felt that Raxephon was much more confusing and off-putting. What I wanted to know is.. am I confused about the series because I watched a crappy translation, or am I right in my impressions about it? Hear me out:

The main character, Ayato, seemed to be completely unrealistic and hard-to-relate to when compared with Shinji. Basically in the series' beginning, he finds himself spoiler[suddenly in the middle of a war. That's pretty insane. Then he finds out about the blue blood, finds out that his mother is an alien, and later, that he is an alien as well. EVERYTHING he ever knew, turns out to be a lie, and on top of that, is brought to the island, away from the home he was used to, and has to pilot/tune/sex up the Rahxephon and fight the MU/Dolem thingies. Despite his world completely turning upside down, Ayato only seems to show some mild surprise at being tossed into a war, and slow contemplation about his whole life being a lie.] I didn't understand how he could've accepted ALL OF THAT so easily; I find that Shinji, a troubled child to begin with, was much more realistic in his fear, his urges to run away, and the panic and confusion and trauma he felt. Ayato just seems to take an episode to think about his situation, not at all traumatized by his world as he knows it melting away, and calmly accepts his new responsiblities. I didn't get it.

Also I felt that most of the side stories about politics and the scientists/soldiers behind the whole Rahxephon project were very confusing and told in a disjointed way, and in the end, did not seem to matter to the main storyline. It's like.. Evangelion was confusing because Anno is psychotic and overall, Eva was just some kind of cryptic allegory that no one will ever truly know how to interpret. It was a lot of weird symbolism and psuedo-religious references. I could accept that. But Rahxephon seemed to be confusing just to be confusing and try and disorient the viewer as much as possible; I'm saying this because the core story of Rahxephon- the love story- makes perfect literal sense on its own, but it seems like the director threw a lot of mixed up crap and bizarre nonsensical character revelations and side-stories to obscure the literal story.

Despite all my confusion towards Rahxephon, it still did keep my interest, and I enjoyed the art/designs, music, and the love story idea, so I'm wondering, should I give it another chance? Is my confusion grounded, or does it sound like the crappy translation of the bootleg screw up my experience?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7