• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Violent death scenes.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellfire104

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
What anime out there have the most awful, violent, disturbing death scenes? We are doing a panel on violent death scenes and really want to beef it up. I'm talking Ninja Scroll level violence with crazy rock men drink the blood out of ripped off arms.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, the end of Berserk is basically one big violent death scene. And if spoiler[it isn't disturbing seeing them kill off every one of the characters you've come to know and love throughout the series one by one] then I don't know what is.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
While there are definitely plenty other violent, gruesome deaths in the series, the first half of episode 1 of Elfen Lied is easily the most memorable and jam-packed with them. Plenty of mind-controlled ballpoint pen killing action, too.

I just hope that its constant full frontal nudity isn't too objectional for the panel Laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
You could try Fist of the North Star or Bastard!!. Although I'm sure they try to be so gore and violent it borders a comical level. For example, in North Star you have people exploding from within, having their heads crushed (rare), and being sliced up (literally).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne.

The whole show is about immortal women who die but who are then resurrected. Armed with this plot device, the show goes on a crusade to make as many over-the-top deaths as possible.

Including, but not limited to, being sucked in and ground up by a jet engine. Or being sadistically pierced by another woman, generating mortal wounds...or being eaten by a dude that she is copulating with.

Oh, I'd be remiss to neglect the scene where a woman gets torn apart by a horde of zombies she created. Or when a woman blows herself up with a bomb implanted in her body. Or the woman who gets stabbed in the eye and eviscerated on a hotel floor and is left to exsanguinate.

I don't know if you're looking for gruesome deaths with a comedic feel to them, but hey, as a panelist you can spin anything into what you want, right? The power of presentation.

(*It should be noted that, as the ANN review says, this show is a raunchier, yet still classier, Freezing or Queen's Blade)

...if this is for a panel, you'll probably need some selective editing.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You could try Fist of the North Star or Bastard!!. Although I'm sure they try to be so gore and violent it borders a comical level. For example, in North Star you have people exploding from within, having their heads crushed (rare), and being sliced up (literally).

Yea Fist of the North Star goes way over the top one of many reasons I love it. Gantz from what I remember have some interesting deaths.

Also, the manga of berserk does a far much better job with all its rape and killing. But yea Berserk again is just a bloodbath.

The whole Urotsukidoji: Legand of the Overfiend series but that highly borders on hentai. The 1st one is actually pretty good with a decent story with insane amount of killing, death, rape, killing and more rape( yes I said killing and rape twice. There are a lot of it in this series.) I think there are 4 OVA series that have the Urotsukidoji title in the name. Thats what I would recommend if your looking for something that borders on what insanity Japan can come up with.

Devilman has some interesting deaths from what I can remember.

I know there are some other movies that are even better then what I listed but I cant remember what they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
The only death scene to come to mind meeting the criteria above is a particular death in Kanon.
It's awful because it added nothing to the overall story of a taiyaki thief. It's violent because it attacks the senses senselessly, leaving viewers to scream "What the hell!!". It's disturbing because it was all intentional to boost the sales of tissue makers.

I'm fine with arms being ripped off, brains being blown out of craniums, and even watching a sadistic female insert very painful items into holes we men don't have, but I draw the line at ridiculous death scenes used for monetary gain.
evil_kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
a good one would be higurashi e.g. a 12 year old girl slamming her head repeatedly into a large knife until she kills herself
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh I also forgot to mention Kite as well. Some pretty brutal deaths in that movie but nothing crazy over the top like i mentioned before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
There are numerous scenes in Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni that would meet your needs. I would also definitely suggest looking into Elfen Lied...there's all sorts of push-the-limit violence in there. Also...Shiki ep. 14 is incredibly disturbing...watching a man dissect his own wife while she's still alive and able to feel everything...does more than just get under your skin, let me tell you.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The final Ideon Movie, Be Invoked has pretty much the entire cast meet violent deaths. The most disturbing one in particular has a young girl around 7 or so having her head vaporized by an enemy laser beam.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven, with spoiler[ the deaths of Charles and Ray Beams; Charles by Holland's machine gun, and Ray when the Swan is destroyed, but not before having her arm torn off after Holland's attack], comes to mind.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The most disturbing one in particular has a young girl around 7 or so having her head vaporized by an enemy laser beam.

The animated .gif of this scene has now passed into message board lore, to a degree that I've become desensitised.

On a similar note, Barefoot Gen is worthy of being mentioned. I do not approve of this film, though it certainly fits this thread's criterion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a good one would be higurashi e.g. a 12 year old girl slamming her head repeatedly into a large knife until she kills herself

This has been in so many AMVs that it's passe.

Also, without the horror elements of the rest of the show to set the mood for that scene, the scene is almost comedic. The art style has a lot to do with it. If the art focused on realism, instead of giving us a brightly-colored, less detailed Clannad*, then the scene could be pretty gruesome out of context.

Though the OP almost seems to want comically over-the-top death scenes.

(*All of the characters embody moe, and all look underage, such that the female characters that are supposedly in high school (one is visible in this knife-scene) are only a few small steps removed from being oppai lolis)
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Although I'm sure they try to be so gore and violent it borders a comical level.

They don't try to be. They are. North Star more so than Bastard.

And hey OP, check out Ninja Resurrection as well. I recall it being very gory. Bastard and Afro Samurai too. As for disturing deaths, while not gory, Narutaru had some grotesque ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2