• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and the Grammys

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if an anime soundtrack has ever been nominated for a Grammy? Do you think that since Spirited Away won an Oscar that the door is a little more open for something like that to happen? If you could nominate an album for a Grammy, which one would it be?

As for me, I'd have to nominate the Haibane Renmei soundtrack. That bad boy just SMOKES.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I think the door's been open for a bit now, I can't remember which year, but, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was up for an award of some sort, but damn Beauty and Beast beat it! Damn you Disney!! Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was so much better done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Meson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:16 pm Reply with quote
As with teh Oscars, all nomonies have to be released both in teh US and it's home market during the same year, which is the year before the even.

Since, most anime soundtracks are released a year or more later than their Japanese release, if they are released, most anime soundtracks won't win anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:24 am Reply with quote
Poor anime soundtracks......... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:33 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
I think the door's been open for a bit now, I can't remember which year, but, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was up for an award of some sort, but damn Beauty and Beast beat it! Damn you Disney!! Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was so much better done.

Beauty and the Beast was a brilliant movie.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:51 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Carol Maxwell wrote:

Beauty and the Beast was a brilliant movie.

Clearly you haven't seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The art ALONE beats what Beauty and Beast!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:53 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
Clearly you haven't seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The art ALONE beats what Beauty and Beast!

Lian has a right to her own opinion; nobody has to think like you, and you shouldn't force your views on those that don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:57 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Carol Maxwell wrote:

Lian has a right to her own opinion; nobody has to think like you, and you shouldn't force your views on those that don't.

Sorry about that, I'll give Beauty and the Beast this much: it won something.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:59 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:

I'd vote B&B over Bloodlust. I like B&B's music and animation a lot better. I could explain why, but it doesn't much matter...

But... Are you _SURE_? B&B was 1991. Bloodlust was 2001. It's _very_ rare that an old film like that would go up against a new film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:03 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
But... Are you _SURE_? B&B was 1991. Bloodlust was 2001. It's _very_ rare that an old film like that would go up against a new film.

I think so, I could be wrong, but then again, maybe the person I heard it from could be wrong, or maybe I misinterpreted it, bleah. -.-() But then again, it could've been that rare occasion.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:14 am Reply with quote
Beauty and the Beast was an absolutely amazing movie. Not only were the visuals beautiful, but the soundtrack was wonderful. It didn't just win "something." It won the Oscar for Best Feature Film. Despite what many anime fanatics may say, Disney is a wonderful company (although one can argue its history/future under Eisner) and they have made some brilliant animated films. Beauty and the Beast was one of their best.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was a cool movie. It had nice CGI sequences, and a very nice storyline. But in terms of sheer artistic magnitude, it does not, and will not (IMHO) ever compare with Beauty and the Beast.

Beauty and the Beast: 1991. VHD: Bloodlust: 2001. Together? No.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:12 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Beauty and the Beast was an absolutely amazing movie. Not only were the visuals beautiful, but the soundtrack was wonderful. It didn't just win "something." It won the Oscar for Best Feature Film. Despite what many anime fanatics may say, Disney is a wonderful company (although one can argue its history/future under Eisner) and they have made some brilliant animated films. Beauty and the Beast was one of their best.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was a cool movie. It had nice CGI sequences, and a very nice storyline. But in terms of sheer artistic magnitude, it does not, and will not (IMHO) ever compare with Beauty and the Beast.

Beauty and the Beast: 1991. VHD: Bloodlust: 2001. Together? No.

Ah, I see. Eh, don't mind me, I've had something against Disney for a long time, mainly because I'm dragged to their movies that I don't want to see in the first place. Well, since the information that I heard about Beauty and the Beast and VHD: Bloodlust, is incorrect, sorry about that.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:15 pm Reply with quote
All right, so now that we've got THAT out of the way, can we return to the topic at hand, purty pleeze?

When Princess Mononoke came out, I remember the hype that Siskel and Ebert were giving it, but I can't recall anyone talking about the fantastic score that Joe Hisaishi wrote for the movie. I've yet to see Spirited Away [A POX UPON THEE!!], but I imagine that Joe's work was just as good there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quote
If any anime soundtrack will get a grammy it will be one that Yoko Kanno has worked on.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Or Taku Iwasaki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2