• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
If you liked the movie Blade Runner, you'll probably enjoy Ergo Proxy. EP has a lot of atmosphere, drama, dialogue, and philosophical/psychological interpretation. There's a little action here and there, but definitely not in big enough spurts for me to call it an "action" title. It's nothing like The Matrix, but a lot better paced than Noir and Burst Angel combined. It's a dark, dark, series, borderline post-Apocalypse, I'd even say. Watch it expecting a sci-fi drama/mystery/thriller.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, what stops you from calling it full-fledged post-apocalyptic, Tony? I would have figured humans struggling to survive in a few isolated locations amid a desolate Earth would be past borderline. I agree on pretty much everything else, though. Also, I'd like to comment that the only way I'd ever think to use Burst Angel and Ergo Proxy in the same sentence, is if they were connected by the words "is nothing at all like."
jjordan33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Ohhh, well that's even cooler then. I mean sure, I like some cool action(u guys seen afro samurai?, super cool) but sci-fi is by far my fav. genre. I believe I'll go ahead and buy it, thank you.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Out of curiosity, what stops you from calling it full-fledged post-apocalyptic, Tony?

When I watched the series, there was something about the world outside of the domes that didn't quite feel like the Apocalypse, but more so error and foolishness on the behalf of mankind. I suppose one person's definition of "Apocalypse" might have different interpretations from person to person, though I've always felt The Apocalypse was a result of powers outside the control of man. And it very well may have been spoiler[ the Proxys, or were they created by the humans?] It's been a while since I've seen it, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

My anime definitions for Apocalypse are more along the lines of X (TV), Evangelion, RahXephon, or maybe even Fate/stay night, something supernatural, which again, spoiler[ depending on the origins of those Proxys may very well change my opinion. But if they're man-made, then I personally would not agree in calling it a "true" Apocalypse, just man being stupid again.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure spoiler[the proxies were manmade in response to the uninhabitable state of the world,] but I can't recall what they said was the cause for the toxic atmosphere and such. That may very well have been a result of human idiocy. Yeah, I don't distinguish between the cause of the disaster for the usage of the word.
jjordan33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
If you were asked to describe Evangelion (which is what I'm doing right now btw), how would you do it?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hm.. I've only seen Evangelion twice (movies once) and it's probably been 5, maybe 6 years since. When I first saw it, I thought the story was fairly epic in the grand scheme of things. On a second viewing, I paid more attention and found it to be an interesting character study as well. I thought the Christian elements were especially well done, as I view all religions more as mythology rather than something to actually practice/believe in. And no offense to Christians, but most interpretations I see aren't that entertaining aside from Jesus Christ Superstar, Hellsing, Dogma, and Ned Flanders.

Content-wise, I'd say Eva probably has enough of everything to keep you in to it, if not for the story and impending Apocalypse, then at least for the characters and some of their.. issues. Giant robots fighting monsters, teenagers acting like teenagers, a hormonally imbalanced boy thinking all sorts of ideas and acting so fickle you just wanna' backhand him in the face, and many more things I won't spoil. Action, comedy, drama, mecha, psychology, religious references, romance, science fiction, supernatural beings <-- if you don't mind these, watch it.
jjordan33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, sounds pretty wellrounded. Perhaps after Ergo Proxy(which btw, kicks all sorts of the major asses in the world) I'll give it a go. I don't like to mix animes unless they're lighter ones like Naruto, Steel Angel, Love Hina, et cetera.

and no, Super natural beings don't dissuade me at all. Although if there is a heavy emphasis on the christian element(like that one movie, oh what's it called.....Ninja Resurrection???) I won't be able to stomache it, but if it's merely a supplement for the advancement of the story it shouldn't be a problem.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I'm pretty sure spoiler[the proxies were manmade in response to the uninhabitable state of the world,] but I can't recall what they said was the cause for the toxic atmosphere and such. That may very well have been a result of human idiocy. Yeah, I don't distinguish between the cause of the disaster for the usage of the word.

spoiler[The Proxies (as they said in the series) were made by god, to bring the Apocalypse and then destroy each other. And as for the cause of the state of that world, I think it was tied to the appearance of the Proxies.] I'm just going to say that all of that is a spoiler just to be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if anyone who seen Tenjho Tenge could let me know a little bit about it. Between the big price cut for it on TRSI, the awesome looking box, and the wicked OP, I've had a recent explosion of interest in the show. I've read the summary and it sounds a lot like Ikkitousen, which I found fun to watch. I normally don't ask for advice, but this would be a pricey blind buy ($50) and I've heard not so great things about the show. Of course I can say the same for Ikki (which I only risked $25 on) and this is where my uncertainty comes from.

All I'm looking for is if it's a fun show to watch. Is it a fun ecchi like Ikkitousen was?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Phantom Claymore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
hey y'all. some of the best action anime i have seen personally is Claymore, Samurai 7, and Samurai Deeper Kyo.
Anyone like those?
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Claymore wrote:
hey y'all. some of the best action anime i have seen personally is Claymore, Samurai 7, and Samurai Deeper Kyo.
Anyone like those?

Why? I need a reason. This is a recommendation thread, if you are recommending stuff tell me why you are doing so. If you want to discuss the specific anime and see if anyone likes those please go to the specific anime discussion thread. Thank you.

Personally I've only seen Claymore out of the three you have mentioned. As far as action go it definitely fits the category, and I would have to second that recommendation just based on the amount of violence and action sequences involved. However there are many flaws in the character development that perplexed me. I also disliked the ending and conclusion to the series, it left me more questions then answers, which is particularly irksome to me. But if you just want violence and action this series will satisfy anyone's craving.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:

spoiler[The Proxies (as they said in the series) were made by god, to bring the Apocalypse and then destroy each other. And as for the cause of the state of that world, I think it was tied to the appearance of the Proxies.] I'm just going to say that all of that is a spoiler just to be safe.

spoiler[ That's part of it yeah, but not the whole truth as I understood it. Think of it like a massive terraforming project engineered by an advanced humanity who survived whatever war or catastrophe the Earth went through. They create a "Proxy God" (Vincent's former personality) and this "Proxy God" creates Proxies and the Proxies created the domes, cloned humans, and Autoreivs. I don't think anybody who lived on the planet were actually survivors of whatever frelled Earth. All the Earth's inhabitants at that point were all just some expendable lab rats involved in an immense inhumane experiment by humanity to determine when they could resettle Earth. ]

spoiler[Their whole plan was supposed to end neatly with Proxies killing other proxies and the cloned humans so that the Earth would be livable and empty for the advanced humanity. You see their ships arriving at the end. Of course things didn't exactly work out that way thanks to Vincent and company. Vincent/Ergo Proxy is understandably pissed at them and how they used him and the proxies, and treated life like garbage. Whether or not he succeeds in his vengeance is up to you or a future sequel if Manglobe wants more of my money.]

Edit: Crap, I just wrote all that for posts made in January, but oh well, hopefully it was useful to somebody. Neutral
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Uhh...I think some people don't know what an "action" series is. Just because there is some chick running around with a gun, does not make it an action show. I highly disagree with Gunslinger Girl, Madlax and Noir being considered action series (not that there's anything wrong with action series, it's just these are not action type shows). Yes they have action scenes, but they are dramas. Really, they are mostly dramas that have scenes of action breaking up the drama throughout. (well IDK really about Noir never saw that, but if it's like Madlax...). I say this because people going into these series will probally be upset to find not non-stop action, but instead character dramas that have to do with girls fighting with guns.

However here are some recommendations for action shows

Mezzo Forte and Mezzo DSA - Non stop action in these series. These are two very fun, high octane action shows. Forte is the original OVA and DSA is the TV Series sequel. Both shows are fun, funny, and never let you down if all you seek is some action.

ShootFighter Tekken - This is an EPIC martial arts/fighting anime. Great fight scenes, interesting characters, and surprisingly good artwork/animation. Just don't expect it to be very understated, or laid back or anything, I mean the main character happily exclaims spoiler[ "If I could fight God, I'd gladly lay one down with the Almighty!!" to which his teacher and I (outloud) respond "Did he really just say that?"]. The thing is, this series knows it's over the top, and it's quite happy to remain that way. Which is a good thing, because it's a little hard to take too seriously. But the action scenes are realistic enough, and there's no super beam canons or anything, all real fight moves, even the special attacks. Perhaps a litle exaggerated for dramatic effect, but realistic none-the-less. It's a fun, crazy, fighting series. A solid action anime if nothing else. Just don't expect it to get deep on you or anything.

Last edited by Prede on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Agreed, that people need to be able to better place a show's main genre, or at least point out that action isn't it's only genre when recomending it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8