• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sub quality on Shuffle! dvd

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grantosis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the Shuffle! series and i'm planning on buying the dvd, but i can't find any screenshots of the subs on the dvd. Does anyone own it and if so how are the subs? I'm sure they're not as good as the fansubs but i still wanna know.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
You won't be seeing them anytime soon because the R1 DVDs for Shuffle! won't be released until Spring of 2008. Smile

http://funimation.com/shuffle/
detective392

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The guy working on the show said that was a mistake there trying to release it in fall 2007 there shooting for october he said at otakon.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
At any rate it's not out yet, I don't even know of any places you can preorder yet. If it was out it would be in my collection. That's why you can't find anything on it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
Grantosis wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Shuffle! series and i'm planning on buying the dvd, but i can't find any screenshots of the subs on the dvd. Does anyone own it and if so how are the subs? I'm sure they're not as good as the fansubs but i still wanna know.
I'm not sure what you mean by "not as good as the fansubs." Will the DVDs from Funimation have uber-cool karaoke and subtitles colored according to the girls' hair? No they won't, but those things don't make subtitles better, they just make them glitzier and flashier. Even as someone who likes fansubs, I'm getting disturbed by the "fansub subtitles > DVD subtitles" myth. Yeah, imo there are a few series where that's happened, and fansubs may do certain things better, but the reality is that overall, [pros working from written scripts and audio] > [amateurs working from audio only]. And while the Shuffle! DVDs from Funimation aren't available yet, I can post this as an example:

This is From Rumbling Hearts, and it shows Funi's standard font color/size/style. Note that Funimation leaves honorifics like san/kun/sama/chan/dono/sensei/senpai in their subtitles, though they rightfully stop short of leaving oniichan, oneechan, etc. in there like fansubs do.

Speaking of fansubs...

Take it from me, the fansubs for Shuffle! were not particularly high-end. You had Knkf, with their tenuous grasp of the English language and resulting slew of editing errors. You had f-b, whom I normally respect, but their translations were so full of dumb "creativities" like "I still love Rin" where the line should've been "I love Rin too". So I went with AnimeU as a final choice, and while they were decent, they were inexperienced at the time and certainly not at or above professional level.

*note: it's been decided that mentioning group names in limited quantities is okay if not in a "here's where to DL it Wink Wink" context.

Would you care to link to where you found this DVD? I'd say it's a strong possibility that any Shuffle! DVD with English subs that's available now is a bootleg. If it's from ebay, Amazon (aside from amazon.co.jp) or any site that gets wordfiltered on this forum (try posting it and see), there's an even higher chance that it's a bootleg. If that's the case, don't buy it, wait for Funi's release.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer the smaller font and white text that Funi uses. One thing that I find odd is the triple line subs for group responses

Right!
Right!
Right!

when multiple people are answering. I also find it odd that they tend to change episode titles for the English alternate angle, but fortunately translate the title accurately in the subs.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
I like the look of those subs, especially the colour. I really wish less subs were yellow.

(also yay for being able to mention fansub groups names instead of just talking around them)
Grantosis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info!

I was planning on buying from (*name removed, do NOT evade forum wordfilters.~Zalis*) but was sure about their credibility. I know this is veering off the topic but has anyone ever dealt with them and if so how was the quality?

L8er dayz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
They're a bootleg website, you can tell by how cheap everything is, for starters. Legit anime usually ranges from $14-30 for a single disc release and $40-200 for a complete series depending on length and company pricing policy. Secondly they have titles that have not been liscensed in the US and obviously can't have a legit region 1 release. Since they seem to sell both legit and bootlegs I would be really weary about buying from them if I were you and find a more reputable place.

Other things to help spot a bootleg:

Anything by these companies who are known bootleggers: "Animation Video," "Anime Cartoon/Manga International" (not to be confused with Manga Entertainment which is legit), "Fx" and "Anime Studio"

The region coding will be 0 or "Region Free". Region-less DVDs are quite rare but there are some

The Individual discs in the set contain more than 5 episodes per disc. Usually a domestic company will only put up to 5 episodes on a disc. Commonly bootlegs have more like 7-9 on a disc and the quality of the video and audio suffers because of this compression. It will also mean that the bootleg set will have a very small number of discs, only 2 discs for a 13 episode series, 3 for 26 episode series, etc. Also an official Japanese import will only have 1 to 3 episodes per disc.

The DVD has English and Chinese Subtitles, this is the most common way to spot one.

Offen sellers will claim the set is an "Import" and then sell it for cheap which should ring some bells because importing official Japanese releases is even more expensive than buying discs domestically.

I suggest DeepDiscount.com or the frequent sales at Rightstuf.com if you want to get anime legally and also as cheap as possible.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
As I suspected...yeah, that site is one of the premiere bootleg sellers out there. Yeah, they do sell some legitimate stuff, but don't give them your money either way. Just keep an eye on ANN and AnimeOnDVD to see announcements of when the legit DVDs are coming out.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I like the look of those subs, especially the colour. I really wish less subs were yellow.
I wish the same thing -- yellow subs don't bother me, but one of the chief complaints I see about DVDs in the "download scene" is yellow subtitles. Sure, some would find other things to complain about, but switching over to white subs might win over a some people and garner some more sales. And Media-Blasters used to use white subs, like in older releases such as Rayearth and Kenshin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1