• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help >.<. I do not know where to read mangas online.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessylici0us

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not very good at finding sites, and i can not find an online site that posts manga books.
Anyone recommend a good site?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
You do mean legal, right? Not scanlations? Because I'm guessing you didn't read the forum rules, you're only going to find legal sources on here, which basically consist of free samples off of Amazon or the publisher's page, or sites where you have to pay money to view.

You're not getting piracy here, and anyone that posts pirated links in this thread will be permanently banned. Am I understood? Don't make me regret letting this thread stay open.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
You do mean legal, right? Not scanlations? Because I'm guessing you didn't read the forum rules, you're only going to find legal sources on here, which basically consist of free samples off of Amazon or the publisher's page, or sites where you have to pay money to view.

You're not getting piracy here, and anyone that posts pirated links in this thread will be permanently banned. Am I understood? Don't make me regret letting this thread stay open.

What qualifies as pirated links or illegal downloads for manga? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or funny. I'm being serious. I honestly have no idea when it comes to online manga what's legit and what's not and I don't want to get a boot in my ass because I didn't know the difference in the sites while trying to help. I normally just go to Border's when I want manga so I have no clue which sites are legit or not for manga online.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Shojo beat and I think Tokyopop posts some of their manga online (I think Del Ray too) as an example. Check out the companies website and it should be around somewhere. Nagisa, I don't think jessylici0us was referring to scanlations, just sites that have manga on them, legally.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
What qualifies as pirated links or illegal downloads for manga?

If you don't see some sort of mark from the publisher, or you see "edited by SSJGOKU666@gmail" or "go to #CRAPPYSCANLATIONS on Rizon for more!" on it, odds are it's illegal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jessylici0us

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh noooooooo.
I totally meant legal.
I don't want to get into trouble >.<
Thanks for the feedback though.
NeoPaladinOfLight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, you could try Infinity Studios They post some of their manga, well actually manhwa ((korean comic)), so you can read. Of course its just a sample, but it's still something.
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
You can preview some of Go Comi's manga here: http://gocomi.com/index.php
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Not really manga, I guess, but a number of webcomics qualify as "Amerimanga" -- that is, Western-made comics in a manga style.

Of course, the most notable of these is Megatokyo. But for the shoujo fans out there, there is Red String, which does a fair job of pretending to be manga.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
What qualifies as pirated links or illegal downloads for manga?

If you don't see some sort of mark from the publisher, or you see "edited by SSJGOKU666@gmail" or "go to #CRAPPYSCANLATIONS on Rizon for more!" on it, odds are it's illegal.

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if maybe some places paid or were given rights to show the manga online in sort of like an attempt to get knowledge out of different series. There are rental sites? Sort of like a Netflix for online manga?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Netcomics has a bunch of manhwa, if you're into that ... I think they make you pay for later chapters but they have one of the best online reading systems available.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
gomanga.com has a lot from seven seas. try aoi house! Its comedy!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Not really manga, I guess, but a number of webcomics qualify as "Amerimanga" -- that is, Western-made comics in a manga style.

Of course, the most notable of these is Megatokyo. But for the shoujo fans out there, there is Red String, which does a fair job of pretending to be manga.

- abunai

I second that. Webcomics are perfectly legal, and some of them even have books for sale, and there are plenty of great quality.
Earthsong [http://www.earthsongsaga.com/index.html], Forced Alliance [http://www.forcedalliance.cjb.net/], El Goonish Shive [http://www.elgoonishshive.com/] and Dominic Deegan [http://www.dominic-deegan.com/] to name a few. They arent technically manga, but they are still quite good.

Of course, it is worth noting that since these are all done by amatuers, the quality of the art changes drasticly from the begining of the comics to the current ones. So for those that I linked, slog through the terrible art as you read through the archives, because the stuff they are pumping out now is superbe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Central Park Media's manga label also has some of their entire books (mostly one-shots and first volumes) on this website (it's run by them):
http://www.centralparkmedia.com/cpmpress/?CFID=47068&CFTOKEN=32626445
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1