• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clannad the movie.... wow...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
First off, I must admit, I liked it better than the series. But it was just... well, I'll just add one giant spoiler box Anime hyper I don't want to give away any hints^^

spoiler[ One of THE saddest anime I have EVER seen! The show was heart-wrentching at times, but the movie actually had me in tears! Just when the two found out they shared the same dreams and were meant to be together, Nagisa dies a year later when giving birth... And then Okazaki in his state of depression going to see his kid a year later. It was just... wow.

I think I enjoyed it more because this one didn't have all the extra character stories. Heck, Fuuko, which I consider to be one of the more pointless characters in the series, wasn't even in there. The focus was on Nagisa and Okazaki, with a couple of the former friends. Others like Ibuki sensei DID get a bigger part and well. And this time, besides their shared dream, there was no supernatural events (such as Fuuko's story) in the series, making it even more slice-of-life. ]

I just thought it was amazing Smile I'm a fan of Key's series. I loved both AIR TV and the movie (and actually preferred that movie was well, since I wasn't a fan of the crow bit in the show), both series of Kanon were quite good, and now even the Clannads add on, the movie especially Smile

If you happen to find the rare sub that it is out there, it's worth a look Smile Unfortunately, who knows when it will be licensed :/ Especially with ADV's current actions, so I hear.

Has anyone seen it yet though? Thoughts?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Argh, I refuse to watch this movie...

Basically, I really, really loved Clannad TV. That was a KyoAni production, and it showed... everything looked beautiful and it was great. The movie is a Toei Animation production.

Toei were responsible for Kanon 2002. There are some people who prefer this version, but I think the general consensus is that the KyoAni Kanon 2006 is the superior version... Not only in terms of production values, the fact it's over 26 episodes leaves much more time for character development, and as such the finale tends to pack more of an emotional punch, as we've had longer to connect with the characters.

It's the same with Clannad. The movie, from what I hear, goes into Afterstory territory... Dealing with the same story arc. As it stands, I'm going to wait fro KyoAni to do Afterstory and watch that, as I've a lot more confidence that they'll do a better job of it. This isn't to take away from Toei, who do a good job on most of their productions, but if I watch the movie it'll ruin the Afterstory series for me, I'm almost certain. The movie will give me what, 90 minutes or so to lose myself in, whilst the Afterstory will inevitably be longer, and I'm guessing, more involving.

That's my two cents. Guess I'm just a KyoAni fanboy at heart! Embarassed
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie while I was watching the TV series during its broadcast (some time in later February or early March), so my views on both are skewed towards the TV series. Regardless, if I was just basing my opinion on its conversion from the game only, I'd characterize my experience with it as just one big "meh".

There are two major problems that I personally had with the movie: the characters (or rather how they were changed) and the screenplay.

My major beef about the characters were that, besides Sunohara, their personalities were either changed completely or became hollow shells of their former selves. Probably the most obvious of these changes were in Tomoya and Nagisa, where the former was originally a somewhat troubled youth who would hide his emotional baggage with his slight playfulness (read: being a jerk) changing into pretty much a complete emo; the latter from a shy girl with self confidence issues to being WAY TOO DAMNED HAPPY ALL THE DAMNED TIME. Most of the characters' interactions with each other don't seem logical either, especially spoiler[Tomoya's confession to Nagisa, which can be summed up as "OMG we share the same dream. I love you!"]

Without going into too much detail, my problems with the screenplay involve the weird camera techniques and transitions (in particular the overuse of triple pans) and the flooding of moving objects onscreen (ie. sakura petals, flocks of seagulls, etc.)

I'm not saying that the movie was a complete waste to me. For example, I didn't mind the changes of the dream world, since they fit the overall tone and worked with the length of the movie. But overall the negatives just ruined most of the enjoyment for me and I can only call the movie mediocre at best, and definitely a disappointment for Key fans in general.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the AIR movie or the Toei version of Kanon, and I only bought this one because of the character designer, but I've not actually watched it yet (will probably do so after the last of the Clannad TV DVDs arrives with the OVA episode). I was annoyed to find out that there were two limited version of the movie and by the time I realised I'd ordered the "wrong" one (the other one had extras that I would have preferred) it was too late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
suchibu

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
i loved clannad the series, and personnaly for me i dont not consider the original movie to even exist. Clannad is one of my most favorite serries and after watching the movie i was depressed for days. but hey to each there own Smile i like happy endings for characters i grow fond of, others may not.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I wish I hadn't watched the movie because now I know what's going to happen in After Story. I thought it was just going to be a retelling of the TV series.
The one good thing about the movie is they showed what happened between Tomoya and his father in a little more detail than they did in the TV series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the movie as well, aside from a few things that annoyed me. I usually don't enjoy depression but spoiler[it helped that Nagisa's death was earlier on in the film and the story then moved on and focused on his friends trying to cheer him out of his depression and more importantly tried to get him to go take some responsibillity and see his kid.] I really loved the last scene where he spoiler[held his daughter for first time and saw the vision of his dead wife smilling at them. That was really heartwarming.] I haven't seen the series though.

As for previous Key works I've seen Air: The Movie which I didn't really care for and Kanon (2006) which ranks as one of my favorite series of all time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
suchibu wrote:
i loved clannad the series, and personnaly for me i don't not consider the original movie to even exist.

The game is the original version. The movie and the TV series were announced a month apart and brought out essentially side-by-side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I was annoyed to find out that there were two limited version of the movie and by the time I realised I'd ordered the "wrong" one (the other one had extras that I would have preferred) it was too late.

Are you referring to "first press" vs "collector's edition"?? Both are limited editions, and both have extras, but I think they may have different extras. Which one did you get?

There is on cdjapan.co.jp

[Theatrical Feature] CLANNAD DVD [Limited Edition]
[Theatrical Feature] CLANNAD DVD Collector's Edition [DVD+CD]

The limited edition is the first press. That's the one I got. It also has a CD. I hope I got the good edition...
both are still listed as in stock.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I ordered it from Yes Asia, and you cannot cancel an order once it is placed, I asked to switch my order to the other one but they were out of stock. The one I have comes with a drama CD if memory serves, which is of little use to me.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
I wish I hadn't watched the movie because now I know what's going to happen in After Story.

Well, maybe not. You never know until it comes out. To me, it looked more like spoiler[ a telling of some of the adventures in the couple dating, rather than have an ep where Nagisa drops dead :/ ]
gibbage

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think Clannad TV was one of the best series I have ever seen, other then Kanon. I tried to watch the movie, but I could not! Clannad had a nice blend of sad and happy moments to keep you entertained. No real slow parts. The entire first 30 mins of the movie was just so painfully slow, with no comic relief. I also LOVED the video game references and the pratical jokes Tomoya played on everyone (Straw up the nose, and the gender changing was the BEST when Fuko would space out about starfish!). When I speak of this series, I tell people its the only cartoon that has made me cry and laugh all within a 5 min span. The movie just bored me. Maybe its because it was like a very boring and condensed version of the TV series I already watched.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
The movie just bored me. Maybe its because it was like a very boring and condensed version of the TV series I already watched.

Think of the movie and the series as two COMPLETELY separate entities here. We can break Clannad down into two main story arcs: Clannad and Afterstory.

KyoAni are dealing with these arcs separately, and giving them a series each. Toei have tried to deal with both arcs within one movie. I genuinely believe it would be a more rewarding experience for people who have watched the series and enjoyed it to WAIT for the Afterstory series to come out. The movie is like a compressed version of the two, and if you've seen the series then the first half, as you said, will be a boring rehash, and the second half will take you some way into the Afterstory. On a pure aesthetic level too, if you loved the way Clannad TV looked, you'll be disappointed by the movie style.

As I've already mentioned, Toei did this with Kanon too.. took the same source material as KyoAni but decided to go with half as many episodes. I can't say for certain, but if key were completely happy with the job done by Toei they wouldn't have licensed KyoAni to do Kanon 2006, which is now regarded by most as the definitive version.

I think Key have more faith in KyoAni, and I'm leaning that way also.
gibbage

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
As I said above, I only got 30-45 min into the movie, and it was going down the movie club story arc that I had already watched through the series. I didn't see much difference other then a lot less humor, and the humor was one of the key things I liked about the series, so I dropped it. Im not at all saying it was a bad movie. A lot of people like drama over humor. Im just saying that I didn't like it, and I felt that I had already watched a version that was more suited to my taste. Also, I heard the ending was very sad on the movie. Crying or Very sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
No, it actually ends on a nice happy note after it puts your heart through the wringer a little over halfway in that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2