• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GenCon Indy 2007

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
While it's mainly a gaming convention, I'm curious to see if any ANN members are planning to attend GenCon Indy this year. They've continued to step up the anime and manga related activities, so I'm pleased as punch to be going. I'm also surprised and excited that apparently Funimation is planning an industry panel there. It's the only anime company I noticed that would be there for a panel, but still, how cool is that?

I'm also rather interested in the Manga Library that will be available, and a lot of cool anime series as well as animated-related live action films being screened. Viz Pictures is sponsoring a showing of the NANA movie, and you better believe I'll be there. I'm also hoping to attend the Black & White dance on Saturday night.

So, anyone else planning to attend? Any certain events you're going to, etc?
TuRoRo!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I am planning on going to Gen con on the 18th and 19th. I am interested to see if the anime and manga are a step above last year since funimation is going to be there.
You might see me and my friends two of us are going as ninjas and we will be coming with another friend of mine who will be dressed as either ramen or other japanese food candy.
Its one of my first conventions so im pretty excited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Buyers beware: Bootlegs are RIFE at GenCon. There is a booth that's selling anime/J-pop CDs. Do not buy them, they are all pirated. Every single one of them are from "Miya Records."

Elsewhere, there are plenty of bootlegs gently mixed with overpriced legit DVDs. One booth, has bootlegged Paprika DVDs displayed prominently. Um, yeah, not legit. I gave them a death glare when I was looking at an (illegal) Cardcaptor Sakura dvd and the guy running it happily proclaimed "That's got both movies on 1 disc!" I responded evenly, "Yeah, I don't trust anything in your booth," and walked off. I was highly tempted to throw it at him, but I'm a good girl.

There was a booth with only legit stuff (I'm guessing it was Anime Depot's booth), but, um, it's cheaper at Best Buy. Maybe on Sunday it'd be worth checking out, but not yet.

Oh, and if anyone wants an overall opinion on the con, here's mine: if you didn't already get a badge and were only going for the anime/manga-related stuff, save yourself a lot of money and don't go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1