• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anyone else think that Haruhi is kind of like an otaku?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
If a mod feels that this thread should be moved into the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya master thread, I won't mind. That thread has other discussions currently going on in it though and it's bloated, so I thought making a separate temporary thread for a specific, but casual discussion might be better.

With the recent official USA release of Haruhi, hopefully more people (like me) got to see this show now and can talk about it, at least the first 3-4 episodes.

Although it's obvious that Haruhi is not a hardcore otaku in the mainstream sense, and I've never even seen her admit to watching TV before, could she secretly be an anime fan when she goes home? She has some otaku-like traits, the main difference being that she never discusses anime shows directly, like a normal anime-fan might (or even admits to watching anime). Rather, she tries to act out her fantasies in real life.

Otaku-ish things Haruhi does: 1) Likes to dress up in the typical fetish-costumes. Bunny Girl, maid, etc. Likes to dress other girls up, too. 2) Wants to play with aliens and time-travelers....I assume she came up with these ideas by watching television shows of some kind. 3) Demonstrated for a split second that she possesses a certain type of magazine, which I assume might be sort of like anime or H-game magazines (I'm not sure cause I never read such magazines) 4) for some reason likes to make videos and wants to be a director or something 5) stays by herself, a semi-loner when she cannot find other people who are weird like her...fortunately for us the show exists because she either found a few weird people like her or she really does have super powers and created a few weird people to play with (which I don't know if it's true or not since I've only seen a few episodes so far).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
I think she certainly has the traits to be an otaku. She's compulssive, when she has her mind set on something she's going to get done, she's going to see it through all the way to the end. But if you don't know how to use a computer like build your own site and stuff, then that might set her back, especially when she can't manipulate the powers of the internet.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
IIRC the magazines were Comptiq and the characters on the front were from Shuffle!

I think Haruhi is more tied to the bishoujo game world than anything else if she's even an otaku at all. Comptiq tries to tie Haruhi and Konata every last chance they get, so maybe...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Good question, Porcupine. Of course Haruhi shows some traits of a typical otaku and since we are talking about a Japanese person there's a lot more leeway in conforming to the definition of otaku. But in order to be an otaku there's really something in particular that one needs to be focused on (not necessarily anime or manga). There's really nothing I can think of that Haruhi was focused on, other than weird people. She really is more of the spontaneous, random type (ie going from club to club and then quitting after a day).

There's one Melancholy character who also kinda fits otaku stereotype (I'm not sure if she appears in the first 4 eps though), and that is the uber friendly Tsuruya-san.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
If you mean being rude, self-absorbed, completely inconsiderate of other people's feelings, obsessed about trivial things, and acting like a big shot on the Internet despite barely having the skills to code a website from scratch, then yes, I would suppose Haruhi is quite the otaku.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
frentymon, what is Konata?

I like Tsuruya, she looks nice. She's the only one who rivals Haruhi in the looks department in this show, to me. But I don't know a thing about her. In the first DVD, she only appeared for a couple of seconds and all she did both times was laugh. But she looks nice, hope she appears more often.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
frentymon, what is Konata?

Konata Izumi is the main character in the latest Kyoto Animation (of FMP, Air, and Haruhi fame) show of the new season that everyone is buzzing about, Lucky Star. She's not all that similar to Haruhi, but she does share a few traits in common: Both voiced by Aya Hirano, both around the same age, both have a great fondness of moe, both have the tendency to ramble on and on sometimes, and both considered by many of their peers to be...abnormal.

Konata is a mega-otaku too.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Konata Izumi is the main character in the latest Kyoto Animation (of FMP, Air, and Haruhi fame) show of the new season that everyone is buzzing about, Lucky Star. She's not all that similar to Haruhi, but she does share a few traits in common: Both voiced by Aya Hirano, both around the same age, both have a great fondness of moe, both have the tendency to ramble on and on sometimes, and both considered by many of their peers to be...abnormal.

Konata is a mega-otaku too.

And I like Konata-kun much better than Haruhi. The reason I use "kun" is because Konata is definitely a tomboy. She also has a way of showing she knows a lot without coming off as a know-it-all. Very cute.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, her. I have some gashapon toys of her but I didn't know her name. Smile

I bought a lot of the Lucky Star gashapons when they first came out a year or two ago, even though I didn't know what Lucky Star was, or even what the name of the series which was printed on the box was (it said Lucky Star but I thought "Lucky Star what is that, is that really the name of an anime I've never heard of it before, maybe it's just the name of the toy company or something"). I bought purely by the appearance of the toys. I'm hoping Lucky Star will be great too, especially since it is by Kyoto Animation.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Uhh - so obsessed with aliens, ESPers, and time travelers that she can make them appear out of thin air, breaking all laws of physics and rationality just by wishing it? I'd say she's one BIG otaku. In fact, I bet all the otaku in the world would just LOVE to have her "powers".

/Another "what kind of anime power would you want most?" thread?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
If you mean being rude, self-absorbed, completely inconsiderate of other people's feelings, obsessed about trivial things, and acting like a big shot on the Internet despite barely having the skills to code a website from scratch, then yes, I would suppose Haruhi is quite the otaku.

That's not a description of an otaku, that is the description for a 4channer Wink
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Patachu wrote:

That's not a description of an otaku, that is the description for a 4channer Wink

All them Japan-o-mation fans look the same to me. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1