• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstance (Kare Kano) maturity level question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimbim18

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I havn't seen this one yet but I happen to have a copy laying around. My daughter saw the case and has been begging me NON-Stop ever since to get her a copy. Do you think this series is appropriate for a 12 year old? not, why not?

My wife and I have watched fruits basket, chobits, love hina/love hina again, etc with her but of course I'm always wary of just handing her a series that I havn't seen yet (there has been many that she has begged to see and my reply had to be "........ maybe in about 4-5 years"
zaphdash

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
It's a fairly honest look at high school relationships. There's the occasional bad language (but it's never too bad), some extremely cartoonish violence for comedic effect here and there, and of course the big thing is a sex scene near the end of the show. The scene is pretty artfully done, though; it doesn't show anything explicit. I actually haven't seen the one on DVD, but I understand it's different from what aired on Japanese TV (which I'm pretty sure is the version I saw in whatever fansub I watched many years back), so I guess someone who's actually watched it will have to tell you what it looks like on the DVD release, but from what I understand it's not explicit at all and you're basically just left to infer what happened from vague imagery.

I would have to say if you let her watch Love Hina, Kare Kano is probably fine, unless you're extremely uncomfortable with even the mere concept of sex existing in her mind (but if she's 12, she probably already has a pretty strong understanding of it anyway...). Except for that one scene, there's nothing in Kare Kano that might potentially be less appropriate than anything in Love Hina. In fact, Kare Kano is probably an all around much more appropriate show for her to watch, as it has characters roughly in her age range (a few years older) engaged in a caring and loving relationship, as opposed to the stupid harem comedy of Love Hina. If she wants to watch it, it should be safe -- maybe you just want to watch the sex scene yourself ahead of time to make sure you're comfortable with it (I believe it was in episode 19, but I could be mistaken). Shouldn't be a problem, though.
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
I was writing a post and having problems explaining it, and then zaphdash posted and saved me the trouble. I agree with what he said except everytime he wrote "Love Hina" add "and Chobits." Some of the implied sexual content in Chobits is pretty out there and far away from the few scenes in Kare Kano. Chi taking her clothes off at a peep show and being told to touch herself is far and above the stuff in Kare Kano. If the question was different I probably would have said that Chobits would be one of those shows to wait until a few years later.

I think a show like Kare Kano is actually a pretty good show for an early teen to watch. I haven't watched in a while either, but I do recall thinking it was a bit refreshing at the time while watching it, and I also recall liking the heck out of the show too. Don't get me wrong, I love Love Hina and Chobits but Kare Kano is quite different all around. Still fun and often zany but it also occasionally delves into some more realistic situations.

Last edited by undeadben on Tue May 29, 2007 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bimbim18

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
yeah I had to fast forward that part in chobits (although I think I did catch her trying to see what I fast-forwarded one day, not that I am trying to hide things from her but it's not her time yet. I have a stack of anime that she is not to touch in my office, some of it of course includes ones I will only let her watch certain parts of while I am in the room of couse)

I'll just go ahead and whatch it while I'm at work to see those scenes then, I was hoping to not hand her an already opened package but she understands these things.

Thanks for the warnings guys Smile
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I for one agree with Zapdash's assessment and think that Kare Kano is a but more appropriate than Chobits and Love Hina. If nothing else it is done a bit more realistically tastefully than the harem genre shows. The show seems to be aimed a little more towards teenaged girls compared to the other two shows which always felt targeted for the male just out of high school crowd. Oddly enough I found this series more enjoyable (I'm in my 30s) than the other two shows that you have listed. I hope the whole family will enjoy this one.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know there was a sex scene in Kare Kano. They were showing it on TV here for quite some time on Funimation Channel, but they never got up to that episode before it either reran or something replaced it. Maybe that's the reason why, I dunno....

Wow, Chobits has something like that? I would never have suspected from just looking at the box (I have no idea what the show is about).

I dunno about saying Kare Kano is "safer" than Love Hina. Love Hina may have a ton of the typical silly "Oh no where are my clothes. Damn you for peeping Keitaro! *Punch*" scenes, but as far as I know no serious sex scenes. To me that'd be worse. But that's just me.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano is really clean...even by my standards. And by my standers, I mean like i wouldn't even watch love Hinda and I don't watch most Yuri or Yichi (or how ever you say it).
Kare Kano goes into the 'real' feelings of an in-love teen much better than say School rumble, but that would probably be right up your daughters ally considering her age.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If it were me, I wouldn't let a 12 year old girl watch KareKano without my supervision. For the most part, it is clean, but it also is the realistic nature of the story that makes me have second thoughts. While Chobits and Love Hina are both more "dirty" in comparison (I also consider them inappropriate for 12 year old girls), the less appropriate scenes can easily be taken as exaggeration. In the case of KareKano, it can give ideas of "sex during high school" is ok.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
In the case of KareKano, it can give ideas of "sex during high school" is ok.

And it is. Nothing wrong with it. What isn't okay is teenagers having unprotected sex, with all sorts of long-term consequences, ranging from mildly troublesome to life-threatening. A major contributor to this high-risk behaviour is the kind of upbringing that refuses to acknowledge that sex is natural and good, and is going to happen whether the parents like it or not ... and when it does, the children are better off having been educated in preparation for it.

(I'm opening up a can of worms, I know, and I'm expecting multiple outraged responses from constipated Americans here, but the truth had to be spoken.)

Getting back on topic: KareKano is an at-times funny and lighthearted, at times deep and serious, look at the growing relationship of two teens who were quite clearly meant for each other (if there is such a thing as destiny). There's a lot of material from the manga that never made it into the anime -- and even so, the anime can be pretty heavy in spots.

There is a sex scene, yes, but it is tastefully done and doesn't show much. It's an emotionally powerful scene, however, and it will leave a lasting impression.

On another level, the series does have another element that you might want to be aware of as the parent of a teen girl. Arima Souichiro, the male lead, is a boy with a horrible and dark past. It's fair to say that his is a tortured existence, up until the moment when he finds love (and even intermittently thereafter). He has a strong impact on female viewers, so I am told. So you'd better be prepared to deal with your daughter developing a crush on him. Just a thought.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
(I'm opening up a can of worms, I know, and I'm expecting multiple outraged responses from constipated Americans here, but the truth had to be spoken.)

I think that's a little harsh. Most parents these days probably realize that in this age of highly accurate (though still not 100% foolproof) birth control it's unlikely that their kids are going to wait until marriage anymore, but they are still hoping that their kids will at least wait until legal age. Alot of people think it should be a special experience only shared with one's life partner, and parents are saddened when they find out their kids have done the deed while underage because while it does happen, the statistic for marrying one's high school boyfriend/girlfriend - let alone the marriage succeeding - are fairly low. They want their kids to have more life experience first so that their personalities have stabilized and their first sex partner is more likely to be the one who becomes their spouse.

Does that make sense? I've tried to speak rationally and eloquently for the prudes of the world. Very Happy
Moros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
arkady

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Stupidman007 wrote:

And it is. Nothing wrong with it. What isn't okay is teenagers having unprotected sex, with all sorts of long-term consequences, ranging from mildly troublesome to life-threatening. A major contributor to this high-risk behaviour is the kind of upbringing that refuses to acknowledge that sex is natural and good, and is going to happen whether the parents like it or not ... and when it does, the children are better off having been educated in preparation for it.

You won't get any outrage from me; I agree with you. And although I'm American, I'm not constipated.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
And it is. Nothing wrong with it. What isn't okay is teenagers having unprotected sex, with all sorts of long-term consequences, ranging from mildly troublesome to life-threatening.

The thing that struck me by this statement was that in the manga there WERE some long-term consequences to that scene.
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
I don't think it would be a good idea to let a 12 year old watch it. Sad
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Stupidman007 wrote:

Amen.

As for Kare Kano, I've only seen the first 16 episodes. In those, at least, I don't think there is anything inappropriate for a 12 year old. Lol, and I'm fairly uptight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2