• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime comparisons thread

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickofsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
There are alot of anime that stack up really close to each other. I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where we can see other peoples opinions on one anime vs. another.

The first person chooses two animes that they would like to see the next person review/evaluate.

The person who responds first can in turn add another set of two animes, etc, etc.

I'll start:

Last Exile or Haibane Renmei
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
What? How exactly are we reviewing these? How are we stacking them against each other? Like by same genre or similar story lines or same creators or what? I hope it's not just by howmuch we like them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
nickofsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
just say which one you personally thought was better and why.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
That's the problem though, I can't say which of those two are better since both are incredible. You're going to have to give specifics on how we should do this, otherwise every "review" would have different qualities too it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
This thread is an interesting idea, but just as a word of advice it will probably get locked unless the opening post is edited a bit. One of the rules that is pretty strongly enforced is that the opening post of a thread has to be well thought out and have sufficient content to get the ball rolling.

nickofsatan, why not start out the process by evaluating 2 anime for us yourself? Then we will have a great starting post and also an example of what you have in mind for the rest of us to do. I don't think things are going to get too far unless you do that.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
What Rusty said, if you don't tell us how to do it, do it yourself so we can see how it's done.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote
How are we supposed to determine which shows "stack up" to each other? To me this seems like an attempt at a listing thread mixed with reviews, which we have places for here already. While an interesting idea, as already mentioned it needs some work. In the mean time, if you want reviews or people's opinions of anime either check reviews on the site or go here;

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11273&start=840[/url]
Moros

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
Don't be harsh, you guys. Be nice. It's a good idea, just needed to think of two closer Anime to evaluate. How about two works from the same director? Kare Kano and Eva would be an interesting one.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Don't be harsh, you guys. Be nice. It's a good idea, just needed to think of two closer Anime to evaluate. How about two works from the same director? Kare Kano and Eva would be an interesting one.

Or maybe Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop.

Anyway, the opening post does need editing. I get it, but not completely. Plus I think another rule that this thread broke is that the thread starter didn't participate himself. That's why we don't know how it's done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Best of all, how do you know that the next poster has actually seen the two anime series you want reviewed?
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I get the idea but I don't get the point. What is the purpose of it? I mean comparing anime is fine but those types of comparisons can have their own threads, no? I've seen people post them, comparisons to Eva, comparisons to Gundam, comparisons between Harem anime, etc. Why do people need to have 2 anime compared, and why? What's the point of someone saying, "Mushishi and Kino's Journey" and me writing up reviews and comparisons? What would be my motivation to do that? I already know the comparisons it doesn't benefit me to post them just because someone posts those two titles. If I wanted to compare the two I'd open a thread for it. Or if someone opened and interesting enough thread about it, I might take part, because then it is a discussion.

So what is the purpose of this activity? if I know that maybe I'll be interested.

fighterholic wrote:
Best of all, how do you know that the next poster has actually seen the two anime series you want reviewed?

Or what if someone names two that no one else has seen both. I could say something like "Digital Juice and Memory," and maybe only 5 other people who are active in the forums would actually have seen them both besides me. And not only does it narrow down the odds of someone knowing the anime and potentially being able to answer, but what if none of those five want to answer in this thread because they don't see the point?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, all we're doing is arguing about how the thread might work and what might go wrong and no one is actually even trying to see if it could work. If you think the thread is a poor one then report it, don't drag it down in to a pointless debate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1