• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Onegai Twins OAV

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time and Space

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Having watched the quality series of Onegai Twins, I was left wondering how the close relationship between the three main characters would evolve, or indeed survive. I was therefore looking forward to watching the Onegai Twins OAV, which in my view had the potential to be more meaningful than some other disappointing OAVs I have seen so far, which often act as little more than a bit of fun to see how our beloved characters have been doing since we last saw them.

[If you haven't seen Onegai Twins or the OAV, it may be in your best interest not to read on]
[SPOILER]

This OAV is actually far more heart wrenching than the entire series of Onegai Twins, not deliberately I might add. The OAV seeks to impress upon the viewer that Karen, despite being the relative of Maiku, would somehow have a relationship that is equal to the one Maiku will have with Miina, one which will inevitably become more intimate; they admit that they will become lovers. So then, when Miina and Maiku are in the tent about to create ‘memories’, but are abruptly interrupted by Karen, the pair proceed to argue that she will be as important, a claim that was entirely unbelievable. Maiku suggests there is more than one important thing in the world, but these can be prioritised, one over another. The speech by Maiku and Miina felt like an enormous lie, something practiced between the two. A relationship with a sister is most definitely not the same as one with a lover. Karen will begin to be ignored as the relationship between Maiku and Miina becomes more exclusive. Going to the cinema alone, spending the night in Maiku’s room, getting married, finding a house, raising children. At best, Karen would become a maid to the growing family of Maiku and Miina. I want to believe that I am wrong, but quite simply, I can't.

Certainly this is only an animated show and perhaps to speculate the future interaction between the three is going to far, I should just accept what the writers tell me, but nevertheless, I can’t help feeling fate has been cruel to poor Karen. The OAV should have been used to show us that Karen had overcome her infatuation with Maiku, and had maybe become intrigued by a new character that returned her interest. The ending would have been a happy one and I could have slept soundly at night, shedding not one tear. Confused

What are your views of the OAV? Did it adequately persuade us that Karen will not become of lesser importance to Maiku in the future? Or perhaps there is another important point you’d like to make about the OAV which you'd like to discuss?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
I think one of the main points about this series is the strength of the bond between Karen and Miina. The series really developed the fact that these two had much in common and were in fact more like siblings than Maiku was to either of them. I think that this bond is something that will last a lifetime.

There is also the fact that lovers might not always remain so, but siblings are eternal. This might not be as apparent when you are younger, but as you go through a number of relationships you can always count on your family to be there In this regards spoiler[Karen will be an important figure for the rest of Maiku's life, but who knows what the future has in store for Miina. ]
Time and Space

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
The bond between Miina and Karen was more of a sibling like bond than that between the girls and Maiku, mainly because the girls were in love with Maiku in a non-sibling sense. Maiku however treated both girls as if they were his siblings. The reason each of the characters were afraid (but also eager) to find out which of the girls was Maiku's relative was because of how such knowledge was likely to change the relationship. There was always an ambivalent desire to be both the relative or the stranger. The relative comes off worse.

[SPOILER]

In any other situation, I might have agreed that a sibling is forever but a lover isn't. But Miina and Karen met Maiku later in their life, the relationship is younger and so the strong family ties that one forms right from an early age don't exist. In reality then(well, the reality of the Onegai Twin world), Miina and Karen's relationship with maiku began from the same foundations and was equal, yet only Miina has the opportunity to take her relationship with Maiku to the 'next level', which is what Karen initially wished, but she will have to be content with status of friend. A status which can just as easily be broken as status of lover. Whether Karen still loves Maiku as a man or just a sibling, and however this affects her relationship with him, she will likely always be second to Miina. Unless we know for definite that Karen's infatuation with maiku no longer exists, then we can only mourn for her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1