• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gintama: Worth Watching?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I recently borrowed an issue of Shonen Jump from my friend, just to read some manga because I was bored. I started reading a chapter of Gintama. It has a unique concept and it looks like it has an interesting plotline, but I dont really like reading long manga series. I just looked and found out theres an anime for it, from anyone that has scene it, is it a fun series to watch?
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
I have never seen the anime but read the manga and I liked it and would be interested in watching the anime if it ever came out here. Since it is a shonen type manga then the anime will follow almost the same as the manga like with One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc so if you liked the manga you should like the anime.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
ThatMatt wrote:
I just looked and found out theres an anime for it, from anyone that has scene it, is it a fun series to watch?

For a Shounen Jump title, it hasn't really been popular at all with US audiences (even in fansubs, it's not terribly popular). Personally, I enjoyed it more than most Shounen Jump titles I've seen. But that's probably because it's mainly comedy... and filled with parodies as well (a lot of shounen genre parodies). It honestly isn't the funniest comedy I've seen, but it's worth a shot if you like that kind of stuff... And if you liked the manga, that's usually a dead giveaway you'll like the anime.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'll 'fess up that I've watched about 5-6 episodes of the show (if you count the first show as two episodes in one). Haven't seen or read the manga and it wouldn't be a title I'd go out of my way to track down. The anime is funny...well sort of. Actually, the point where the character named "Ketsuno Ana" pops up is where I generated my own label of "Anime fart joke" and slapped it on the show. It may have been in this forum where I said I found it hard to imagine any woman would've agreed to voice a character with a name like that (let's just say the name is a bad pun). For me the show was a cheap laugh that eventually slipped off my "To view" list quite easily. The parody elements and self-irreverent comic attitude the show encompasses are done decently enough but they're done at the level of the smart-ass kid everyone knew in junior high school. Anyways... That's just my assessment of the show.

ps: I did like the OP tune enough to pre-order and purchase the Tommy Heavenly6 album though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1