• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster (TV) : Unfolding the mystery of the twins name

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
absint3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
So, i guess everyone who will read this is at least as curious as me about the name of the twins Johan and Anna in Monster. To every people who share this curiousity heres my guess : spoiler[ i came to that conclusion at ep 66 and have been thereafter confirmed around 70 when we learn that Franz Bonaparta isnt the real name of Poppe. Seing where im going? eh. When i saw 66 i thouhgt that the person Franz Bonaparta never existed or at least not under that name and i was right. And so here is my conclusion the twins name is respectivly Franz for Johan and Bonaparta for Anna. Bonaparta may sound really weird for a name but remember that its german. So i hope people will respond to this and give their thought about that mystery.] And did anyone came to the same conclusion?

o and i also forgot to add that since he loved those child thats why he took their name and made one for himself

[[EDIT: Please use the Edit button if you have something to add to your post next time. And please remember to use spoiler tags, since not everyone has seen all of Monster yet. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
If you have a lot of time on your hands to do some heavy reading, I suggest you take a look at this thread. Some may say it's a little too in depth, but it's by far the longest and most detailed chronology I've ever seen of Monster. This post in particular talks a little about the origin of Johan's name.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Actually, I could just vaguely summarize some important key elements for you (especially considering that I really change my line of thought a lot in that thing I wrote over 6 months ago given that I ran into some major revelations while re-watching the show in detail… even I get lost while reading through it… yeah… it’s really better if people just shoot me some questions and I’ll try my best to come up with a clear answer backed-up with a bunch of evidence…).

Okay…

spoiler[Actually, looking back on it, the mother of the twins (whose name is actually Anna, which is actually a very important thing to take note of) did originally give Johan and Nina names (behind Poppe’s back), but by the end of the series, it’s sort of made irrelevant as to what their true names actually were (but Anna decides to tell Tenma in the end anyway).

During the final sequence, just when Tenma is about to reveal what Johan’s name is, Tenma has a vivid realization and finally understands the reason why Johan always thought he never had a name: Johan wanted to FORGET ever having one given that it was the only way he could convince himself that there was some kind of possibility that his mom wasn’t trying to use him to get rid of Bonaparta/Poppe, a mindset of which that would pretty much confirm his existence as a true Monster (even in the eyes of his mother).

Think about it like this:

As confirmed by Anna in the ending, she did indeed give Johan and Nina names...

Now... during that one moment where she was overtaken by anger, why did she not use those names?

And given the extreme change in her behavior (from "don't you dare touch these children" to "take THIS one"), it's safe to say that she pretty much wanted to use one of the kids to get rid of Poppe for her...

That said... who was the Monster in the series? Johan or Nina?

Also... if Johan was the one you wanted to send... would you actually call out his name?

Or would you go: "Take Child A"?

Seriously... you'll pretty much imply 2 things:

-You actually had a specific choice in mind
-You're a terrible person for even having a specific choice to begin with

Yeah... it sorta works out like that using all my theories... little abstract though...

Anyway, as for Franz Bonaparta… I’m pretty sure that that’s just some fancy name he came up with when he was working out at the Rose Mansion… also… I’m pretty sure he was using this name long before the twins were born.]

But then… I can’t remember anymore, to be honest… I wish the manga would catch up already so I would have some reference materials to work off of (had to delete the fansubs since they were messing up my computer).

OH! Talking about that... the ending would probably be a lot more complicated to figure out in the manga given that there wasn't any voice-acting... you literally have to bridge the logic using all the evidence to know which one was actually let go of.
absint3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well i did took a long time to reply to this wich is due to the fact that i recently changed of computer. And it gave me a lot of trouble. So well thanks to TK for the advice about the spoiler tag wich i didn't think of. And i especialy hate spoilers so im sorry for anyone who saw the spoil Embarassed . thanks to DKL for his advice and the amazing work he've done on monster. That must have took a crazy amount of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1