• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranking/Point System

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I was thinking of an idea after watching my friend play World of Warcraft. In his guild, he you points depending on how well you do in the guild (how often you do quests with the guild etc.) and whenever a really good item drops you can spend your points to get it. But now to the point.

I'm sure it would be a lot of work to do but I think we should implement a point system here at ANN. What does this mean you ask? Well, depending on your rank/points you could have access to better things (such as contests) that people with lesser ranks and points do not have access. How do you get points? Well, posting mainly but other things can be implemented.

I really like this idea because then people who have been faithful to ANN and have been here much longer can get rewards of sorts and get better opportunities then someone who has say 5 posts.

I mainly made this because I just entered the Inuyasha/DS contest and will be damned if someone with 5 posts wins it over someone with over 1000. Not that I have over 1000 but thats just an example Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yea well the problem with that is it would divide the members. It would make everyone feel they have to be better then the next person. There's already enough complaints about members acting like elitists. That some members thinki you're special once you hit the 1000 post mark and what not. Plus, a person's opinion who has 5 posts is just as valid as one with 1000. The number of posts doesn't mean you should be entitled to anything special beyond your own self gratification. While an interesting idea I think it would utterly fail and cause massive amount of problems between members. Problems I'm sure the mods want to avoid. plus it's not fair to say someone who's been here longer is entitled to something special over the guy that just signed up today. That new guy could day take over for Tempest for all we know. I can see where you're coming from but I think that idea is just a pot of problems waiting to boil over.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'll move this to Bugs & Technical as it somehow relates to the website...however, I do so while fighting the instinct to lock.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
x_Hisoka_x wrote:
I'm sure it would be a lot of work to do but I think we should implement a point system here at ANN.

I don't think it's a good idea, because a ranking system encourages more posting, and when people simply want to post more they make bad posts just to raise their post count, which means more one-liners, backseat moderating, spam, etc.

Quote:
I really like this idea because then people who have been faithful to ANN and have been here much longer can get rewards of sorts and get better opportunities then someone who has say 5 posts.

In contests you should win because you're either (1) Lucky, (2) Skilled, (3) Both, not because you've been with ANN a long time or whatever. An elitist system like that would just discourage people and cause the rift between newer users and veterans to widen even further.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think such a gimmick would be productive on a professional site like ANN. It could work on a forum that encourages posting on general topics or completely pointless, unintelligent posting, but not here.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
x_Hisoka_x wrote:
I'm sure it would be a lot of work to do but I think we should implement a point system here at ANN. What does this mean you ask? Well, depending on your rank/points you could have access to better things (such as contests) that people with lesser ranks and points do not have access. How do you get points? Well, posting mainly but other things can be implemented.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=356125#356125
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
No. All this would do is breed mindless elitism. I have no interest in coming up with special contests or prizes or "rewards" for people for just posting on a message board.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
No. All this would do is breed mindless elitism. I have no interest in coming up with special contests or prizes or "rewards" for people for just posting on a message board.
Well, that settles it, I'd say.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1