• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
I loved this series and it's breathtaking pastelness, the voice work was impeccable and OP and ED fantastic, with a shout out for that OP, my favorite so far this year. I laughed my head off throughout all 12 episodes, the comedic timing was pinpoint and hit my sweet spots every single time, (I hope Mira had stock in the company that made his glasses). I agree about Cocoa, it's a shame she wasn't able to see how well this series was made and we won't get closure. But in my mind, I see Mira and Byakuya hooking up proper and Mira rescuing her from her dire straits somehow. This series was my medicine from all thing negative this summer and wished there was more. Sigh....
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I was also totally won over by this series (except for the other magical girl, who is responsible for all of the series' weakest points). Despite that, I do have to agree that the half-length episodes felt right. Maybe that was necessitated by the limited amount of source material the production team had to draw from, but even if it wasn't, this is content that works best in short form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This was such a sincerely sweet, cute, and fun series.

I only wish there could be more and that Cocoa Fujiwara had lived to continue the series, but I think Cocoa would be extremely happy with the level of effort and love Bones poured into this series like Mira and Byakuya did for each other.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This was a very sweet story and quite beautiful very often.
texnixmir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
One other thing that I thought was very sweet was that Mai Nakahara and Yuuki Ono are both reprising their roles from the drama CD, which I think was produced under Fujiwara's direction
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I’m still a bit sad that Inu x Boku S.S didn’t get a second series. I really enjoyed the series and the manga story takes a really interesting swerve after where the anime got to. My understanding is that the first season sold well so not sure why it never happened.
FishLion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:36 am Reply with quote
Loved this one a lot, I really appreciate Bones making such a beautiful animation in twelve little episodes
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:50 am Reply with quote
I am not into romcoms usually but this was so pretty and the characters so adorable* that I watched non-stop.

Pity it'd never end. Crying or Very sad

* except the magic girl's familiars.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
So nobody is going to address the elephant in the room? Ok I'll bite.. The age gap is creepy. REALLY creepy. She is what Middle school age at best? Hard to guess his age, probably early 20s. There are some scenes that make her look even younger, and others where she appears older. Between the hostess bar scene (seriously?) and the fan service about her breast size its rather uncomfortable when you get down to the brass tacks. Let me guess she is an immortal Loli? nah pass on this.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought she was older, out of high school. She'd have to at least be out of middle school, because that's compulsory education in Japan and we never see her going to school - just wearing her old gym clothes. The amount she works also lead me to believe that she was older.

(And her being in high school would still be creepy; I just really thought she was at least 18.)
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I honestly thought she was older, out of high school. She'd have to at least be out of middle school, because that's compulsory education in Japan and we never see her going to school - just wearing her old gym clothes. The amount she works also lead me to believe that she was older.

(And her being in high school would still be creepy; I just really thought she was at least 18.)

If I recall correctly, Hibana is in high school and Byakuya was her classmate back when they were in middle school. High school isn't compulsory in Japan, so Byakuya doesn't attend. So, Byakuya is a minor or barely 18, but I don't think Hibana was established to be a senior, so...

Those old gym clothes were probably from middle school since Byakuya lists it immediately after her middle school uniform when listing what clothes she owns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1