• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metaphor: ReFantazio Game Review

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
Interesting, this has gone from being a "definite pass" when they put out the first trailer, to quickly becoming one of the more interesting RPGs to follow right now.
ronaldnorman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
A beautiful, 100-hour-long journey from beginning to end, Metaphor: ReFantazio takes the best elements of Persona 5 and somehow improves on them.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote
As someone who was not very impressed with Persona 5 at all despite the lavish praise it was getting, and found myself somewhat let down by SMTV's vanilla release, I'm still not sold on this one. I'll let a few weeks pass by, wait for word of mouth to spread around, and see what people are saying at that time before i make a decision
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see such a rave review for the game!
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I'll let a few weeks pass by, wait for word of mouth to spread around, and see what people are saying at that time before i make a decision

I'm kind of in the same boat; I liked but didn't love P5, and the thought of spending >80 hours playing what basically looks like Fantasy Persona is daunting in comparison to how many shorter games I could play in that time.

But the real reason I'm not buying this on release is Atlus' track record with nearly every other game they've developed since Persona 3; they're almost guaranteed to make a re-release of this game that fixes problems and adds more content, and I definitely don't want to play through an 80-hour game twice. So I'm just going to wait for the inevitable re-release and play that version if it has managed to catch my attention by then.
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:44 am Reply with quote
There's a sizeable demo of the first 8 hours or so of the game if you're on the fence. Saves transfer to full game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
But the real reason I'm not buying this on release is Atlus' track record with nearly every other game they've developed since Persona 3; they're almost guaranteed to make a re-release of this game that fixes problems and adds more content, and I definitely don't want to play through an 80-hour game twice. So I'm just going to wait for the inevitable re-release and play that version if it has managed to catch my attention by then.

Yeah, I'll probably hold off until either it's on sale or they announce a new version of the game despite being interested in it. Who knows, maybe they'll add romance in the new version. That's the biggest complaint I've seen so far.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:49 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
I'll let a few weeks pass by, wait for word of mouth to spread around, and see what people are saying at that time before i make a decision

I'm kind of in the same boat; I liked but didn't love P5, and the thought of spending >80 hours playing what basically looks like Fantasy Persona is daunting in comparison to how many shorter games I could play in that time.

This is exactly why I’m waiting too knowing Atlus a re-release is prettmuch guaranteed.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:39 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, my will is too weak to just wait for the inevitable re-release. Especially since they've addressed one of my pet peeves with "modern" Persona (why's it always gotta be high school?)

May not be my favorite game of the year, but I expect I'll have a good time with it.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Vanadise wrote:

This is exactly why I’m waiting too knowing Atlus a re-release is prettmuch guaranteed.
I will say that with Persona 3 Reload they seem to have shifted to the post-launch DLC strategy, as the have explicitly said they won't be doing an updated version of it like P5 Royal. I understand the trepidation until the explicitly say the same for Metaphor though.
ICO44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I want play launch version because most of the time in re-release they add mechanics that makes the game too easy, it happened both P5Royal and P3Reload.
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:12 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
I want play launch version because most of the time in re-release they add mechanics that makes the game too easy, it happened both P5Royal and P3Reload.

P3 Reload is a full on remake rather than a new version so it's not surprising it's easier given how remakes usually are but even FES added new things to make the original P3 game easier so your point still stands.

I usually play the original version of these games then wait a long time to replay the new version. I only played Persona 5 Royal for the first time back in 2023. Still have yet to play SMT5 Vengeance and probably wont until years down the line and I get the urge to replay ti since I did everything I wanted to already in the original.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
When I finally get around to starting Persona 4 Golden, it'll be the first Atlus game I've ever played. (Unless we count 13 Sentinels and I get to that first.) I think it might be best to hold off on wishlisting this until I know how I like Persona and have worked through some of my RPG block.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
SMT V taught me to wait a few years until the Ultimate Definitive Version of Ultimate Definitive Destiny is released for Atlus games.
Flash33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:59 am Reply with quote
I think this might be the first time I've ever seen a game get an A+ rating here. That aside given the praise it seems interesting, but since this is Atlus we're talking about I'll probably just wait a few years for the inevitable updated re-release that they're so fond of. At least there's a demo to play, so there's that at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2