• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wistoria: Wand and Sword, Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest Anime, Tower of God Season 2's English D

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
Good to see so much of the Fairy Tail cast back. There are a few replacements, most notably Levy, whose VA hasn't been active in the industry since 2018, and Panther Lily, who has likewise been absent since 2019. Odd that they're the two characters most important to Gajeel. But with such a huge cast, it's a surprise to see how many they managed to get back. I didn't have much hope for many outside of the core cast (Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Erza, Wendy and the Exceeds), and the regulars (Juvia, Gajeel, Laxus, Mirajane, Elfman and Cana).
Flash33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:24 am Reply with quote
I was wondering about the Fairy Tail cast since some don't do much TV VA work these days, such as Todd Haberkorn (he mostly does VG VA work). Nice to see they got most of them back.

As for the other shows I watched ToG S1 years ago and found it decent, though I know SM fans weren't happy about how much was cut to fit into 12 episodes so I can certainly understand the worries that S2 will share the same fate. Wistoria seems interesting & one I'll definitely be checking out. The cast there seems to be comprised of a mix of old & new, which is pretty neat (always nice to give up & comers a chance to shine now and then).

Hopefully these turn out to be good adaptations of the stories with good acting and directing on all (or at least most) fronts.
lealex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
It's strange. There was a time folks like Todd Haberkorn and Cherami Leigh were in every Funimation dub, but they've moved to different studios and mediums for so long that having them come back after so long feels almost unreal.
Flash33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
lealex wrote:
It's strange. There was a time folks like Todd Haberkorn and Cherami Leigh were in every Funimation dub, but they've moved to different studios and mediums for so long that having them come back after so long feels almost unreal.

To be fair Cherami Leigh was still seen occasionally in Funimation dubs & does still occasionally appear in TV dubs, unlike Todd Haberkorn who almost exclusively does video game roles nowadays. I do get what you mean though.

Last edited by Flash33 on Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
lealex wrote:

it's kind of a natural progression once a VA's career takes off and they move on to bigger things that pay better.
Troy Baker,Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham were also in lots of anime up until the early 2010's.
Just like how Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman were in almost every anime in the 00's until they started showing up more in games and cartoons
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Wistoria feels like your typical Crunchyroll dub cast of a lot of newer names that you'd only recognize if you'd been following various recent dubs. Also, Shannon Emerick, surprisingly enough.

There's just something kind of funny about Aleks Le following Johnny in Tower of God when he feels like the new JYB.

So apparently Laura Post will still be reprising for Crunchyroll dubs, she just won't be doing any new roles, I guess.

Sucks about having to recast Levy and Lily, but nice to see everybody else back for Fairy Tail!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1