• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence 4K Release is a Sight to See

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
As much of a Ghost in the Shell fan as I am, the second film absolutely put me to sleep. I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I'd probably liken the feeling of it to watching Lost in Translation with the audio muted and no captions - it feels like you are moving through this vibrant/exciting world with the characters in the film, but story-wise there's just not much substance happening over the course of the runtime, at least nothing as profound as the original.

I'd be willing to give it a second look in 4K, but....
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
As much of a Ghost in the Shell fan as I am, the second film absolutely put me to sleep. I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I'd probably liken the feeling of it to watching Lost in Translation with the audio muted and no captions - it feels like you are moving through this vibrant/exciting world with the characters in the film, but story-wise there's just not much substance happening over the course of the runtime, at least nothing as profound as the original.

I'd be willing to give it a second look in 4K, but....

It didn't put me to sleep, but Innocence felt underwhelming compared to the original.

I watched my FHD copy of the 2020 4K release (don't have 4K player so ripped my FHD disc instead) before watching Innocence in theater this week; the original's art is still outstanding almost 30 years later, and the story felt less... rushed.

For example (and maybe I missed something while watching Innocence in theater): spoiler[How did Batou know to look for Kim? Did Kim's name come up anywhere before they went to the northern city?] Felt like some explanations were skipped for the sake of time, though they had plenty of time for philosophical dialogues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1