• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' Might Be Tops Globally, but Not in the U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While Cowboy Bebop wasn't particularly popular in Japan

Bzzt. Wrong.

If it weren't popular in Japan, it wouldn't have garnered a movie. And this was before it hit its full popularity in the US.

Cowboy Bebop was plenty popular in Japan. It's just not as popular as in the US. I'm so tired of this bullshit being paraded around. ANN should know better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I was so pissed that I literally voted for "Innocent Starter" from Nanoha and several other songs and when I checked these had ZERO VOTES!? WHAT GIVES!?
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

If it weren't popular in Japan, it wouldn't have garnered a movie. And this was before it hit its full popularity in the US.

Cowboy Bebop was plenty popular in Japan. It's just not as popular as in the US. I'm so tired of this bullshit being paraded around. ANN should know better.

I can't believe I'm seeing on this site too this idea that Bebop wasn't popular in Japan. Like come on ANN, you should know better.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Dang none of the The Slayers songs made the top 10. Those were the first songs I downloaded from Gendou and one copy I had was so old it suffered from bit-rot.
YackDe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

Like this was pretty commonly brought up around the time of the live action series, I don't know how the misconception of Bebop's popularity is still going around.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

I once saw, I sadly don't have a link to it, a record of videotape sales in Japan in the late 90s, Bebop did pretty well there as well. It's not just ANN(and to be fair, they do say not particularly popular), every review I saw on YouTube in the late 00s and early 10s said the exact same thing, It doesmake the show feel more special "neglected in its own country, the show fount a large fanbase in the US". There is a famous quote by John Ford “When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

It's not surprising that the vast majority of the top 10 are from nostalgia titles, with the others being from popular recent titles, but it does make for a very boring list.

BTW, where can I find the full results?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of how people still like to claim Gundam Wing was unpopular in Japan. Rumors and assumptions that have circulated since the early 00's, for whatever reason.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Is NO ONE going to explain this!? "Oh we just had a glitch!" Or "Maybe you did it wrong"

I feel so sad that it was the first time I seriously voted on an ANN poll and if this is what I get it will be the last.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I’m more surprised Cha-la Head Cha-la didn’t make the top ten of any of the polls given how iconic the song is and the global popularity of Dragon Ball.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think I’m more surprised Cha-la Head Cha-la didn’t make the top ten of any of the polls given how iconic the song is and the global popularity of Dragon Ball.

That surprised me too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
BTW, where can I find the full results?

We haven't published them.

With the number of votes we got, anything beyond 15th or so isn't statistically relevant.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

The article doesn't say that it wasn't popular. It says it wasn't particularly popular. Bebop wasn't a huge hit in Japan, whereas it was a huge it (for Anime) in North America before it was broadcast on [as] and then post Broadcast it's popularity continued to grow.

Perhaps different phrasing would have been better. I'll see about getting it fixed.
YackDe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

The article doesn't say that it wasn't popular. It says it wasn't particularly popular. Bebop wasn't a huge hit in Japan, whereas it was a huge it (for Anime) in North America before it was broadcast on [as] and then post Broadcast it's popularity continued to grow.

Perhaps different phrasing would have been better. I'll see about getting it fixed.

The qualifier is still wrong. A show consistently topping charts across decades is not a sign of not being "particularly popular".
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Bzzt. Wrong.

I would say it 'was' particularly popular actually. The home market sales for Bebop when it came out were no joke. It's just that in the US, it's a significantly bigger deal so when people see Japan not treat Bebop the same way they treat, say, Evangelion, they think it's not as sucessful

I don't think anime originals get their own movie if it isn't really successful on some level.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Clearly the US just has better taste in such things. Smile

I had a super-hard time voting in this one because it felt like I'd be forced to leave out some absolute all-timers no matter what I chose. The results are largely what I'd expect, though I think there's some pretty strong recency bias with Oshi no Ko and Frieren getting represented. Great to see "Inner Universe" sneak into the non-US list. What has me scratching my head the most is "Again" from FMA: Brotherhood. I watched the whole series yet had to look up which opening it was. It's the only one I actually remember, and it's a good enough song, but an all-time classic? Nah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3