• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The House that Gainax Built

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of those three Medaka Box is the only outright stinker, and that's mostly down to the source material-sucking elephant farts.

Well there's ANN's credibility gone.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their intermediary work at that time, Nadia, also failed to make a big splash.

Uh, the 1990 Animage Anime Grand Prix says otherwise, but I guess the point is that Gainax made no money from Nadia because they were just a hired-gun studio doing all of the hard work, while Toho, NHK and Korad co-owned the copyright.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The sheer lack of Hanamaru Kindergarten is so sad. Its such a cute and heartwarming series with kids that arent cute to appeal to creepy otaku, and have very wholesome and innocent designs. One of the last true great anime from Gainax.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
The sheer lack of Hanamaru Kindergarten is so sad. Its such a cute and heartwarming series with kids that arent cute to appeal to creepy otaku, and have very wholesome and innocent designs. One of the last true great anime from Gainax.

Why would you like Gainax if you dislike creepy otaku stuff? They were the otaku company.
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I have some fondness for Wish Upon the Pleiades. It was refreshing at the time as one of the only post-Madoka adult-targeted magical girl series that wasn't grimdark or even particularly fanservicey (outside the one swimsuit episode). Instead it was all about the wonder and majesty of space, parallel universes, medium hard sci-fi, and a surprisingly sweet romance.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hatless wrote:

What credibility?

The sheer lack of Hanamaru Kindergarten is so sad ... One of the last true great anime from Gainax.

Could not agree more.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
I have some fondness for Wish Upon the Pleiades. It was refreshing at the time as one of the only post-Madoka adult-targeted magical girl series that wasn't grimdark or even particularly fanservicey (outside the one swimsuit episode). Instead it was all about the wonder and majesty of space, parallel universes, medium hard sci-fi, and a surprisingly sweet romance.

It also was an ad for subaru and was the last tv anime they made
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
q_3 wrote:

It also was an ad for subaru and was the last tv anime they made

Wan Ofu (One Off) was a much better advertisement for Honda than Hōkago no Pureadesu (Wish Upon the Pleiades) was for Subaru - nothing about the latter really makes one want to run out and buy a Subaru car.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:11 am Reply with quote
Hatless wrote:
Quote:
Of those three Medaka Box is the only outright stinker, and that's mostly down to the source material-sucking elephant farts.

Agreed. Basically the best episodes of that godawful adaptation were the ones that weren't adapting the original manga.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
Think of it this way.

Bunch of guys wanted to make anime their way, got together and made some magic, but they weren't businessmen. Some matured and some didn't.

If things didn't happen the way it did, we wouldn't have what we have now.

Think that is a nicer way of thinking about Gainax's history.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Think of it this way.

Bunch of guys wanted to make anime their way, got together and made some magic, but they weren't businessmen. Some matured and some didn't.
thry.

The two ways of maturing were fun too. Some became bussinesmen, others understood they are not bussinesmen and became friends of people who were.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Their intermediary work at that time, Nadia, also failed to make a big splash.

Uh, the 1990 Animage Anime Grand Prix says otherwise

It's such an amazingly ignorant comment to make. Contrary Steve and Nick's assertions, Nadia was insanely popular at the time. You only have to look at the covers of anime magazines of the era to see that, plus the copious amounts of merchandise that was made. In addition to wining Animage's Grand Prix, the series was rebroadcast four times on NHK between 1994 and 2012 and Nadia finally toppled Nausicaä from her several years long rein for the top spot in Animage's character poll, which is extraordinary. There has also been a 30th anniversary exhibition which has been running for two years, now touring in Osaka.

The series is the second most successful franchise Gainax produced, and yet it only receives a passing mention in the article. It's quite extraordinary. Then again I see zero mentions of any of the game and software titles that saved the company post Nadia (which injected some much need cashflow into the company), in particular their biggest hit, Princess Maker. There's a mocking reference of the game's anime adaptation, Petite Princess Yucie, but that's it.

I've never much liked the format of TWiA, but if you're just going to mock the company and it's titles and ignore it's biggest successes (because of ignorance), I mean, why even bother?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
here's a reason nobody's clamoring for license rescues of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World or He Is My Master
That has already happened to the later

For me, the title I want the most is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm just saying that if we're going to eulogize Wings of Honneamaise (sic), we must also pay respects to Petite Princess Yucie with equal gusto.

*tiny voice* I liked Petite Princess Yucie more than Wings of Honneamise. The former is the best GAINAX production no one ever talks about.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:

Why would you like Gainax if you dislike creepy otaku stuff? They were the otaku company.

Oh dont get me wrong, Gainax I hate. The only other anime from them I like is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt because its hard to hate a tribute to gross western cartoons (And that the grossness is wore on its sleeve with Panty) and Gunbuster. I really didn't think Evangelion was anything to write home about. But I know their work CAN be and was great so I still said "last great anime from Gainax".

I wanna check out Gurren Lagann though. Nadia and Honneamise look awesome too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1