• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sherlock Hound Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I might be the only one, but I was always really bothered by their lack of tails. (Almost as annoying as Doraemon not having ears.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So I got chance to watch several episodes of Sherlock Hound on Retrocrush, and I got to say I think this anime can appeal to kids that have been watching Hayao Miyazaki's (or any of Studio Ghibli's) work (and I can include Future Boy Conan).

If you're a parent reading this and you're looking for a anime that has the same feel like Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki for your young one out there, this anime series and Future Boy Conan will have that same feel given that Miyazaki worked on both of them before founding Studio Ghibli.

Kennedy, you wrote:
It's pretty visually apparent which of the six episodes Miyazaki (who, across those six episodes, is credited for chief direction, episode direction, storyboard, and script of episode three*) worked on. I say this not only because one can see several familiar gestures, movements, and faces (the faces of Commander Raythunder and his brother, for example, look like they could be the blueprint for the faces of the kashira, aka the three heads, in Spirited Away), but also because he made the fur of one of Moriarty's henchmen, Smiley, green (he's brown in the other episodes).

Yep, I can spot those too if one is a long time fan of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli's work, and have watch a lot of his works.

Kennedy, you also wrote:
Speaking of watching this series on RetroCrush, they have both the dub and sub of Hound available. After giving both a chance, I found myself preferring the dub. This isn't to say the subbed version is bad—in fact, it's quite good. But the late Hamilton Camp delivers such a perfectly hammy performance as Professor Moriarty that I simply have to give the edge to the dub.

I haven't got chance to watch the dub (well I'm a dub watcher/lover and I watched Sherlock Hound subtitled first on Retrocrush, and another reason is I didn't grew up watching this anime as a kid so that's why I didn't watch it dub). But there is a big plus of having this series subtitled: If you have young kids with a advanced-level reading skill (yes, they exist. One of my niece when she was 7 years old, her reading level was off the chart), the Japanese audio with English subtitles really does come in handy to give those young kids with higher level reading skill a good level of challenges. I always advocated that if a young kid with a higher level reading skill and really love to read books or watching TV and movies with closed captioning and/or SDH on, then turn on a foreign-language kid content with English subtitle on to give them/add challenges to their reading.

Oh and:

and lastly Kennedy, you wrote:
Con: Probably too kiddy for those looking for more traditional, by-the-book Sherlock Holmes-ian fare.

Well this animation was targeted toward children demographic, so this anime is not for everyone. The 6 episodes that were handled by Hayao Miyazaki are worth watching if you're a fan of his work, if you got young kids that loved and enjoyed Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki's work, those particular 6 episodes will really impressed and appealed to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched this back when TMS uploaded it to YouTube, and as a Holmes fan it was a real blast. As you'd expect, the Miyazaki episodes in particular were delightful. I second the dub recommendation; it just feels right for Hound to have a proper British accent.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
As someone who watched it as a kid on land TV, the chapters were just not "misplaced" , but they changed the script of the 1st episode to make the viewers believe Sherlock and Watson were "pretending" they didn't know each other*, when actually it was the first time they meet!

Also, I am quite sure that all around the world the series was called "Sherlock Holmes" except in English-speaking countries. In the same way Lupin III was Lupin almost all around the globe [except in France, where he was Edgar, for a while]. Because lawyers had far less reach those days.

* even as kids we didn't buy it totally.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I had an old bootleg copy of the show with eng dub back in the late 80s on vhs. I watched it to death. No idea where my mother obtained the tape. I of course bought the bluray when it was available mainly for nostalgia, but I still enjoyed watching through them.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that the first 6 or so episodes were the original production order of the series, and for reasons I'm not sure, whenever TMS has added the series for streaming overseas, the English version often follows the production order rather than on-air/chronological order.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While it's fun to look for little Miyazaki-isms in the episodes he worked on, overall, the art and animation, relative to other things being made at the time, are neither ruff nor overtly impressive.

Definitely disagree with this take. The action scenes and pacing in the episodes Miyazaki worked on are truly great for TV animation of the early to mid eighties. Just take the chase scene from A small client for example. The amount of detail of the mechanical designs and debree flying around, the crowd of people running & dodging, the fast paced cuts and mise-en-scène overall, these are all blueprints for what Miyazaki later did in Laputa or Porco Rosso. To me he has always been a great action animation director first before starting to being known worldwide for his mystical world building with weird creatures. His Sherlock Hound episodes are a showcase of his talent as an action animation director.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
I watched the show with my boyfriend last year (I got the Discotek blu-ray of it) and we had a really good time with it. Sometimes, you just want a fun Saturday morning cartoon.

We also decided that the show is extremely good fodder for like, a classic style point and click adventure game and that someone needs to get on that.

Quote:
To me he has always been a great action animation director first before starting to being known worldwide for his mystical world building with weird creatures. His Sherlock Hound episodes are a showcase of his talent as an action animation director.

Honestly, yeah. There's a whole sequence where Mrs. Hudson drives the duo to catch a plane and it's extremely well done.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:

Honestly, yeah. There's a whole sequence where Mrs. Hudson drives the duo to catch a plane and it's extremely well done.

Ooh, yeah, that episode had some fantastic sequences in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1