• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Wife Has No Emotion (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:51 pm Reply with quote

My Wife Has No Emotion (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 7 volumes, by Jirō Sugiura)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions

Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction

Themes: androids, artificial intelligence, robots

Plot Summary: Takuma is a single guy who does nothing but go to work and come home. Too tired to do chores, he decides to get a robot to cook and keep house. “Mina-chan” is such a good housekeeper, Takuma jokes that she should become his wife. Mina takes Takuma's joke seriously, and slowly the two start doing more things together, like having a picnic outside. As time goes by, Takuma starts to fall for Mina...

Air Date & Platform:
June 29, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
And there is my first nope of the season. I just can't with loser mc's who have no personality and are horribly awkward anymore. To add to that is a premise that instead of cute just seems rather creepy to me. A dude who is so lonely that he views the robot that he got as his wife and sole reason to live for since he has nothing else, not even a single simple hobby to keep him going. It is presented as cute yet I just can't see it that way, it seems depressing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:00 am Reply with quote
Y’know, more than one person put some real effort into this anime. The background music is nice, and I thought the closing song was pretty tight. The art and anime aren’t flashy, but they’re certainly better than anime produced on the cheap. Which makes me kind of sad, because I spent most of the anime thinking about Garfield Minus Garfield. If you don’t know, Garfield Minus Garfield is a web strip where they remove Garfield from the comic strip and just have Jim talking to himself. It’s described as a man’s harrowing descent into madness and isolation.

And all throughout this anime, I kept wondering what it would be like if they removed the fem-bot’s voice, or showed the guy talking to a toaster oven and really doing all the cooking and cleaning himself. Does this make the guy’s vacuum cleaner his ex? Is an inflatable girlfriend going to show up and turn this into a harem comedy?

If the show were taking some kind of route like the movie Her I might hang with it, but it seems to be trying for a quirky, romantic vibe, and personally, I'm not really feeling it. It's a drop for me too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1