• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom Game With Zelda as Main Character

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
I’m pretty excited. Zelda deserved her own game.
FishLion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic! I always wanted to play as Zelda and the way they have written her as far back as Wind Waker has always seems like the type of story that would be fun to focus on, with the recent Tears of the Kingdom proving how much depth focusing on her experiences can add. Which does make me wonder, will she talk like usual or be silent like Link in his games?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
Looks fun.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
They should've committed to the bit and called it The Legend of Link: Echoes of Wisdom Laughing

Seriously, though, it's about time!
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
Riding off the success of Wand of Gamelon I see.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
This honestly looks like a real fun time. Very Happy
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
Wahahaha... "Legend of Link" its trending.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:14 pm Reply with quote
My interest level dropped the moment they showed combat happens second-hand, by summoning things. I have to assume that summoning rocks and bombs is more or less the same as using them naturally but.... instead of giving her tons of crazy spells they gave her tables and beds.

I don't know what to make of tables and beds.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:43 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
My interest level dropped the moment they showed combat happens second-hand, by summoning things. I have to assume that summoning rocks and bombs is more or less the same as using them naturally but.... instead of giving her tons of crazy spells they gave her tables and beds.

I like the fact she has a different gameplay style and it's just not a palette swap of Link's gameplay. It's the same thing they did with the Peach game which plays much differently than regular Mario games. I guess they took the item crafting gimmick from Tears of the Kingdom and applied it here. The only real downside to me is I was not the biggest fan of the Link's Awakening remake artstyle but it works better as it's own game rather than replacing an older game.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

I don't know what to make of tables and beds.

You go full gremlin and chuck Octoroks at bosses, that's what
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Is this just going to be the standard art style for all top-down Zelda games going forward.
Doubleclouder wrote:
I like the fact she has a different gameplay style and it's just not a palette swap of Link's gameplay.
Really? My impression is that is exactly what it is. I could easily see this being having the exact same gameplay, only with Link. Honestly, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to have tried a completely new genre.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the Link's Awakening engine is still in use. Hopefully they can use it for more remakes in the future.

This game looks like a lot of fun though. It looks like it got a lot of inspiration from Tears of the Kingdom, so it should be interesting to see how much this game can be broken Laughing
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The new meta is suddenly "Build fort made of beds, summon army of Octorok turrets safely behind them". Laughing
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Really? My impression is that is exactly what it is. I could easily see this being having the exact same gameplay, only with Link. Honestly, I think it would have been a lot more interesting to have tried a completely new genre.

I think they mean like the people on social media complaining how Zelda isn't allowed to use a sword and Nintendo are cowards for not giving her one. For the longest time people wanted playable Zelda but in the sense she'd just be a female Link with a sword and shield, hookshot, boomerange, and all the usual stuff.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I know at least one thing I'm asking for for Christmas this year now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2