• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baten Kaitos HD Remaster Collection Launches for PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks good!
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I just bought this. I know someone will mod the English dubs back in for the pc release. I should have waited! Confused
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:21 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I just bought this. I know someone will mod the English dubs back in for the pc release. I should have waited! Confused

It's already happened, sounds like it's pretty drag & drop too from what I've read - relatively uncomplicated to install.

I wanna say I have a mint copy kept somewhere safe, but I've never had the time to really sit down and run these. Now that it's on PC I am very much interested in getting a copy since I never got my hands on the second game.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:08 am Reply with quote
Any idea why the English dub was not included for this re-release?
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:57 am Reply with quote
There's a number of different factors - a lot of people are suspicious BamCo didn't want to shell out for a Switch cart that could hold dual audio. The game's script is a bit more cleaned up in spots but altered in others - the devs apparently said in interview that updating the script meant the spoken English audio would not match the original performances (keeping in mind there's a particular character in one of the games that leans potentially racially-insensitive and I can very much see why they'd have tweaked it). I'd be interested to know if the JP audio track is unchanged in that section, because it means if it's fine & acceptable as-is in the JP version to leave it unchanged, either the original ENG team effed up or the new one did when translating the character.

The original Baten Kaitos GCN release has the notorious status of being one of "the worst dubbed RPGs ever made" - my educated guess is that to restore a level professionalism and respectability to the first game, the dub was discarded across the collection due to the notoriety. All of the above elements probably apply in various amounts IMO.

From what I'm seeing, the spoken JP audio and the script are matching really well so far as I can tell and for all intent and purpose, the GCN versions are made obsolete by the PC release. The ENG dub doesn't even seem to need a mod loader, you can just overwrite the files so with exception to a few weird situations where wine is grape juice (likely for ESRB oddness), the PC version is worth it unless any odd bugs or errors start popping up late-game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1