• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavenly Delusion Director Discusses Keeping the Story Straight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
MORI: It was, in fact, quite a challenge because there is a lot of skipping between timelines and locations. The show had to tell a story without confusing the audience. However, a TV episode is limited to 20 minutes in length—a lot of source material from the manga needed to be skipped over. So, the challenge was to selectively skip over material without making the anime confusing to the audience.

This is one of my biggest issues with modern anime adaptations. It's frustrating how (most) shows are still forced to cookie cut their episodes into filling a 20-minute mold... even in the age of streaming. Some anime episodes feel longer than necessary, but for the most part, it feels like just a few extra minutes could make a world of difference. The second season of Re:Zero experimented with this, but I can't think of many other examples that break the mold (outside of shows exclusive to streaming platforms). Airing on live television, which requires dealing with predetermined time slots and commercials, feels so outdated in 2024. It's frustrating to see shows with so much potential held back by time constraints (both runtime and # of episodes, although the latter is a story for another day).

Just to be clear, I absolutely loved Heavenly Delusion, but I feel it could have been even better with fewer restrictions.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:53 am Reply with quote
As someone who's read the manga, there really isn't a huge amount of stuff that was cut(I can really only think of one scene in particular). If anything, some of the scenes were rearranged so that there weren't entire "Heaven" or "Hell" episodes.

Really interesting interview! I liked how he was describing how to leave expectations to the viewers rather than inadvertently doing it for them.
Velluekk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:21 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
This is one of my biggest issues with modern anime adaptations. It's frustrating how (most) shows are still forced to cookie cut their episodes into filling a 20-minute mold... even in the age of streaming. Some anime episodes feel longer than necessary, but for the most part, it feels like just a few extra minutes could make a world of difference. The second season of Re:Zero experimented with this, but I can't think of many other examples that break the mold (outside of shows exclusive to streaming platforms). Airing on live television, which requires dealing with predetermined time slots and commercials, feels so outdated in 2024. It's frustrating to see shows with so much potential held back by time constraints (both runtime and # of episodes, although the latter is a story for another day).

Just to be clear, I absolutely loved Heavenly Delusion, but I feel it could have been even better with fewer restrictions.

Television is not a problem since they can air it on 1-hour timeslots like other anime do. Also, it should be available both on TV and streaming so more people can watch it and get more money since they put commercials every 10 minutes. You know, advertisers pay a lot of money to put their ads on Televison since half of the population of Japan still watches anime on television and the other half watches their anime on streaming since most anime are mostly owned by Japanese television since they are always in the production committee. Of course, they will make it both on television and via streaming. There is no way that they can't find a Japanese television channel that can air more than 20 minutes, because we all know that there are a lot of Japanese TV networks that broadcast anime.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The thing is that there are times the manga also was primarily focused on Heaven rather than Hell so even monthly readers had to wait. Around volume 8 of the manga, the whole connection between two scenarios is properly explained though anime ended up in volume 6. The anime didn't solve the biggest mystery of why Tokio and Maru have the same face but it's obvious as heck when you reach the final episodes.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell is season 2?!
SonicSP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:55 am Reply with quote
Needs more content on the manga side, since it's monthly. Also I recall the first volume sold really poorly when it first came out. Not sure whether it ever recovered or not. That makes it less likely to get a second season.
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
SonicSP wrote:
Needs more content on the manga side, since it's monthly. Also I recall the first volume sold really poorly when it first came out. Not sure whether it ever recovered or not. That makes it less likely to get a second season.

Can't believe people still believe, at this day and age, that disc sales make or break a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1